Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

• 1 month later...

• 6 months later...

First (very brief) snow shower of the winter in Hull this morning. Looking at the bank of cloud towards the North Sea they're probably getting more around Bridlington and Hornsea way.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:01 AM, Ullman said:

First (very brief) snow shower of the winter in Hull this morning. Looking at the bank of cloud towards the North Sea they're probably getting more around Bridlington and Hornsea way.

Getting a little chilly today...I would even go so far as to say its cold outside!  Won't be playing any rugger today.  Below is the forecast!:

"A period of severely cold wind chills is expected.

Wind chill values near minus 30 continue today.

This bitterly cold Arctic airmass will remain in place through the weekend with wind chill values near minus 30 expected today. Tonight even colder wind chill values of minus 35 to minus 40 are expected.

Wind chill values will moderate above the warning criteria of minus 30 later on Monday as winds ease, but cold temperatures near minus 20 or colder are still expected Monday night.

Risks are greater for young children, older adults, people with chronic illnesses, people working or exercising outdoors, and those without proper shelter.

Cover up. Frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin, especially with wind chill.

If it's too cold for you to stay outside, it's too cold for your pet to stay outside.

Extreme cold warnings are issued when very cold temperatures or wind chill creates an elevated risk to health such as frost bite and hypothermia."

Edited by Kayakman

7 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Getting a little chilly today...I would even go so far as to say its cold outside!  Won't be playing any rugger today.  Below is the forecast!:

This bitterly cold Arctic airmass will remain in place through the weekend with wind chill values near minus 30 expected today. Tonight even colder wind chill values of minus 35 to minus 40 are expected.

Wind chill values will moderate above the warning criteria of minus 30 later on Monday as winds ease, but cold temperatures near minus 20 or colder are still expected Monday night.

Risks are greater for young children, older adults, people with chronic illnesses, people working or exercising outdoors, and those without proper shelter.

Cover up. Frostbite can develop within minutes on exposed skin, especially with wind chill.

If it's too cold for you to stay outside, it's too cold for your pet to stay outside.

Extreme cold warnings are issued when very cold temperatures or wind chill creates an elevated risk to health such as frost bite and hypothermia."

Paah, you would still get lads in tee shirts and lasses in short skirts and bare legs trawling the pub's on a night out over here in those temps.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

That is cold weather , cant make a mistake travelling etc . Not kayaking weather I guess .

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

Paah, you would still get lads in tee shirts and lasses in short skirts and bare legs trawling the pub's on a night out over here in those temps.

Nah methinks!

1 hour ago, henage said:

That is cold weather , cant make a mistake travelling etc . Not kayaking weather I guess .

Was just out back for a bit with the dog.  Its the wind that cuts like a knife and takes the breath away.  There would be heavy ice spray out on the water...a killer as it builds up...NO KAYAKING TODAY!

Minus 40 tonight is cold so have the cars plugged in...worried about the fuel though, it will start to jelly....sometimes tires start to go square.  Can hear the rafters in the roof cracking at night....cold outer walls.

Is supposed to be a Blood Wolf moon tonight...this is something that hardly ever happens (both at once)....I'll be out with the binos for sure...she will be nippy all right!

Edited by Kayakman
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Nah methinks!

Well the lasses might rub a bit of chip fat on their legs to keep the chill off but in places like Fev or Cas they'd run the risk of turning the lads on too much!

• Haha 1

I think I've seen 2 flakes of snow so far this winter.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Was just out back for a bit with the dog.  Its the wind that cuts like a knife and takes the breath away.  There would be heavy ice spray out on the water...a killer as it builds up...NO KAYAKING TODAY!

Minus 40 tonight is cold so have the cars plugged in...worried about the fuel though, it will start to jelly....sometimes tires start to go square.  Can hear the rafters in the roof cracking at night....cold outer walls.

Is supposed to be a Blood Wolf moon tonight...this is something that hardly ever happens (both at once)....I'll be out with the binos for sure...she will be nippy all right!

Its not even below freezing here . BUT wood burner is turned to number 11 . Moon should be Orange - ish between 4.30/7.30am here in the UK . Insulation , what do you insulate your house with , needs to be good .

3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

We had about an inch last week.

May I be the first of this winter to say fnar, fnar?

• Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

We had a bit of snow in Coventry during the friendly against Leeds on Friday night. Big flakes but not enough to settle. One of our new Aussies said it was the first time he had seen snow falling and he could not believe the game was not abandoned!

Going up to Barrow on the train this morning the mountains towards Coniston were white over but I didnt see any on the Pennines East of Wigan.

Edited by Bearman
  • Like 1

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

10 hours ago, Bearman said:

We had a bit of snow in Coventry during the friendly against Leeds on Friday night. Big flakes but not enough to settle. One of our new Aussies said it was the first time he had seen snow falling and he could not believe the game was not abandoned!

Going up to Barrow on the train this morning the mountains towards Coniston were white over but I didnt see any on the Pennines East of Wigan.

Back in I think 1968 Keighley signed 3 Aussie's: Tommy Searle, Ivan Pascoe & John Green, the club put Searle & his wife, who was expecting at the time, in a house on the opposite side of the road to us and the other two in a flat nearby. Come November and the first snow of the winter and they were out in the road playing in it for hours, snowball fights, sliding, me and my mates showed them how to build a proper snowman complete with a carrot nose,. they loved it, but wouldn't believe us when we told them they might be playing a game in it at the weekend, needless to say the magic soon wore off as they shivered through a proper winter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, henage said:

Its not even below freezing here . BUT wood burner is turned to number 11 . Moon should be Orange - ish between 4.30/7.30am here in the UK . Insulation , what do you insulate your house with , needs to be good .

Well I've always beefed up the insulation over time. ..have the traditional fiberglass between the studs, then vapour barrier ,then the interior wall, on the other side have metallic housewrap then siding.  Have fiberglass in rafters covered with metallic sheeting blanket covering rafters.  All interior concrete walls are covered with metallic thermal vapour barrier/metallic bubble wrap.  All windows are double paned with interior thermal barrier (wish I had went triple).  Seems to work pretty good.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 11:35 PM, henage said:

Woodburner? Nooooooooooooooooo! ???

https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/are-wood-burners-bad-for-the-environment/

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Well I've always beefed up the insulation over time. ..have the traditional fiberglass between the studs, then vapour barrier ,then the interior wall, on the other side have metallic housewrap then siding.  Have fiberglass in rafters covered with metallic sheeting blanket covering rafters.  All interior concrete walls are covered with metallic thermal vapour barrier/metallic bubble wrap.  All windows are double paned with interior thermal barrier (wish I had went triple).  Seems to work pretty good.

How you supposed to hear the neighbours having a domestic through all that?? Positives of living in an old end terrace in Hull, the wall between mine and next doors house is basically a sheet of newspaper. Of course round here if you don't hear a domestic going on you don't think, oh they've made up, like most places, you think, oh she's killed him... Oh well, I wonder what's going on on totalrl... 

19 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It's amazing how regularly government policy changes on these thing. Just like when we were encouraged to buy diesel I remember getting a grant and being encouraged to buy a wood burning stove because they were considered green and efficient.

2 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

How you supposed to hear the neighbours having a domestic through all that?? Positives of living in an old end terrace in Hull, the wall between mine and next doors house is basically a sheet of newspaper. Of course round here if you don't hear a domestic going on you don't think, oh they've made up, like most places, you think, oh she's killed him... Oh well, I wonder what's going on on totalrl... 

Well, if it gets real bad usually gunshots give you a clue.

• Haha 1