Football

What a crazy football day.

These were just 'my' bits:

And here's  Newhaven celebrating that title:

53669433829_588d9d018a_z.jpg

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 minutes ago, DavidM said:

None of those Forest pens were clearcut , and i say that as an impartial observer .  

As an Evertonian, I thought at least one of them was going to be given. However, do I think any of them were so bad they deserved a free shot at goal with an 80% chance of scoring? No, but that's a gripe for another day.

The Forest tweet was very unprofessional though, to the point I presumed it was fake at first. Don't get me wrong, many moons ago I remember arguing on here about non-neutral referees and how I think they're a nonsense, but to actively suggest they made decisions to benefit Luton is completely out of order.

It is funny seeing the mental gymnastics required to justify why the PL wanted to rig a game in favour of a team they've taken 8 points off this year.

8 hours ago, DavidM said:

None of those Forest pens were clearcut , and i say that as an impartial observer .  

I think the handball was a clear penalty given how handball is called now. The others would, I think, now always go with the on field ref's call.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

As an Evertonian, I thought at least one of them was going to be given. However, do I think any of them were so bad they deserved a free shot at goal with an 80% chance of scoring? No, but that's a gripe for another day.

The Forest tweet was very unprofessional though, to the point I presumed it was fake at first. Don't get me wrong, many moons ago I remember arguing on here about non-neutral referees and how I think they're a nonsense, but to actively suggest they made decisions to benefit Luton is completely out of order.

It is funny seeing the mental gymnastics required to justify why the PL wanted to rig a game in favour of a team they've taken 8 points off this year.

Yes as an impartial Everton fan they weren’t clear cut 

In a time that the sky, premier league, champions league juggernaut with its excessive wages and var controversy dominates, it was great to attend the Cumberland senior cup final last night. The 2 biggest clubs in the county Carlisle utd and Workington afc went head to head in a tight game in front of  over 1100 spectators, with the reds gaining a deserved 1-0 victory. The competition has a cracking history played since 1885with the winners list a snapshot of the region’s industrial decline, there is a cracking book detailing its history available on line for the anoraks amongst us.

Finally a quick rl moan why is it whenever I attend a football game at any level the attendance is always given out whereas the rugby league teams treat them as some state secret

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

That’s Liverpool done in the title race. Absolutely fallen apart in the last month. 

Yeah fair play to Everton they wanted it more especially in that first 30 minutes. There was always a danger of this happening once Klopp announced his retirement. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Yeah fair play to Everton they wanted it more especially in that first 30 minutes. There was always a danger of this happening once Klopp announced his retirement. 

Everton were excellent (said through gritted teeth). Well done to them. 

Not sure Klopp’s departure is the root issue. Liverpool have not performed since the City home game. The loss of form in key players like Salah, Núñez and the loss of Jota with injury has completely stopped the challenge. Those two - Salah and Núñez - have been awful. Work rate on both plus their finishing has been horrific. You simply can’t do that when trying to compete against City. 

With Parkgate beating Wombwell, Beverley Town will finish second in the NCEL Div 1 and so will have a playoff against Retford United, crazy considering we've finished the campaign on 103 points. 

It was due to be a home playoff but the cricket club are not letting us use the ground so we are having to play at a neutral venue in Winterton, near Scunthorpe, so looks like this goose is taking a trip across the bridge. 

The club have already said they are putting on a double decker bus free of charge for fans which is a fantastic gesture but I just hope this doesn't damage the club too much financially seen as we could have easily got 500 fans at home for this game and now maybe 100 will travel for it. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 2

Everton mathematically safe now with their win against Brentford. Well unless they get anymore points took off them. So with Sheffield Utd relegated. That leaves Burnley 24pts, Luton 25pts and Forest 26pts to battle it out to stay up. 

18 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Going to be a new team in the EFL next season,  Bromley,  Altrincham or Solihull Moors. Hopefully Bromley,  from a Londoner's (my) point of view.

Didn't Tommy Docherty once describe Altrincham as the "Manchester United" of non league football🤣 and that they could easily attain crowds of 10000 ? that was when he was appointed as manager, I don't think he felt the same 12 months later.

55 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Everton mathematically safe now with their win against Brentford. Well unless they get anymore points took off them. So with Sheffield Utd relegated. That leaves Burnley 24pts, Luton 25pts and Forest 26pts to battle it out to stay up. 

Without knowing the fixtures, I think Forest will have too much, unless there's another points deduction.

1 hour ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Didn't Tommy Docherty once describe Altrincham as the "Manchester United" of non league football🤣 and that they could easily attain crowds of 10000 ? that was when he was appointed as manager, I don't think he felt the same 12 months later.

That would be in the days of the Alliance when they, and Telford, kept knocking league clubs out of the cup but could never get into the Football League.

On 25/04/2024 at 19:41, GeordieSaint said:

Everton were excellent (said through gritted teeth). Well done to them. 

Not sure Klopp’s departure is the root issue. Liverpool have not performed since the City home game. The loss of form in key players like Salah, Núñez and the loss of Jota with injury has completely stopped the challenge. Those two - Salah and Núñez - have been awful. Work rate on both plus their finishing has been horrific. You simply can’t do that when trying to compete against City. 

I think the root issue has been that Liverpool have exceeded expectations up until now, I don't think there was an expectation of being in a title race this season after falling out of the top four. But we did well, got through a bad patch of injuries and just when it felt like you're getting a few players back it all fell apart. I think it was symptomatic of being a team that's underbaked and not ready yet colliding with the business end of the season with everyone having this fairytale ending idea stuck in their head. 

The team's done well this year, it was meant to be transitional and they've all but secured top four, won a trophy and were in the title race up until the last few games. You offer that people at the start people would bite your hand off it's just because of events the desire for greater things became the yardstick, there's the makings of a good side there. 

• Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

9 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I think the root issue has been that Liverpool have exceeded expectations up until now, I don't think there was an expectation of being in a title race this season after falling out of the top four. But we did well, got through a bad patch of injuries and just when it felt like you're getting a few players back it all fell apart. I think it was symptomatic of being a team that's underbaked and not ready yet colliding with the business end of the season with everyone having this fairytale ending idea stuck in their head. 

The team's done well this year, it was meant to be transitional and they've all but secured top four, won a trophy and were in the title race up until the last few games. You offer that people at the start people would bite your hand off it's just because of events the desire for greater things became the yardstick, there's the makings of a good side there. 

Spot on plus they effectively had to change the first choice midfield in the off season. This off season I’m assuming Salah and VVD will leave possibly even TAA if we can’t get him to sign a contract and Robertson will move to more of a squad player. For me how well we do replacing those will decide if we are challenging again next year or drop back into the pack. I also think the squads missing an out and out number 9. We have players who want to play off either wing and ones who are suited to dropping into the number 10 role. The team is screaming out for a goalscorer obviously we aren’t in the market for a Kane or a Haaland level player but a Toney or even a Solanke on current form would give the team another threat. 

• Like 1

Sheffield Wednesday on the verge of the most unlikely of great escapes. Only need a point in the last game at Sunderland, and that's if both Birmingham and Plymouth win. Remarkable to even have a chance after being on 2 points after 10 games.

I’m no fan of Arsenal and I’d much predate Spurs to win this. For arsenals 3rd goal watching a few Spurs fans leaning over giving Rice abuse as he takes the corner. Then seeing him turn to face them when they’d scored was lovely. 

9 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I’m no fan of Arsenal and I’d much predate Spurs to win this. For arsenals 3rd goal watching a few Spurs fans leaning over giving Rice abuse as he takes the corner. Then seeing him turn to face them when they’d scored was lovely. 

Sorry to any Spurs fans but I was hoping Arsenal would win this, just because I want Villa to get the final Champions League spot.

• Like 1

My close friend of many years was a Burnley fanatic, he would be delighted to see that they have a chance of staying in the Premiership. Two from three teams will be relegated.

The landlord of my "local" (it's actually in the city centre) is also a Burnley fanatic and feels the same.

Following my friend's death, I became a nominal Burnley fan, so I too should be delighted. However the team is full of foreign players ... far more than were in the team that got promoted.

My feeling is that I hope Burnley stay up ... but I'm not much bothered if they don't.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police