28 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Toulouse
    • Barrow

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in the French league and one failed attempt in the English league

There are lots and lots and lots of English teams who have had failed attempts in England; every single one of them will have had fewer difficulties and far better conditions to survive and compete in English leagues than Toulouse. But lets just brush over that shall we...

As for today, really pleased Toulouse have promoted; thoroughly deserved it over the course of the year. Really hoping the Leigh win wasn't a fluke and they compete for a top four place in the Championship. Their future success is vital to French and Northern Hemisphere RL.

There are lots and lots and lots of English teams who have had failed attempts in England; every single one of them will have had fewer difficulties and far better conditions to survive and compete in English leagues than Toulouse. But lets just brush over that shall we...

As for today, really pleased Toulouse have promoted; thoroughly deserved it over the course of the year. Really hoping the Leigh win wasn't a fluke and they compete for a top four place in the Championship. Their future success is vital to French and Northern Hemisphere RL.

I really wouldn't waste your breath/ fingers on this chap. Probably the most tedious, one-dimensional poster we have had on here.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Surely the second most?

Yeah, I am probably a candidate too, but at least I am tedious on a variety of topics.

Poor Deano would blow a fuse if he knew where I'd spent my afternoon - traipsing around the drizzly outer perimeter of Lamport Stadium, Toronto, taking photos for my scrapbook.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

There are lots and lots and lots of English teams who have had failed attempts in England; every single one of them will have had fewer difficulties and far betagreedter conditions to survive and compete in English leagues than Toulouse. But lets just brush over that shall we...

agreed by none of them were full time and played finals at home

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Glad Tolouse went up it would of been a travesty otherwise.

I hope the RFL take a realistic analysis on Toronto before deciding what league to put them in. If they clearly have a team which is going to dominate CC1 sides I'd rather they put them in them in the championship.

I watched Tolouse play at Craven Park and they absolutely dominated Barrow. You could see a difference in class between them. People are acting like Tolouse scraped out of this league, but they didn't. Apart from a loss at home to Rochdale they would of made a mockery out of the league much like Toronto might next year.

I've read the rumours as to what Toronto might be signing, is there any point in having a repeat of Tolouse. People thinking that Tolouse scraped out of this league are absolutely deluded, they lost 1 game in 20 odd, if that game was at the start of the season people would be ignoring it completely

Well Toulouse have now gained promotion to the League the were in before... Toulouse should count themselves lucky there are some people out there with extreme promotion relegation fetishes who want Toulouse to start in Wakefiled under 5 year olds competition and make Super League from there.

I hope the RFL take a realistic analysis on Toronto before deciding what league to put them in. If they clearly have a team which is going to dominate CC1 sides I'd rather they put them in them in the championship.

I watched Tolouse play at Craven Park and they absolutely dominated Barrow. You could see a difference in class between them. People are acting like Tolouse scraped out of this league, but they didn't. Apart from a loss at home to Rochdale they would of made a mockery out of the league much like Toronto might next year.

I've read the rumours as to what Toronto might be signing, is there any point in having a repeat of Tolouse. People thinking that Tolouse scraped out of this league are absolutely deluded, they lost 1 game in 20 odd, if that game was at the start of the season people would be ignoring it completely

Agreed, should have been given promotion for finishing first in the league, but that's another argument, glad they made it to why they rightfully have started (minimum) in the first place. I don't expect them to perform miracles and get promoted to SL next year, but if they keep the core of their side together and recruit well I think within 2-3 years they will be genuine promotion contenders in the middle-8's.

I think Toronto will have an even easier time quite frankly looking at their squad. Plus the fact that they won't be travelling as constantly as Toulouse when they play their games in blocks in Canada and UK.

Probably too late to change where Toronto start but it might give the RFL something to think about if/when big clubs/opportunities come knocking in the future if Toronto walk to promotion next year.

they lost 1 game in 20 odd, if that game was at the start of the season people would be ignoring it completely

I understand the point you are making. However the game they lost was the Championship Final.

Toulouse getting promoted must really be hurting those anti-expansionists who long for those halcyon days of parochial RL locked in that northern time warp !

Apparently Toulouse have a four-year plan. I can only assume the first phase is complete with consolidation in the Championship for a couple of seasons with a SL push in 2020 ? Just thinking aloud.

This squad will stay the same next season  apart from Danny Hulme being replaced by Stan Robin and mid-table  may be their objective which seems like a dangerous game to play especially after the nerves jangled yesterday as the pressure mounted. One thing is for sure, the Toulouse boys are already talking about the return of Rochdale next season and that's just about as much  motivation as they need !

Toulouse getting promoted must really be hurting those anti-expansionists who long for those halcyon days of parochial RL locked in that northern time warp !

Apparently Toulouse have a four-year plan. I can only assume the first phase is complete with consolidation in the Championship for a couple of seasons with a SL push in 2020 ? Just thinking aloud.

This squad will stay the same next season  apart from Danny Hulme being replaced by Stan Robin and mid-table  may be their objective which seems like a dangerous game to play especially after the nerves jangled yesterday as the pressure mounted. One thing is for sure, the Toulouse boys are already talking about the return of Rochdale next season and that's just about as much  motivation as they need !

What's happening with the re-development of the stadium? I think Toulouse will be safe from relegation next season and should target their home games as being vital for survival.

My fear is that the Leigh game was slightly deceiving. Leigh were totally focused on gaining promotion and had a number of players out. TO sailed through the league but struggled a bit when Rochdale and Barrow figured them out. Both teams really went for TO, I just feel that they'll be a lot tougher competition like this every week where they'll be tested. If they don't make 2-4 good signings they may find themselves in a relegation battle. As a London fan I know how tough this league is and to me it seems like they're underestimating it which is a big mistake.

What's happening with the re-development of the stadium? I think Toulouse will be safe from relegation next season and should target their home games as being vital for survival.

No news on the stadium redevelopment. Everything was geared up to starting work two or so years ago but unfortunately there was a change in the city council following the elections and the new mayor and his council decided the work which was originally planned wouldn't go ahead. New, watered down plans were supposed to be drawn up but nothing has been published about it yet. Minimes is their home of course but the reality is the other stadium near the airport which has been used this season seems perfect for their needs.

My fear is that the Leigh game was slightly deceiving. Leigh were totally focused on gaining promotion and had a number of players out. TO sailed through the league but struggled a bit when Rochdale and Barrow figured them out. Both teams really went for TO, I just feel that they'll be a lot tougher competition like this every week where they'll be tested. If they don't make 2-4 good signings they may find themselves in a relegation battle. As a London fan I know how tough this league is and to me it seems like they're underestimating it which is a big mistake.

Yep, the Leigh game was deceiving. They brought down a weakened side and probably took TO for granted. Saying that, TO were impressive on the day, especially their defence which looked solid. Rochdale ruffled their feathers but an ex SL ref who was present at that game reckons the refereeing was very poor and had an affect on the result. Not taking anything away from the excellent  Rochdale performance which exposed some of the weaknesses especially from the mental side of things.

Houles isn't going to recruit apparently so it will be tough for TO when the big hitters come to town.

I'm pleased to see Toulouse promoted - very clearly deserved and I think they'll ready add something different and interesting to the Championship next year.

That said, I feel a bit sorry for Barrow, who seem to have been seen merely as the potential party poopers in this scenario. I've always thought Barrow are a good club, and I feel they'd have brought more to the table than Rochdale.

I guess we have to say 'Fair play' to Rochdale, as they were the only club to actually beat Toulouse - but to me they just look like another Lancashire-based team who'll be scrapping with Swinton and Oldham to avoid relegation. At least Barrow would have added a Cumbrian dimension! 

A real good half-page coverage in the main sports section of this mornings popular broad-sheet 'La Depeche du Midi' under the headline "Toulouse tient  son billet!" ..secure their ticket....Stade Toulousain/Grenoble Top 14 got 2/3 of a page. Their profile on the up. Think when in local Elite 1 their lot hidden away in the local editions section. Had to smile about skipper Planas' motivation pre-match was about absolutely playing in the Championship in 2017 so as to have another poke at the Hornets!

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

A real good half-page coverage in the main sports section of this mornings popular broad-sheet 'La Depeche du Midi' under the headline "Toulouse tient  son billet!" ..secure their ticket....Stade Toulousain/Grenoble Top 14 got 2/3 of a page. Their profile on the up. Think when in local Elite 1 their lot hidden away in the local editions section. Had to smile about skipper Planas' motivation pre-match was about absolutely playing in the Championship in 2017 so as to have another poke at the Hornets!

Yes Gordon, the journo for the 'Depeche' is an interesting guy. He records all the stats and is meticulous, no idea how he finds the time to note everything ! Post-match Planas & Houles  revealed their hatred for anything Rochdale. Apparently the Rochdale set-up were told they would not be well received by the Toulouse club ie. no handshakes etc. One thing is certain, Rochdale would have been well beaten in the final  if the referee had used the same reffing criteria as Mr Hewer did yesterday. Barrow tried a few delaying tactics and strong arm stuff in the first quarter especially and paid for it. Any dubious looking injuries were ignored by Hewer who ordered the players involved to get up or go off. This is a great pity for Barrow because a more positive approach early doors would have put TO on the rack. The Barrow plan was to stifle TO in the first 20 minutes, the time when they seem to score most of their points but the plan backfired.

Yes Gordon, the journo for the 'Depeche' is an interesting guy. He records all the stats and is meticulous, no idea how he finds the time to note everything ! Post-match Planas & Houles  revealed their hatred for anything Rochdale. Apparently the Rochdale set-up were told they would not be well received by the Toulouse club ie. no handshakes etc. One thing is certain, Rochdale would have been well beaten in the final  if the referee had used the same reffing criteria as Mr Hewer did yesterday. Barrow tried a few delaying tactics and strong arm stuff in the first quarter especially and paid for it. Any dubious looking injuries were ignored by Hewer who ordered the players involved to get up or go off. This is a great pity for Barrow because a more positive approach early doors would have put TO on the rack. The Barrow plan was to stifle TO in the first 20 minutes, the time when they seem to score most of their points but the plan backfired.

Maybe that was due to having no sleep,game prep time due to delayed flights and the refusal to delay the kick off,I see from your comments on the last 2 games that you are as bad a winner as you are a loser.

Maybe that was due to having no sleep,game prep time due to delayed flights and the refusal to delay the kick off,I see from your comments on the last 2 games that you are as bad a winner as you are a loser.

Well I have to admit i'm gutted my team lost out on a GF place but that's life I suppose. At least my footie team stuffed Citeh earlier, so some consolation.

The game was put back half an hour which had nowt to do with Toulouse. The match commissioner didn't want to even grant that. An hour would have been reasonable but wasn't granted by the RFL representative it seems.

Who wanted the flight to be arranged for saturday morning ? The idea was to give Barrow the best possible chance of competing with it's strongest available side which is exactly what they did. The coach, on reflection would have preferred to arrive the day before to combat the tiredness thing but that would have meant a weakened side due to work committments so who is to blame there ?  Toulouse would have preferred to play against an under strength team i'm sure ? The plane was delayed at Manchester airport which I suppose must have been a fiendish plot by Houles & co to sabotage the match in some way ?

Wow Ois, you have changed your tune since posting on the Hornets forum after their deserved victory, are you now insinuating that the injuries Hornets players picked up in that game were dubious looking and but for the referee Hornets would have been well beaten ?

A slight about-face from your comments below.

" It was obvious though that Saturday the players were genuinely injured. Sylvain knows deep down his players bottled it because - a Rochdale wanted to win more than they did and (smiley face), Toulouse showed a big lack of respect for their opponents".

Please do not think I am an anti-expansionist (silly phrase), I am happy that Toulouse have been promoted as it's less than a ninety minute drive for me to watch Championship RL, plus at the moment Toulouse's upward momentum is of massive benefit to French rugby, but come on, there is no need to play to the gallery. 

Hopefully I will see you next season at whichever ground Toulouse play at. I will be easy to pick out, as if your comments are correct about Toulouse's feelings towards cuddly Rochdale Hornets, I shall be wearing a  surgeons gown and ear defenders to protect me from all the blood and nasty French language that will be coming our way.

Travelling to Catalans? Stay at La Villa Céline

Contact us for a special Rugby accommodation package here

signature.jpg

Rochdale deserved the win in the final, that's for sure and their tactics were not exactly positive but they rattled Toulouse and forced errors. They pushed the ref to the limit and got away with it. Yesterday Hewer stopped any dodgy time wasting which would have changed the result if the same reffing had been applied Vs Rochdale. Hornets pushed their luck with the tactics but played some nice stuff when they threw the ball around. The Barrow coach tried to slow down Toulouse early doors because they start off very quickly and it worked until the ref got fed up with the slowing down tactics. Houles was annoyed after the first final, just as he is now because he was outcoached on the day. Fair play to Kilshaw who got it right but with a lenient ref in charge.

I an a raiders fan, but to be honest Toulouse should not have had to enter the play offs, but should have been promoted from first position, nobody will ever convince me otherwise, and I hope it is changed for next season,

I hope TO don't get promoted next year as I feel it would be too soon....aka crusaders...

If cru (who didn't win promotion) had a couple of years in championship and the Welsh lads came through prior to SL it would have been a different story..

TO need organic continued growth....sort out stadium and consolidate the reserves/juniors...

4 year plan sounds about right...2-3 in championship!

Rochdale deserved the win in the final, that's for sure and their tactics were not exactly positive but they rattled Toulouse and forced errors. They pushed the ref to the limit and got away with it. Yesterday Hewer stopped any dodgy time wasting which would have changed the result if the same reffing had been applied Vs Rochdale. Hornets pushed their luck with the tactics but played some nice stuff when they threw the ball around. The Barrow coach tried to slow down Toulouse early doors because they start off very quickly and it worked until the ref got fed up with the slowing down tactics. Houles was annoyed after the first final, just as he is now because he was outcoached on the day. Fair play to Kilshaw who got it right but with a lenient ref in charge.

Funnily enough Jo Taira and Jono Smith also thought that referee Crashley  was lenient, Jo, after the feeling returned to his neck from being spear tackled and Jono after the Hornets physio had put the remnants of his nose back together after Kane Bentley's "tackle" of which you described as the referee  chickening out of giving Bentley a red card. So its good to know that we all agree on something,

the spirit of entante cordiale is positively flowing.

Travelling to Catalans? Stay at La Villa Céline

Contact us for a special Rugby accommodation package here

signature.jpg

Archived