Job hunting

Racial, sexual, and ageist discrimination works both ways. I assume I have been shut out from the job because I am a straight, white, Christian, middle 50's Single, male. There are hundreds of ethnic, LGBT, immigrant, 20's looking for work that will be taken up for this job, but because I don't fit ethnic, ageist, religious, or sexual profiling, I have been dumped.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Racial, sexual, and ageist discrimination works both ways. I assume I have been shut out from the job because I am a straight, white, Christian, middle 50's Single, male. There are hundreds of ethnic, LGBT, immigrant, 20's looking for work that will be taken up for this job, but because I don't fit ethnic, ageist, religious, or sexual profiling, I have been dumped.

And also very well balanced with a big chip on both shoulders. <_< 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

21 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Behave yourself. If 90% of people did better than you in the test, that might be the area to look at.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:20 PM, Bob8 said:

In Denmark, a photo is expected. Which is annoying when they are all very pretty. 

Surely that would lead to discrimination? In the UK you are not required to put your Date of Birth on there, this may lead to ageism, if they ask for it, legally you are at will to refuse

8 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Surely that would lead to discrimination? In the UK you are not required to put your Date of Birth on there, this may lead to ageism, if they ask for it, legally you are at will to refuse

Yes. They are not bothered by such things. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Yes. They are not bothered by such things. 

You are being deliberately teasing.

Whereas I have spent literally minutes looking into this and it turns out that the answer is that the Danes are so smoking hot that they share photos of each other knowing it will lead to a swinging session in minutes confident in their equality and anti discrimination laws that there's no reason not to dazzle with a decent photo.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

You are being deliberately teasing.

Whereas I have spent literally minutes looking into this and it turns out that the answer is that the Danes are so smoking hot that they share photos of each other knowing it will lead to a swinging session in minutes confident in their equality and anti discrimination laws that there's no reason not to dazzle with a decent photo.

Yes. 

They can be a bit racist too. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 2/12/2019 at 2:57 PM, Bleep1673 said:

You scored better than 10% of people who have previously taken this test. Unfortunately this means that your overall performance on this test was below the minimum required standard for the grade you have applied for, so we will not be proceeding with your application.

This was for a DWP administration job that I was told to apply for by the Job Centre +. I scored better than 10% for 200 jobs? & they still don't want me FCUK off then.

Erm, you do realise that if you only scored better than 10% of people who have taken the test then 90% of people (or 89.something %) scored better than you ?

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

38 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Erm, you do realise that if you only scored better than 10% of people who have taken the test then 90% of people (or 89.something %) scored better than you ?

Quite. Sounds like it might have been a reading comprehension test.:ninja:

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

23 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

I've been offered a job and will be offered another one tomorrow.

My tanning days are over

Congratulations/commiserations!

• 3 weeks later...

Disappointing week.  Lost out on an internal job (promotion) to someone who is my 'junior' (same grade but certainly less experienced).  I know why they have probably done it, but its still a blow to the ego.  Spent a couple of day moping and feeling sorry for myself.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:57 PM, Bleep1673 said:

You scored better than 10% of people who have previously taken this test. Unfortunately this means that your overall performance on this test was below the minimum required standard for the grade you have applied for, so we will not be proceeding with your application.

This was for a DWP administration job that I was told to apply for by the Job Centre +. I scored better than 10% for 200 jobs? & they still don't want me FCUK off then.

I've only just seen this, probably way too late to be of any use. Competency testing takes a while to get used to if you haven't done it before and as I don't know which grade you applied for then it may be you might need to set your sights lower to start with.  They get easier the more of them you do and I'd recommend you practice them if you really want to work for the civil service.  The civil service jobs website is full of opportunities and you can sign up for email notifications.

Having secured a post in the civil service just recently, I can confidently assert that they are not remotely racist, ageist or any other -ist.  I've never worked in such a diverse environment as I am doing now.

9 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I've only just seen this, probably way too late to be of any use. Competency testing takes a while to get used to if you haven't done it before and as I don't know which grade you applied for then it may be you might need to set your sights lower to start with.  They get easier the more of them you do and I'd recommend you practice them if you really want to work for the civil service.  The civil service jobs website is full of opportunities and you can sign up for email notifications.

Having secured a post in the civil service just recently, I can confidently assert that they are not remotely racist, ageist or any other -ist.  I've never worked in such a diverse environment as I am doing now.

Useful post.

Also, @Bleep1673, if you aren't already aware of it, here is the Civil Service jobs page: https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi?SID=cGFnZWNsYXNzPUpvYnMma2V5PTUwNzAwMDAmcGFnZWFjdGlvbj1zZWFyY2hieWNvbnRleHRpZCZ1c2Vyc2VhcmNoY29udGV4dD03MzUyNjAwMiZyZXFzaWc9MTU1MTU5OTUzOS05MTliNTgwZDA3NjJjNTQ2ZGEyNjc2NjFlNGI2MzU5MzgyNGVkMTY3

Surprising amount within striking distance of Hastings.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 2/12/2019 at 10:28 AM, John Drake said:

No, not Colin (very underrated Doctor, IMO).

More likely to be Peter Cushing. He introduces himself as 'Doctor Who' in those films, which is just....wrong!!

Wasn't Peter Cushing married to Whoopi Goldberg?

16 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Disappointing week.  Lost out on an internal job (promotion) to someone who is my 'junior' (same grade but certainly less experienced).  I know why they have probably done it, but its still a blow to the ego.  Spent a couple of day moping and feeling sorry for myself.  

Sorry to hear that. It is always hard to take when a lesser person, for want of a better phrase, gets promoted ahead of you.

Just had the first annual appraisal in my working life. Felt a bit like waiting for the school report, but this time there's a bonus at stake. I seem to have impressed people, though.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 2/12/2019 at 1:10 PM, Shadow said:

I've met Consultant Anaesthetists. Quite frankly I'd sooner trust my fate to a Gallifreyan :biggrin:

The last one I met was a real knock-out. Her mate had me in stitches, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have just verbally accepted a new role.

But based on the advice of Shaun Edwards and Ian Lenagan, I am not announcing on LinkedIn before the contracts are signed!

Start on April 15th after a years break...  refreshed and ready to go again!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It looks like I'm going to have the pleasure of having the remit of my job increase by at least 50% but with no increase in pay, resources or support staff.

56 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It looks like I'm going to have the pleasure of having the remit of my job increase by at least 50% but with no increase in pay, resources or support staff.

Grim. You'll never get to the top of the leaderboard on here.

I have just four days left in my current role. looking forward to a break if I'm honest - four months of commuting weekly from the north west to the south east gets to you in the end.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

3 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

I have just four days left in my current role. looking forward to a break if I'm honest - four months of commuting weekly from the north west to the south east gets to you in the end.

Long commutes really are awful. That's part of the reason I wouldn't mind changing my job.

Archived