Toronto (Merged threads)

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Its a great opportunity for their youngsters to step up. They should still just sneak in to the top 4 though I would imagine.

It is really only a loss of one player, that being Dave Taylor. Bailey did almost nothing last year and is way over the hill. Fui Fui is there mainly for marketing, and wouldn't be able to run over the players in the Championship the same way he could in League One. 

Dave Taylor's head obviously wasn't in it. This will actually save the Wolfpack a ton of money and the opportunity to get one more willing recruit. Top 3 with Leigh and Fev sill very much on the cards.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could be a blessing in disguise. If I were involved in the Wolfpack I'd be vociferously lobbying to sit tight on signings. The likes of Sims and Sidlow are more than capable of holding their own, and the money saved (on Taylor especially) could be used to throw everything at training up two or three Canadian props-in-waiting.

I'm sure they can unearth some native 20st athletic behemoths and have them on the subs bench by the end of the season. Be good for PR, too.

4 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

This could be a blessing in disguise. If I were involved in the Wolfpack I'd be vociferously lobbying to sit tight on signings. The likes of Sims and Sidlow are more than capable of holding their own, and the money saved (on Taylor especially) could be used to throw everything at training up two or three Canadian props-in-waiting.

I'm sure they can unearth some native 20st athletic behemoths and have them on the subs bench by the end of the season. Be good for PR, too.

I agree. I would be amazed if they are not in the top two after 23 rounds. 

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I agree. I would be amazed if they are not in the top two after 23 rounds. 

Exactly. You would be forgiven for thinking these three are the difference between first and rock bottom. They aren't. Yes, FuiFui is a PR asset, but so is Sims. Best thing for them publicity-wise would be local guys coming through and doing well.

I still have Toronto top 4, even if they lose five more to injury or dodgy behaviour.

24 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Pretty much what I suggested earlier , expect some come back 

41 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Then why didn't  they go down that road in the first place? It might be a learning curve for some,but they have experienced staff in place. Don't they?

10 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Then why didn't  they go down that road in the first place? It might be a learning curve for some,but they have experienced staff in place. Don't they?

Because, if Taylor had been minded to act like a professional adult, he'd have been a spectacular asset. Sometimes clubs take a chance on a loose cannon, because they can wow the public if they choose to behave.

Rangi Chase, anyone?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Because, if Taylor had been minded to act like a professional adult, he'd have been a spectacular asset. Sometimes clubs take a chance on a loose cannon, because they can wow the public if they choose to behave.

Rangi Chase, anyone?

I'd agree with that here,but how many Canadians know Rangi Chase?

10 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

He does seem to find himself available to spend the money of some rich guys.At Salford he signed players with a penchant for ill-discipline and it appears he is well and truly aided and abetted,now, by Rowley.

3 in one go is some doing.

So the initial experiment at (money no problem) Salford had Noble (coach) and Vickers (dubious CEO who had no idea to pay bills, was sacked and went to Swinton and nearly bankrupted them) replicated in Toronto with the addition of a coach who failed to get Leigh into SL.  What a dream Team!

14 minutes ago, kiyan said:

So the initial experiment at (money no problem) Salford had Noble (coach) and Vickers (dubious CEO who had no idea to pay bills, was sacked and went to Swinton and nearly bankrupted them) replicated in Toronto with the addition of a coach who failed to get Leigh into SL.  What a dream Team!

Well I've heard it said that people do learn from their mistakes, so they might be the best people for the job.

The Championship is very strong this season and underestimated. There are teams who have got very good packs. I don't think it will be as simple as saying anyone will finish top 2 or top 4 this year. Yes there are favourites but they will have to produce on the field. 

They could look to the PNG Hunters. Their props helped their team win the QLD cup so they are at (or above) Championship level. They would be cheap and very well worth their money and Hunters would be happy to let them go since they are created to get more players into professional teams anyway. 

I did say in another post that going to Portugal wasn't a good idea. My preference of northern Canada or even Iceland, those locations better preparing them for the rigours of playing in the North of England in late winter. A prophet is in your midst. 

Mind you, I didn't predict three players leaving so maybe the last line above is a tad presumptuous. ;)

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Events like this can often really focus and galvanise a team.  Every team needs a story for their season, this provided one for the Wolfpack.

Toronto already beat London away last year, and ran Salford within a few points. They are even stronger now, they should have no fear of most Championship teams, and will probably put 50 points on the lower few teams.

1 hour ago, kiyan said:

Hey!...what about the rule about not hitting a guy when he is down?

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Hey!...what about the rule about not hitting a guy when he is down?

When certain people have sent months bigging the pack up, when the truth hits ?  Bite me.

3 hours ago, ojx said:

Events like this can often really focus and galvanise a team.  Every team needs a story for their season, this provided one for the Wolfpack.

Toronto already beat London away last year, and ran Salford within a few points. They are even stronger now, they should have no fear of most Championship teams, and will probably put 50 points on the lower few teams.

Or it can wake people up! 

Toronto have the Salford "Dream team " of Brian Noble and Martin Vickers which failed miserably  and then added Rowley into the list of failures .

What do you expect to happen?

1 hour ago, kiyan said:

Or it can wake people up! 

Toronto have the Salford "Dream team " of Brian Noble and Martin Vickers which failed miserably  and then added Rowley into the list of failures .

What do you expect to happen?

To win it all my friend...to win it all.

We're going to be fine. Come on Feb 4th!!!!

7 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Pack is still amongst the best in the championships. Just looks a little light on numbers now. There is a big gap between the top and bottom of the championship so if i were them id be looking at getting some bodies in on loan maybe a couple of youngsters like Oledzki at Leeds or some of the older fringe players like Navarette or Ormondroyd. Use them to take the strain in the 'away' part of the season when clubs will be more likely to loan players to them being based over here then look for a big signing for the away part of the year or the 8s depending on who is available. 

Oledzki and Ormondroyd are likely to be playing for Fev as part of Leeds DR agreement. Unlikely Leeds would want to tie either down to loans.

19 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Depends what you are passing that opinion on , I was giving my opinion on what might be an option for Toronto to do 

What is your opinion on what Toronto might do ? 

Rather than your opinion of my opinion which is what you did 

How am I supposed to know what Toronto will do?

One thing i’m pretty sure about is that they will not be panicked into giving starts to some Gridiron players because they lost these 3 players,.

Well done Toronto Wolfpack, I have never ever expierienced such concern for any one team from such an array of supporters, even before the dawn of SM and the internet, the weekly and monthly publications did not get this type of reaction albeit reduced in numbers in their letters pages.

Even taking into account that on these very same pages in the not to distant past, a lot of the playing personnel and coaching staff who they now employ have been despised and criticised whilst performing for other clubs.

They really do have a magical formula, it should be shared with each and every RL club, for the good of the game, well done them. 

9 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

How am I supposed to know what Toronto will do?

One thing i’m pretty sure about is that they will not be panicked into giving starts to some Gridiron players because they lost these 3 players,.

Well done , you've managed it , you've given your opinion ON the thread subject 

Archived