Film Thread (What have you been watching?)

On 05/07/2022 at 20:33, gingerjon said:

This seems to be something that "everyone knew" that only really became common knowledge a few years ago: that virtually the entire script of Airplane! is based on Zero Hour.

OMG I feel like I’ve just been ripped out of the matrix. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Josef K said:

Is the film Galaxy Quest worth a watch. 

Yes! Even if you don't get all the Star Trek in-jokes, it is still a clever and funny movie. And it's worth it for Alan Rickman alone.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Yes! Even if you don't get all the Star Trek in-jokes, it is still a clever and funny movie. And it's worth it for Alan Rickman alone.

What a savings.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I’ll give it a go then, im not a fan of Sci-fi but with it being a comedy i thought it can’t be that bad. 

• 3 weeks later...

For those who need introducing to top quality series*and those just wanting to repeat top quality:

Life on Mars / 2series; total 16 episodes

Ashes to Ashes /3 series; total 24 episodes

Set in and around Manchester in 1973 and Ashes, London 1981, but made around 2008/10
Available on BBCIPlayer only for 10 days, and Life currently available on Amazon Prime, depending on location; Ashes, I think available widely.   Enjoy.

* not always ‘pc’, so to speak!   

Edited by glemiln
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, glemiln said:

For those who need introducing to top quality series*and those just wanting to repeat top quality:

Life on Mars / 2series; total 16 episodes

Ashes to Ashes /3 series; total 24 episodes

Set in and around Manchester in 1973 and Ashes, London 1981, but made around 2008/10
Available on BBCIPlayer only for 10 days, and Life currently available on Amazon Prime, depending on location; Ashes, I think available widely.   Enjoy.

* not always ‘pc’, so to speak!   

Sometimes , I've known programmes on iplayer go down to 3 or 4 days , then renew for another year .

Was channel hopping last night when I came across Adolf Hitler, the pope, Osama bin Laden and Margaret Thatcher in chariots pulled by dinosaurs chasing the hero's.   The film was called Iron Sky - The Coming Race.  Watched it for about ten minutes until the hero's jumped into a flying saucer and flew off - far too surreal for me to start watching mid movie. Anyone seen it or was I just having a bad dream.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

37 minutes ago, Exiled Townie said:

Was channel hopping last night when I came across Adolf Hitler, the pope, Osama bin Laden and Margaret Thatcher in chariots pulled by dinosaurs chasing the hero's.   The film was called Iron Sky - The Coming Race.  Watched it for about ten minutes until the hero's jumped into a flying saucer and flew off - far too surreal for me to start watching mid movie. Anyone seen it or was I just having a bad dream.

I haven't seen it, but I know of it. It's the crowd-funded sequel to a 2012 film that was just called Iron Sky

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

L'appel du 18 Juin on Youtube

In French but English end speaking in Anglais

This gave me a real insight into DeGaulle and Britain at this time.

I think it also goes some way to explain the relationship between France and the UK in the years after the war and right up to DeGaulle's fall from power.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Midnight's Children and really enjoyed it.

We found it because we were struggling to find something different that you didn't have to pay for.

Just got rid of Netflix and Sky Cinema cost saving part 1, mostly money but also because seeing 1 film a month between the two of them wouldn't've made any sense even when times were good.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I was flicking through the films on Netflix yesterday and came across Blood Red Sky.  The blurb said nowt about the film except it proclaimed that 50 million had watched it in the first week of release so I thought I’ll give it a go.

First few minutes pointed to an interesting film ……………………….. all I will say is it is not Shakespeare esque …………………. but I watched it all😳😳😳😳😳

Edited by Adelaide Tiger

• 2 weeks later...

Legend Channel , I wasn’t familiar with it , had The Mummy’s Hand and Bride of Frankenstein on last night . They have Frankenstein meets the Wolfman and The invisible Man on next Sunday , so maybe that’s ( very ) old classic scary film night .And The Abominable Snowman is on talking pictures tonight 

Edited by DavidM

La Belle Epoque       2019    BBCIPlayer for at least a month.

French with sub-titles

Disillusioned cartoonist Victor (Daniel Auteil), depressed at losing his newspaper job and fighting against the technology he thinks is destroying the world as he knows it, is offered a tailor-made immersive experience by his film director son.

Not to be missed

50 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Legend Channel , I wasn’t familiar with it , had The Mummy’s Hand and Bride of Frankenstein on last night . They have Frankenstein meets the Wolfman and The invisible Man on next Sunday , so maybe that’s ( very ) old classic scary film night .And The Abominable Snowman is on talking pictures tonight 

Not a channel I've looked at before. Looks like they've picked up Forces TV's baton when it comes to re-runs from my youth.

Sky 148 - Virgin 149 - Freeview 41 - Freesat 137, if anyone's interested.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 05/09/2022 at 11:09, DavidM said:

Was the HORROR channel , always worth checking out whats on.

• Thanks 1

On 05/09/2022 at 11:09, DavidM said:

The Invisible Man. Is that about Hull's defence? 

• Haha 1

I'm just starting a long-overdue re-watch of Ken Russell’s kinky comedy-horror The Lair of the White Worm. Entertaining early-career appearances by Hugh Grant, Peter Capaldi and especially Amanda Donohoe.

tumblr_mjzqhpm33N1qedb29o2_r1_500.gif

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 4 weeks later...

Treated myself to a double bill of classics today. Started with Kes, been ages since I'd seen it, absolutely brilliant.

Then moved onto Lifeboat, a less well known Hitchcock masterpiece about a group of very different people who end up together on a lifeboat drifting in the Atlantic during the Second World War after their ship is torpedoed. Has a real Animal Farm/Lord of the Flies feel to it as they start to establish some kind of organisation and structure of leadership on the boat. Fantastic film.