26-27 May: The Betfred Championship Summer Bash Match Thread

Barrow Raiders by 4 points
Featherstone by 8 points
Toronto Wolfpack by 6 points
 London Broncos by 6 points
Rochdale Hornets by 2 points
Batley Bulldogs by 4 points

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because of the way the games are organised for the Summer Bash, they are hard to predict. There are some one sided games in the Championship but there are not any that you would pick as a landslide here. I hope people get along as there should be some close games here. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Barrow Raiders v Sheffield Eagles  - Barrow by 18
Halifax v Featherstone Rovers - Halifax by 2
Toronto Wolfpack v Leigh Centurions  -Leigh by 10

Toulouse Olympique v London Broncos  - Toulouse by 8
Rochdale Hornets v Swinton Lions - Rochdale by 8
Batley Bulldogs v Dewsbury Rams - Batley by 10

Absolute four pointer for London, I never tip them but this game is crucial if they have top four aspirations. Key game for Halifax too after dropping a point to Dewsbury another defeat and they could start to drift away from the top four.. Leigh should demonstrate their superiority over the Wolfpack. Those three games are like mini-cup finals - ?

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

41 minutes ago, Reverend Ram said:

Should be some close games here 

Barrow by 4

Feath v Fax draw

Toronto by 1

Toulouse v London draw

Swinton by 6

Heavy Woollen draw

pity there’s no pools!

What's odds on 3 draws i wonder, owt could happen ? 

23 hours ago, John Drake said:

Discuss all this weekend's Summer Bash games here.

SATURDAY 26th MAY
All at Bloomfield Road, Blackpool
Barrow Raiders v Sheffield Eagles KO 3pm (TV)
Halifax v Featherstone Rovers KO 5.15pm (TV)
Toronto Wolfpack v Leigh Centurions KO 7.30pm (TV)

SUNDAY 27th MAY
Toulouse Olympique v London Broncos KO 1pm (TV)
Rochdale Hornets v Swinton Lions KO 3.15pm (TV)
Batley Bulldogs v Dewsbury Rams KO 5.30pm (TV)

How many games are Toronto playing in Toronto this season?

39 minutes ago, bazzzz65 said:

How many games are Toronto playing in Toronto this season?

9 on the bounce now I think. Only thing that stopped them playing all their “home” games was improvements to their ground taking place

On 5/23/2018 at 11:14 AM, John Drake said:

Discuss all this weekend's Summer Bash games here.

SATURDAY 26th MAY
Barrow Raiders v Sheffield Eagles KO 3pm (TV)
Halifax v Featherstone Rovers KO 5.15pm (TV)
Toronto Wolfpack v Leigh Centurions KO 7.30pm (TV)

SUNDAY 27th MAY
Toulouse Olympique v London Broncos KO 1pm (TV)
Rochdale Hornets v Swinton Lions KO 3.15pm (TV)
Batley Bulldogs v Dewsbury Rams KO 5.30pm (TV)

Barrow by 10

Featherstone by 6

Leigh by 2

Toulouse by 10

Swinton by 2

Batley by 8

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Just cant see Leigh beating Toronto this weekend. There's more than just 2 points on offer to a lot of the Toronto team its a chance to get one over on Derek & Cunningham.

I expect a grubby game.

10 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

Is there anyway of watching this on television without taking out a Sky subscription?

You can buy day passes for £7.99 or week passes for £12.99 through Now TV. I've never used this service and i'm not sure exactly how it all works but I think that may be the only way around it other than trying to find a stream online.

https://www.nowtv.com/promo/sky-sports

23 minutes ago, fevtom said:

You can buy day passes for £7.99 or week passes for £12.99 through Now TV. I've never used this service and i'm not sure exactly how it all works but I think that may be the only way around it other than trying to find a stream online.

https://www.nowtv.com/promo/sky-sports

Works really well, been using it for a couple of years now. But you need a now tv box or now tv stick.

22 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I like most of those changes apart from not looking at foul play. With that I’d do something similar to what happens in the NRL. Where the VR only give a penalty if the offence is serious enough to go on report. I’d tweek that slightly and only step in on red or yellow card offences. 

In tennis and hockey it's up to the player/captain to ask for a video ref and they get a set number of challenges. If the challenge is correct, you  don't lose the challenge. If it's wrong, then you lose a challenge. Might be worth considering in RL to reduce the number of video referrals. Should put the onus onto the players.

Featherstone fans break out in a cold sweat when you mention Blackpool. We lost the 2012 Northern Rail Cup Final there under Daryl Powell when we were the dominant team in the Championship, we went down heavily to Leigh in a bad-tempered game at the first Summer Bash in 2015, got absolutley hammered by Fax in a manner not even their fans could have foreseen in 2016, and we again failed to turn up when whipped 42-16 by London last year. Would be nice to see us finally get it right there this year.

40 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Featherstone fans break out in a cold sweat when you mention Blackpool. We lost the 2012 Northern Rail Cup Final there under Daryl Powell when we were the dominant team in the Championship, we went down heavily to Leigh in a bad-tempered game at the first Summer Bash in 2015, got absolutley hammered by Fax in a manner not even their fans could have foreseen in 2016, and we again failed to turn up when whipped 42-16 by London last year. Would be nice to see us finally get it right there this year.

By that token, I'm going to have to hope for a fax win. Leigh have a decent record at Blackpool. Beat KR in the NR final in 2006, Halifax there in 2011, then wins agains Fev and Bradford at the bash, so would be very happy if things played to form in Blackpool.

Still think Fev and Toronto are favourites though

7 hours ago, binosh said:

Just cant see Leigh beating Toronto this weekend. There's more than just 2 points on offer to a lot of the Toronto team its a chance to get one over on Derek & Cunningham.

I expect a grubby game.

It certainly needed a strong ref, and we haven't got one. Could get very nasty as a few scores will be settled from Game 1 when I thought we were too soft when dealing with TW aggression and a poor ref. Will make good TV for the BIFF enthusiasts

28 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

It certainly needed a strong ref, and we haven't got one. Could get very nasty as a few scores will be settled from Game 1 when I thought we were too soft when dealing with TW aggression and a poor ref. Will make good TV for the BIFF enthusiasts

i imagine that the focus from TWP will be to keep it as clean as possible after the Warrington game. 

We still have a game in Canada so if they get nasty this time around things will likely get more out of hand in game 3. Also Leigh need the points so they will be focused on keeping 13 men on the filed as well.

Bbbuutttt then again it might just be a sh!t show.

On 5/24/2018 at 5:35 AM, MADREDNIGE said:

Same reason we  play fax 3 times, everyone has to play someone 3 times

Barrow Raiders v Sheffield Eagles By 12
Halifax v Featherstone Rovers By 14
Toronto Wolfpack v Leigh Centurions By 12

Toulouse Olympique v London Broncos By 14
Rochdale Hornets v Swinton Lions  By 6
Batley Bulldogs v Dewsbury Rams By 12 

Toulouse with injuries and building in new players, plus the usual hot/cold inconsistency with London on the up makes me think they'll win

TWP v Leigh - now that's going to be interesting. Both are the top sides in the comp currently IMO, so who will be better on the day. Leigh are hellbent on momentum, TWP are waiting for a hiccup. Let's see.

Can anyone explain the rules for the fixtures ? ( I dunno ??? )

3 x ?

TWP ( not technically playing home games in Toronto ) ? 

Barrow Raiders v Sheffield Eagles  - by 8
Halifax v Featherstone Rovers  - by 6
Toronto Wolfpack v Leigh Centurions  - by 14
Toulouse Olympique v London Broncos  - by 10
Rochdale Hornets v Swinton Lions  - by 2
Batley Bulldogs v Dewsbury Ram  - by 10

Archived