England Squad Announced

I think at the start of a new cycle toward the next World Cup it’s time to move on from OLoughlin , don’t understand that , especially with burgess there to step in . Hill as well I think could have been moved on . The two wingers were our best at the WC so can’t argue on that , but they are being pushed to which is no bad thing . Interesting how he sees lomax and ratchford fitting in , or lomax pushes out Williams . Personally I’m disappointed for Richardson , just seemed perfect timing for me with him on the crest of a wave. Big role there for Roby to 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Rubbish.  EW is one of very few in that squad who can hold his own at international  level.  Cracking player before he went to Oz. Head and shoulders above McMeeken.

That's your opinion, and once again, very forcefully put. However, my opinion differs, but is just as valid as yours, the only difference being that I won't call yours rubbish.

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, I wonder whether he feels that the wing positions are ones where we just cannot have a utility player covering the spot, maybe he feels it would expose us too much. To an extent I can agree with that.

I think Williams will be his reserve 9, or play a game where Ratchford or Lomax will slot in there. I'm not a fan of Roby playing 80 and killing himself.

Fair enough, but just take your two best wingers who are fit and that's it.

Half-back & AHB options are important.

Your starting halves are Ratchford & Widdop? It's not amazing is it?

Perhaps he could go with Ratchford and centre and Connor at 6?

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think at the start of a new cycle toward the next World Cup it’s time to move on from OLoughlin , don’t understand that , especially with burgess there to step in . Hill as well I think could have been moved on . The two wingers were our best at the WC so can’t argue on that , but they are being pushed to which is no bad thing . Interesting how he sees lomax and ratchford fitting in , or lomax pushes out Williams . Personally I’m disappointed for Richardson , just seemed perfect timing for me with him on the crest of a wave. Big role there for Roby to 

Maybe, but I do think we need to carry on winning series' and if Lockers is the best 13 at the moment, then use him, even if it does mean we will need a new one a couple of years in advance of the WC.

I think Hill will be fine, at 30, he should make the next WC if his form continues.

1 minute ago, marklaspalmas said:

Fair enough, but just take your two best wingers who are fit and that's it.

Half-back & AHB options are important.

Your starting halves are Ratchford & Widdop? It's not amazing is it?

Perhaps he could go with Ratchford and centre and Connor at 6?

As GS suggests, Ratchford could be 1. I also think he may go with your halves and Ratchford off the bench at 9 (or rotate with Williams/Lomax for a spell).

It's not my preference, I'd have taken Clark as rotation at 9.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Maybe a bit harsh, but I agree that GW hasn't shown too much this year imo and its not as though Wigan have been a losing team. I am amazed at O'Loughins place though.  I think its time for him now and Chris Hill, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Bit harsh putting 30 year old Hill alongside 35 year old O'Loughlin. Hill will still be in with a shout for the next World Cup given his level of fitness and the general lifespan of a prop.

Only taking one hooker could be a mistake given the expected temperatures. Surprised to Daryl Clark miss out on that score.

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Is it just me that thinks George Williams is incredibly lucky to be anywhere near that squad? Ive not seen anything at both Wigan or England that tells me he's up to the job?

I've said this for years about him, even when people were tugging themselves silly over him, never saw anything in him myself, if he was at any club other than one of the big ones, he'd be nowhere near an International call up.

I still haven't seen anything of him to suggest he's better than most other English half backs, apart from his club badge, which is how international RL has been for years.

Don't see the point of taking SOL. Wont be around for the next major tournament.  Milner might have been a decent alternative.  Plays loose and cover /alternite hooker effectively.  Although tbf he's a different type of player to SOL and may not be the style of player Bennett is looking for in his 13.  Also think Watts unlucky to miss out, although his injury might have been a factor in that.

Think selection of Williams and probably Ratchford show weakness of our pivots.  Im not convinced by either of them at this level, presently, but can't really think  of many viable alternatives at this point.  With that in mind might have been a decent opportunity to blood Jack Walker at international level.

Roby playing 80 minutes is no problem he is one of the fittest players in the whole of Rugby League.

Think Richardson and Clark are a bit unfortunate not to be selected but if their decent form continues they should make the squad for the test series.

22 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

The fact that he spends more time suspended than he does playing might also have something to do with it.

Can only go on seeing him at Cas and he's been great for us. You will have to remind me when he was suspended playing for us.

1 minute ago, snapski said:

Can only go on seeing him at Cas and he's been great for us. You will have to remind me when he was suspended playing for us.

The reason you have him at cas is cos he couldn't behave himself lol

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

H and 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 minutes ago, snapski said:

I guess you could have said the same thing before he'd even played for you, disregarding his recent record, and that comment woulld have sounded just as silly then. I didn't realise that Cas existed in a vacuum and that a players prior record could be completely ignored as soon as he joined you.

49 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

The fact that he spends more time suspended than he does playing might also have something to do with it.

True.  He ought to save his aggression and direct it at his team mates after a few shandies if he wants to play for England. 

12 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

True.  He ought to save his aggression and direct it at his team mates after a few shandies if he wants to play for England. 

Bear in mind he is with you because his previous club released him due to off field issues.

29 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I guess you could have said the same thing before he'd even played for you, disregarding his recent record, and that comment woulld have sounded just as silly then. I didn't realise that Cas existed in a vacuum and that a players prior record could be completely ignored as soon as he joined you.

So Hardaker doesn't get a clean slate when he starts at Wigan then. When he is being pushed for international honours Wigan fans will be judging him on his Wigan form and behaviour. Guarantee it.

29 minutes ago, MZH said:

Bear in mind he is with you because his previous club released him due to off field issues.

Issues that were arguably less severe than Batemans actions.  My point is I don't think these issues should exempt him from England selection if he is playing well enough, it hasn't with others.  In terms of his on field discipline, the risk for England is that he gets sent off during an England match, although this is potentially higher risk than other options at prop it's still fairly unlikely and isn't a big enough issue to change my mind that based on form and ability he is unlucky not to be in the squad.

Also if Hull released him, can we have the substantial transfer fee back?

4 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

I get that but none of the 3 wingers can play anywhere else but wing. So that's one of the 2 out of the 17 already.

I see why players like Ratchford get the call. Even Connor and lomax offer options of covering more tahn one slot.

But surely a 2nd hooker should be there?

Makinson does a very good job at fullback just not in the ball playing way that Bennett usually goes for. 

Archived