Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

27 Oct: England v New Zealand KO 2.30pm (BBC TV)

Who will win?  

79 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Draw
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/10/18 at 13:30

54 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

New Zealand name an unchanged team:

NEW ZEALAND KIWIS

1 DALLIN WATENE-ZELEZNIAK (Penrith Panthers) captain

2 KEN MAUMALO (Vodafone Warriors)

3 ESAN MARSTERS (Wests Tigers)

4 JOSEPH MANU (Sydney Roosters)

5 JORDAN RAPANA (Canberra Raiders)

6 SHAUN JOHNSON (Vodafone Warriors)

7 KODI NIKORIMA (Brisbane Broncos)

8 JESSE BROMWICH (Melbourne Storm)

9 BRANDON SMITH (Melbourne Storm)

10 JARED WAEREA-HARGREAVES (Sydney Roosters)

11 KEVIN PROCTOR (Gold Coast Titans)

12 ISAAC LIU (Sydney Roosters)

13 JAMES FISHER-HARRIS (Penrith Panthers)

Interchange:

14 KENNY BROMWICH (Melbourne Storm)

15 LEESON AH MAU (St George Illawarra Dragons)

16 MARTIN TAUPAU (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)

17 ADAM BLAIR (Vodafone Warriors)

18 JAHROME HUGHES (Melbourne Storm)

19 JOSEPH TAPINE (Canberra Raiders)

http://nzrl.co.nz/unchanged-squad-for-first-test-against-england/

This is a strong team! The main man Johnson is there.... 

England without our key man, Widdop. NZ by 4pts in a close game. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

This is a strong team! The main man Johnson is there.... 

England without our key man, Widdop. NZ by 4pts in a close game. 

Joseph Manu is the one that worries me on current form.

Should be a great test series.

Really teed up by our win in Denver and their recent victory over the Kangeroos.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

That's a very good New Zealand team.  RTS is a big loss to any team buy DWZ is in fine form and I love watching him play. It's a good all round 17 with no obvious weaknesses.

Can't wait for this now.

P.s. apologies for the initials but on my phone I have zero chance of getting the names right. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Joseph Manu is the one that worries me on current form.

Should be a great test series.

Really tees up by our win in Denver and there recent victory over the Kangeroos.

I agree will be a great series with any luck. England's pack is very good and will get go forward.... Worried about the backs though. Manu, DWZ, and Johnson all worry me from NZs backs. It's a shame the 4N is gone as would love to see England rematch Oz this year. 

• Like 1

That Kiwis backline is capable of doing a lot of damage in open space and against the run of play, I don't think England's backs are capable of containing them. If England can control the ruck and restrict the Kiwis ball to the middle they'll have a good chance.

Kiwis by 4

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Have New Zealand Warriors renamed themselves Vodafone Warriors?!

How very modern.

Ever since Vodafone took over the sponsorship, which was a long time ago, they keep pushing the Vodafone name. The team and especially the fans are walking billboards for Vodafone at away games in Australia. The NRL is sponsored by Telstra hence the value for Vodafone.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dunbar said:

That's a very good New Zealand team.  RTS is a big loss to any team buy DWZ is in fine form and I love watching him play. It's a good all round 17 with no obvious weaknesses.

Can't wait for this now.

P.s. apologies for the initials but on my phone I have zero chance of getting the names right. 

Any comment up north about the inclusion of Sam Tompkins? The NZ press have scoffed at his selection.

5 hours ago, UniSamX said:

That Kiwis backline is capable of doing a lot of damage in open space and against the run of play

Sean Johnson is on notice from the Warriors to seek offers from other clubs. That will really motivate him and when he is motivated he is very dangerous although not quite as fast as he used to be.

36 minutes ago, Kiwiling said:

Any comment up north about the inclusion of Sam Tompkins? The NZ press have scoffed at his selection.

Tomkins is a good player who has had a decent season. He deserves his spot. The big question is where will Bennett use him. He has stated that Lomax is his full back and he also has Ratchford in the squad who while having utility value has been full back for quite a while now.

This all suggests that Tomkins is either ear marked for the halves or half/full back cover. To be honest, every English fan is waiting to see how Bennett will go with the halves.

As for his New Zealand stint, I thought Tomkins did ok in his first season and was ready for a big year 2 before his injury setbacks. I guess the New Zealand press consider him a failure?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Can't wait for this now.

I think their weaknesses are Nikorima and the lack of experience of Smith (although he was excellent against Aus) and a lack of mobility from the bench.

People called Romans they go the house

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Tomkins is a good player who has had a decent season. He deserves his spot. The big question is where will Bennett use him. He has stated that Lomax is his full back and he also has Ratchford in the squad who while having utility value has been full back for quite a while now.

This all suggests that Tomkins is either ear marked for the halves or half/full back cover. To be honest, every English fan is waiting to see how Bennett will go with the halves.

As for his New Zealand stint, I thought Tomkins did ok in his first season and was ready for a big year 2 before his injury setbacks. I guess the New Zealand press consider him a failure?

2 hours ago, Kiwiling said:

Sean Johnson is on notice from the Warriors to seek offers from other clubs. That will really motivate him and when he is motivated he is very dangerous although not quite as fast as he used to be.

He really is a dog dirt or diamonds type player. Can understand the Warriors position.

• Like 1

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/108106887/warriors-flop-named-to-play-for-england-against-kiwis

Stuff is the NZ website for Fairfax Media, publishers of the Sydney Morning Herald.

Tomkins problem was not so much his ability, but his pay packet. He was signed on superstar wages when by any account he was not an NRL superstar.

However one thing he did exceptionally well was set up the then Warriors centre Konrad Hurrell, recently signed by Leeds. Hurrell is big and very fast for his size, Sam used to time his position and pass so that Konnie got the ball near the gap at full speed. Once in a gap Konnie was difficult to stop, especially close to the line. When Sam wasn't playing Konnie was nowhere near as lethal.

Sam came down under with the man of steel prize and quickly showed he was anything but steel on defence, although he still had to be watched up in the backline.

A new club CEO took the opportunity when Sam wanted to go back up north to use his wages to sign the up and coming Roger Tuivasa-Scheck from Sydney Roosters. That move turned into a massive success and RTS won the Dally M Medal this season.

So poor old Sam had the misfortune of a smart agent finding a club desperate for talent. When he moved on his wages went to a kid who turned into a genuine superstar, so the comparisons have been brutal.

Fans down here rate the English team, and especially Wayne Bennett, so when Sam was named in the team it sure raised eyebrows. The Kiwis won't fear him at all.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

He really is a dog dirt or diamonds type player. Can understand the Warriors position.

Johnson is a precocious talent who has been wasted at the Warriors for years behind a weak pack. They had to pay him massive wages to keep him. Until this season if he wasn't playing the club usually lost, that was how good he was or how bad the team was, take your pick. So by sticking with a poor club he has become wealthy but his best years are past him and the club has to look ahead. I think he will be dynamic on this tour behind such a good forward pack. Not saying the English forwards are weak, they are tough as teak, but I think the Kiwis will at least have parity up front and Johnson will be very dangerous. Personally I think the Warriors would like him to stay, but not on superstar wages. If one of the northern clubs managed to snare him he would be a genuine rock star up there, I have no doubt of that.

Edited by Kiwiling

Strong side, excellent spine good bench!

Barstewards!

The Kiwis are the new Aussies!

Edited by Oxford

RL1.JPG.6a10be03c5528650e188f078de012540.JPG

1 hour ago, MrPosh said:

I think their weaknesses are Nikorima and the lack of experience of Smith (although he was excellent against Aus) and a lack of mobility from the bench.

If the old saying your only as good as your last game is correct, then Smith is one to be very aware of, just my opinion but I do not think he could have been a cig paper's thickness from recieving the MOM v Aus.

And has for Nikorima, I wish we had him to select.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPosh said:

Nikorima may be less experienced internationally than the other Kiwis, as is Smith, but they are both from top eight NRL clubs. Nikorima has played almost 80 games for the Broncos under Wayne Bennett so is no slouch. Brandon Smith is the looming replacement for Cameron Smith at the Storm, so he has been selected by the best talent spotting club in the NRL. He will be a star.

So if they are weaknesses, it is very strong team. For example Mason Lino, the understudy to Shaun Johnson at the Warriors would be quite capable of playing at test level, so Nikorima wasn't selected out of desperation.

One player worth noting is Joseph Tapine, from Canberra. He didn't play against the Kangaroos because of injury so is not in the 17 for this game. He was a standout in the disastrous RLWC last year and has been compared to Sonny Bill Williams. If he can be left out of a forward pack, you can be assured it is a very good pack indeed.

55 minutes ago, Kiwiling said:

Johnson is a precocious talent who has been wasted at the Warriors for years behind a weak pack. They had to pay him massive wages to keep him. Until this season if he wasn't playing the club usually lost, that was how good he was or how bad the team was, take your pick. So by sticking with a poor club he has become wealthy but his best years are past him and the club has to look ahead. I think he will be dynamic on this tour behind such a good forward pack. Not saying the English forwards are weak, they are tough as teak, but I think the Kiwis will at least have parity up front and Johnson will be very dangerous. Personally I think the Warriors would like him to stay, but not on superstar wages. If one of the northern clubs managed to snare him he would be a genuine rock star up there, I have no doubt of that.

He will not being going to England ,any of about ten NRL clubs would be happy to pay big money for him.Great player when he is willing to cop some bruises and run the ball , horrible when he tries to play in a dinner suit.

Just now, Hullfan said:

Glad jake Connor is starting at centre and Sam tomkins is playin in the halves, England by 6

I would imagine Saints aren't!

Ive read this and also that ST is in the halves but has the team been announced yet, officially?

16 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

Glad jake Connor is starting at centre and Sam tomkins is playin in the halves, England by 6

This right ?

Playing Tomkins in the halves makes sense. He's been used there to good effect for Wigan and having lost a few players he's the best natural playmaker we have. At times England have struggled for creativity in the halves (and that could be more apparent without Widdop) so I can see the logic in changing things a bit. Bennett sticking with Lomax at fullback just highlights his desire for consistency. Yes, Ratchford has been outstanding this year and was MOTM in the Grand Final, but Lomax has done well for England and not let the side down so there's no issue in keeping with what works. Fans always want form players to be rewarded but we've already seen how keeping faith with the likes of McGillvary, Hall, Hill and perhaps even O'Loughlin has produced good results.

I'm delighted to see Gildart included. His end of season form was outstanding and it justifies his decision to turn down Italy's world cup offer and focus on fighting for a place in the England side. In Percival, Connor and Gildart we've got 3 very promising young centres and hopefully all will get their opportunities.