Jump to content

Where are RLs Huge Athletes


OMEGA

Recommended Posts

Accross many major sports the last 20 years weve seen genuinely powerful yet superbly athletic giants emerge

Boxing  - Lewis, both Klitschko’s, Joshua, Wilder, Fury, Joyce etc there are loads of 6’6”  to 6’10” + 

Basketball - Has changed from 7” lanky beanpoles often awkward looking to superbly proportioned athletes

NFL - Has a range of upper 6’ close to 7’ huge all rounders who have speed, agility, power & endurance

Even here in England we see Rugby Union players standing 6’8” & 6’10” but they’ve evolved into fine athletes with great skill & speed. They’ve unearthed a great wing prospect in Joe Cokanasiga 6’5” 18st with great speed, power & good hands. Players like Itoje & Courtney Laws also.

I know Rugby League Players have got bigger and we have some genuine big men with athletic ability like Sam Burgess but most are big but without being agile or athletic. In general our biggest guys are 6’4” with the odd exception but the exceptions are quite one dimensional. We have a great number of 5’10” to 6’2” (not small men) who have good speed, footwork, endurance and athletic ability but where are the giants that are dominating the elite levels of other sports?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

League doesn’t lend itself to tall players as well as the other sports you’ve mentioned. Tall players = higher centres of gravity = harder to make yards on impact.  

Either that or their poor northern diets mean they don’t grow as tall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brendan Hill (a chunky six foot ten) has retired. Other people have taken his place who are better players overall. Some are big, some are not. The good ones are... er, good.

And as soon as we get a list of good big guys, someone will start a thread about how the game's only about huge blokes these days.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure that the OP is being realistic. NFL have always had big players but they all get very limited game time in the 60 minutes. Basketball?  Come on, please!

RU forwards need scrummaging props and tall line out forwards.  All these forwards only have do get back 1metre to the defensive line, RL go back 10m

One example where the two games are different is Bateman... he can play 2nd row and centre and if pressed hooker. Even allowing for that, England's middles are pretty big.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Brendan Hill (a chunky six foot ten) has retired. Other people have taken his place who are better players overall. Some are big, some are not. The good ones are... er, good.

And as soon as we get a list of good big guys, someone will start a thread about how the game's only about huge blokes these days.

If Brendan Hill was 6ft 10, I must be 7ft plus and I don't have any problems getting through a door, think your about a foot out there!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Different sports, different requirements. Boxers don’t actually run anyware, NFL are in motion for 30seconds each, union taller players are there for the tours en l’air. Do we need just tall players or those able to meet the demands of the game.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always thought that if Big Crabtree had James Grahams aggression he could have took over the RL world.... Saying that, in the average England career his had high point was that every time he played against them the Aussies could never handle him for some reason.

Would have also liked to see Martin Johnson have a couple of years in RL before he retired to see if he could have smashed his way through a RL pack - he was massive.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Always thought that if Big Crabtree had James Grahams aggression he could have took over the RL world.... Saying that, in the average England career his had high point was that every time he played against them the Aussies could never handle him for some reason.

Would have also liked to see Martin Johnson have a couple of years in RL before he retired to see if he could have smashed his way through a RL pack - he was massive.

Johnson's handling skills would be the first problem. That we know for sure.

Getting back up from proper hard tackling? We don't know.

Being a thoroughly dirty player who the London-based press would have damned to hell and back if he didn't play for England RU? That would be a nasty shock for him.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's definitely a "Goldilocks size" for league players.

You mentioned the tall union players which are mainly locks. They would all get destroyed in league and be a defensive liability.

In saying that, Nelson A-S, David Klemmer and Corey Oates are all monsters (6'7", 6'6" and 6'4" respectively).

 

If you want to see size and why there is a limit look at Jordan Mailata. 6'7" and 157kg and very proportionate.

 

 

He was told by the Rabbitohs to look into the NFL because he would never hit that elite level with the minutes required of him.

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Pulga said:

There's definitely a "Goldilocks size" for league players.

You mentioned the tall union players which are mainly locks. They would all get destroyed in league and be a defensive liability.

In saying that, Nelson A-S, David Klemmer and Corey Oates are all monsters (6'7", 6'6" and 6'4" respectively).

 

If you want to see size and why there is a limit look at Jordan Mailata. 6'7" and 157kg and very proportionate.

 

 

He was told by the Rabbitohs to look into the NFL because he would never hit that elite level with the minutes required of him.

yeah pretty much you described the tallest players once they hit about 6'6 that would be the max RL players reach. 7 foot would be the absolute max and of course there are not many of them, BJ Mather springs to mind, Matt Parsons played for the Knights in the early 2000s , current players like Campbell Graham and Daniel Tupou would be around there. 7 foot guys in RL shouldn't have much muscle mass as well otherwise they'd be moving around slower unless they have freakish genes like Jordan Mailata who as well would struggle to get game time at 150+kg but they'd certainly be hard to stop 5-10 metres from the try line..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I’d argue players like Greg Inglis and Latrell Mitchell are specimen rugby league ‘ubermench’. 6ft5-ish, 17-odd stone, athletic, quick, good hands, evasive. If you want freakish size, then Nelson Asofa-Solomona says hi

They aren't 6'5 at all. 6'3 at best. Sam Burgess at 6'4 is taller than both 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pulga said:

You mentioned the tall union players which are mainly locks. They would all get destroyed in league and be a defensive liability.

Nice joke! Brodie Retallick of the All Blacks at 6'8 is an absolute machine and would be a great player on the rugby field. Maro Itoje is another such player. You clearly have no idea 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

They aren't 6'5 at all. 6'3 at best. Sam Burgess at 6'4 is taller than both 

Mitchell is 6'4", Inglis 6'5" (as is Burgess).

I think we're doing ok for size, the shortest first-team outside back for the Roosters this year was 6'3" and 101kg in Blake Ferguson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Nice joke! Brodie Retallick of the All Blacks at 6'8 is an absolute machine and would be a great player on the rugby field. Maro Itoje is another such player. You clearly have no idea 

Retallick would have no place in the game. You think he could keep up the pace for any meaningful amount of time? He would also have to cover more area in defence which would ruin him.

2 inches taller than Klemmer. Think he'd be the second highest metre water in the game? Not even close.

new rise.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, UTK said:

Mitchell is 6'4", Inglis 6'5" (as is Burgess).

I think we're doing ok for size, the shortest first-team outside back for the Roosters this year was 6'3" and 101kg in Blake Ferguson

Here is an image of Sonny Bill Williams and Greg Inglis. SBW is measured as 6'3. I think 2 inches have been added to Inglis' height wherever you're getting that from 

Greg+Inglis+Sonny+Bill+Williams+NRL+Rd+1+Roosters+VJCulDa8UIHl.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...