Independent Group

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Poor old Vince . A non party of several with a lifespan of hours is more popular than them 

Terrifying thing for Cable is that that poll is much better than yesterday’s.

The movement on a rough read is all from Labour.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember Tony Benn debating with Roy Jenkins on TV years ago. Jenkins, who came from quite a humble background was a notorious snob and social climber. Benn, who had renounced his peerage previously said to Jenkins- " I've had what you want Roy and believe me it's just not worth it".

And a serial Sh*agg*r by all accounts!!

11 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

Angela Smith supports water privatisation! 

One of the reasons why I can't get particularly over excited about them as yet. Other than brexit we don't know much about what their collective stance is on most of the important issues, NHS, education, transport, welfare etc. Until we know something about these I'm making no judgements one way or another.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

If the Indy group align/arrange/or merge with the Lib Dems and Greens they won't win an Election outright but could well hold the balance of power.  If they were to merge then they would benefit from the nationwide constituency base of the Lib Dems.

Don't underestimate this breakaway  and the money their backers have. 

Just now, Father Ted said:

If the Indy group align/arrange/or merge with the Lib Dems and Greens they won't win an Election outright but could well hold the balance of power.  If they were to merge then they would benefit from the nationwide constituency base of the Lib Dems.

Don't underestimate this breakaway  and the money their backers have. 

That is the key in modern day politics. Unfortunately. That is also why the current incarnation of UKIP is sunk, they are now far too toxic for anyone with serious money to invest in (not unfortunately).

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

7 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

That poll makes this even more reminiscent of the SDP. The SDP allowed in Thatcher for a second term and in my experience that was the worse government in living memory.

Worse than we have now? Even Thatcher didn't stoop so low as universal credit, systematically making the very poor poorer.

20 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

That poll makes this even more reminiscent of the SDP. The SDP allowed in Thatcher for a second term and in my experience that was the worse government in living memory.

The SDP was undeniably a factor, as was Labour's lurch to the far left. 

2 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

The SDP was undeniably a factor, as was Labour's lurch to the far left. 

My main issue with the Corbynista faction is not their policies, but that they are terrible at politics. Principles are vanity, and politics is a popularit contest, as are keeping people on side that you might very rightly have huge reservations about.

It is all very well to say good riddence to the newly independents, all very well for vanity. In reality, you need to deals with sometimes horrible people.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

27 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Worse than we have now? Even Thatcher didn't stoop so low as universal credit, systematically making the very poor poorer.

Thatcher broke the postwar consensus. She had a worse long term effect than this government are likely to have although I accept we don’t don’t know the long term effect of the EU referendum result yet.

5 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

The flip side of this is that if public and media pressure grows enough that these MPs are forced to hold a by election, the chances are the Tories will win a significant chunk of those.

3 hours ago, ckn said:

A bit of context and caution to add to that:

Luckily there's no chance of those turkeys voting for Christmas.

I've never heard of this woman but from looking at her track record she appears to be some sort of militant Zionist with a record of false flag racism claims who publicly supported Theresa May in the 2017 election, suffered a defeat in a motion of no confidence by her CLP late last year and then blamed the motion on 'Stalinists and communists'. Seems like a perfectly normal and reasonable person.

11 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

No great loss to the Tory party if Soubry goes. Hope she takes Grieve, Woolaston and Allen with her.

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, I must have imagine him throwing his hat in the ring and then grabbing it back before it landed.

Tony Blair ruined the smooth, slick but ultimately empty husk of a politician image years ago. Your boy will have to come up with something different.

6 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

In that case he should call a by-election now, which would be effectively ending his political career, and then we could all move on. Umunna is an ineffectual chump and about as genuine as Michael Gove.

8 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

I've never heard of this woman but from looking at her track record she appears to be some sort of militant Zionist with a record of false flag racism claims who publicly supported Theresa May in the 2017 election, suffered a defeat in a motion of no confidence by her CLP late last year and then blamed the motion on 'Stalinists and communists'. Seems like a perfectly normal and reasonable person.

It’s reminiscent of the cross code forum whenever a RL player gets signed to union.

never any good, past his best, worked him out.

All it needs is “just doing it for the money” and “didn’t need him anyway” for the full set.

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

It’s reminiscent of the cross code forum whenever a RL player gets signed to union.

never any good, past his best, worked him out.

All it needs is “just doing it for the money” and “didn’t need him anyway” for the full set.

Not really. I've thought Umunna was an ineffectual coward since his swift exit from the leadership campaign in 2015 and as said, I've never heard of Joan Ryan but her record appears to speak for itself. There are others I'm also looking forward to leaving, Tom Watson and Ian Austin to name two. The bigger question is how such a rotten sect came to be in the Labour party in the first place.

Archived