Manchester Rangers ?

C'mon Marwan, this is something to get your teeth into. Can you strengthen the game in Manchester? Do a Bob Brown. 

13 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Sad,it's probably a sign of the times and also a lack of support for rugby league in greater Manchester. 

Or more the fact that self interest saw their bid to join the professional leagues rejected and the money men thought what's the point of banging your head against a brick wall.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Or more the fact that self interest saw their bid to join the professional leagues rejected and the money men thought what's the point of banging your head against a brick wall.

That wouldn't surprise me,I don't know the ins and outs.Either way it's unfortunate. People put in time and effort to progress a club only to be stopped. I love the game whoever the club so to me this is a step backwards.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

It is a sad state of affairs.  I was hoping for them to break into the RFL.  

I read on another site that they were after the Hemel licence that is now allegedly going to Ottawa.  That was apparently the breaking point for the backers.

I would have loved RFL rugby at the Etihad campus (academy stadium)

3 hours ago, fighting irish said:

C'mon Marwan, this is something to get your teeth into. Can you strengthen the game in Manchester? Do a Bob Brown. 

Marwan + Expansion = the RFL rattled and fans annoyed on two counts.

Perfect!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

It is sad. MR seemed really innovative in their approach and surely could’ve managed the 200-400 punters that most L1 clubs get? 

L1 gets made up as it goes along. Teams come with a fanfare and then fall away cos support isn’t maintained. Others are dropped in and slice through it like a hot knife through butter. Rules are changed to ensure some clubs are promoted. Surely if there was a sustainable plan behind MR something could’ve been worked out. 

Expansion for me is NOT about heartland v non heartland; it’s about growing the sport. 

a really sad ending to what was an interesting project, shame on the RLF for denying them in the first place, no wonder the money men walked away, 

2 minutes ago, owls said:

a really sad ending to what was an interesting project, shame on the RLF for denying them in the first place, no wonder the money men walked away, 

I presume the clubs will have also been included in this decision to reject the MR? Seems to have been the case with Ottawa and New York that it was pitched to the clubs first.

6 hours ago, Phil said:

Just to clarify that Manchester Rangers ARLFC is now a different entity from the limited company that wanted to enter League One.

What has happened is a change of direction based on a different set of people running the club.

The club (foundation) has an excellent Junior set up with the Belle Vue Bees and the new high schools league.

The efforts are now being shifted to developing the Belle Vues Bees into an open age team.

The intention for Belle Vue Bees to be the feeder to the Manchester Rangers Open Age team.

When the fallout with the RFL occurred back in January/February the club was geared up into entering the reserve leagues as Salford's feeder team.  It left little time for new quite young leadership to regroup the players who are happy to focus in being an amateur club ready for division 2 MWML.  

Some players taking the option to leave for reserves football, (Ben Steele currently playing in Australia ) or just make it the last season for the older players.  In hindsight the squad was too light with only running one team last year and it was felt better to withdraw this year, as it was going to be money wasted if enough players were not available for the entire season.

The loss of the old board significantly hitting the club in terms of a loss of a budget that would have been higher than most league one clubs.  To basically the players self-funding the club.  Fiscal responsibility has to take precedence over the emotion of staying in division 2 for 2019.

The club is continuing to run its training sessions for the Belle Vues Bees out of Belle Vue Sports Village on a Thursday night 5-7pm

I have grave misgivings about the RFL not looking at local expansion. National and international is fine, but you must grow and promote the game in the heartlands. 

Saturate an area and slowly spread from there.

Ensure the game is strong from schools up. 

The RFL are chasing dreams with the Northern America experiment (and likely to have some good trios there as a result) but if you ignore the heartland s then the backbone and spirit of the sport will die  

Manchester should he part of heartlands expansion and if not the RFL should hang their heads in shame!

6 hours ago, doc said:

Is the big argument  too many teams in one area? There are seven(?)non league football clubs in Tameside, and they seem to survive. 

Same argument could be said for Liverpool with Wigan, Warrington, Saints and Widnes nearby.

They were told one option would be to buy an existing club in Greater Manchester (ie Oldham, Swinton or Rochdale) and relocate them. Plans to run as Salford’s reserve side seem to also have fallen flat

12 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

I have grave misgivings about the RFL not looking at local expansion. National and international is fine, but you must grow and promote the game in the heartlands. 

Saturate an area and slowly spread from there.

Ensure the game is strong from schools up. 

The RFL are chasing dreams with the Northern America experiment (and likely to have some good trios there as a result) but if you ignore the heartland s then the backbone and spirit of the sport will die  

Manchester should he part of heartlands expansion and if not the RFL should hang their heads in shame!

This is an unpopular opinion but if Swinton, Oldham and Rochdale merged would they be missed? How many people go to watch them? How many players do they produce? How are they marketing themselves? What do they see the future of the sport being?

10 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Same argument could be said for Liverpool with Wigan, Warrington, Saints and Widnes nearby.

They were told one option would be to buy an existing club in Greater Manchester (ie Oldham, Swinton or Rochdale) and relocate them. Plans to run as Salford’s reserve side seem to also have fallen flat

The RFL said they could not play under the name Manchester Rangers, had to play under the name Salford. 

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

The RFL said they could not play under the name Manchester Rangers, had to play under the name Salford. 

"The RFL said ...." this is all you need to say really, they should come with some kind of health warning

THE RFL

1076262913_stayin.PNG.a176527363993d8e5ea186b6ea80bdc8.PNG

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Having Manchester Rangers as Salford reserve side and running a combined Manchester academy side for Salford, Oldham, Swinton, Rochdale.. are amazingly good ideas! Thinking outside the square is a way to have expansion and a reserve grade competition. For example a Liverpool club could be set up as reserve grade side for St Helens or Widnes or Warrington. Eliminating the need for new expansion sides to have an RFL license, they would act as a supplier of a reserve grade side to a holder or holders of an RFL license. Look at the NRL reserve grade sides for many teams do not have the same name and have a formal agreement to act as the reserve grade side for a NRL club. 

1 hour ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Having Manchester Rangers as Salford reserve side and running a combined Manchester academy side for Salford, Oldham, Swinton, Rochdale.. are amazingly good ideas! Thinking outside the square is a way to have expansion and a reserve grade competition. For example a Liverpool club could be set up as reserve grade side for St Helens or Widnes or Warrington. Eliminating the need for new expansion sides to have an RFL license, they would act as a supplier of a reserve grade side to a holder or holders of an RFL license. Look at the NRL reserve grade sides for many teams do not have the same name and have a formal agreement to act as the reserve grade side for a NRL club. 

The RFL thought otherwise.

1/2 million reasons why not.

for me the fundamental issue must have been to do with the badge... is it blue or purple?!?!?! :kolobok_ph34r:

looks purple on the site but then on the photo with the advertising boarding it looks blue on the boarding... the RFL must have been watching the kits thread and thought "we cant have another debatable colour issue" and told them where to go! 

for anyone doubting this as a possible explanation i suggest you havent been following RL for long enough... it makes more sense than their normal reasoning for this sort of thing!

Its just sad this. 

If I was the RFL I'd be pushing for this and Liverpool in the league - they're the only 2 large 'northern cities' that are missing teams that are identifiably theirs at the moment (as opposed to Swinton having Manchester on their badge or St Helens and Wire being many Liverpudlians' team of choice). From there grow into Preston, Blackpool, Southport, Bolton, Carlisle etc. even if on the amateur level at first.

Even in the lower leagues it seems like such a wasted opportunity - at the Etihad they have facilities that compare well against most SL clubs never mind L1 and Championship. They could be the size of Coventry Bears and still make a real difference. For me the strength of RL shouldn't be measured by the strength of the top necessarily. If we have 12 Wigan sized teams that's great, but if there's nothing behind that its pointless. We should be aiming for 100s of Hemel Stags' across the UK.

RL! It makes you want to pull your hair out sometimes!

Sounds like Swinton’s CEO Andy Mazey has ambitions:

‘’Like it or not what your watching on SKY tonight is the future of this sport mate. Our challenge now is to keep building (remember we are just 18 months in) and align with the vision and the Toronto’s, NYC’s, Ottawa’s and all the big city clubs as Manchester’s team” (from Twitter)

Archived