Speediest speedster in RL

6 minutes ago, Gates1 said:

I'd have Eden as the quickest at Cas (excluding the young players anyway, Lewis Carr looks quick).

Was a best guess about Leeds.  Could well be Briscoe or even young Newman.

No, I'd agree with Handley and by some distant to Briscoe - Jack Walker probs next and if he ever plays for Leeds again Ashton Goulding probably quickest at Leeds. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

During the '88 Lions tour the Aussies arranged a sprint between Offiah and I think it was Lee Oderyun, like everything in Australia there was a book run on it. Offiah ran at 3/4 pace to make it look genuine but Oderyun won to forever be known as the fastest man in RL for what was left of his short career, whilst the Lions squad and those of us in the know counted our winnings?

If I remember correctly Offiah scored 2 (or 3) tries in the game that followed and Oderyun didn't get anywhere near him when chasing

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

52 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

Over 40m Morgan Escare would take some beating. He's very quick. 

100m is a long way for a rugby player so it's a different category to pure acceleration over a short distance. 

Over 100m, I would think Dixon just ahead of Grace then Mason Caton Brown. 

Not sure you could get a 100m race down a rl pitch as you would need at least 20m over the finish line to stop safely. 

However over 100m Tom Johnston (pre injury) everytime . He may not be the fastest over the first 30/40 but once he builds up to full speed he retains his pace and seems to easily sustain it over a long distance.

37 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

No, I'd agree with Handley and by some distant to Briscoe - Jack Walker probs next and if he ever plays for Leeds again Ashton Goulding probably quickest at Leeds. 

Wondered about Walker and Golding just couldn't remember seeing them in full flight in open field. 

3 hours ago, Clogiron said:

During the '88 Lions tour the Aussies arranged a sprint between Offiah and I think it was Lee Oderyun, like everything in Australia there was a book run on it. Offiah ran at 3/4 pace to make it look genuine but Oderyun won to forever be known as the fastest man in RL for what was left of his short career, whilst the Lions squad and those of us in the know counted our winnings?

It was ‘92 Cloggy. 

rldfsignature.jpg

20 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Dixon currently. 

Twice today Dixon gave Caton-Brown a bit of space on the outside and got slaughtered by him. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

7 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

A foot race, length of the pitch with normal studs....let's say the going is firm. Evidence required if possible

I'll start ....watch 30 seconds in....Super Kieran Dixon...no one faster in my opinion

He’s got destroyed by raw pace on two occasions today by Mason Caton-Brown who was also carrying the ball!

Id have to say MCB is the fastest I’ve seen in recent years and that’s even in comparison with  a fully fit Tom Johnstone who’d be my second choice

5 hours ago, Gates1 said:

Of the current players (1 from each SL team I'd guess to be the quickest)

Saints (Grace)

Wire (Charnley)

Cas (Eden)

Hull (Shaul)

Wakefield (Caton Brown or Johnstone)

Catalan (Broughton or Tierney)

Wigan (Marshall)

Hull KR (Shaw)

Salford (Evalds)

Huddersfield (McIntosh?)

Leeds (Handley)

London (Dixon)

My money would be in Dixon, with a cover bet on whoever Wakey sent.

Hull's nominee over 100m would be Naulago I reckon.

4 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Josh Addo-Carr and Ryan Papanhuyzen from Melbourne Storm are probably in the top 3 from the NRL. James Roberts although a Centre for the Broncos, is up there.

Bevan French (Parramatta), when fully fit, is very quick too.

St George-Illawarra's fringe player Jai Field caught my eye in an Auckland Nines match, when he went the length of the field with fine pace and balance, skimming the touchline.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

It was ‘92 Cloggy. 

I won't argue, when you get to my age being 4 year's out is neither here or there remembering it at all is a plus?

8 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Pretty sure this was a thing, well a running competition with players in full kit and boots, holding a ball. I seem to remember Darren Albert entering as Saints’ participant. No idea who won it. 

I think it was Albert wasn't it?

When Steve Prescott scored that iconic try (iconic to me at least) against Saints I remember Albert being the one that gave chase, and all the talk was about him outpacing the fastest man in RL.

Going off topic a bit but I was just looking for a picture of that swan dive but couldn't see anything. Anyone got it?

48 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Twice today Dixon gave Caton-Brown a bit of space on the outside and got slaughtered by him. 

And Dixon skinned MCB twice as well. One a 90m effort and another one that was close to it (before scoring from the resultant pen). 

16 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

Yeah Albert won it one year, think Craig Calvert from Whitehaven was second and a lad called David Doherty from Leeds Academy, who went over to union, was 3rd

I'm trying to rack my brains now for another Leeds youngster who competed in a few of them. Never made it at Leeds (not even sure he played first team at all) but might have gone on to play at a lower level.

Any idea who I am thinking of?

6 minutes ago, MZH said:

I'm trying to rack my brains now for another Leeds youngster who competed in a few of them. Never made it at Leeds (not even sure he played first team at all) but might have gone on to play at a lower level.

Any idea who I am thinking of?

Having done some more googling I was thinking of Jamel Chisholm.

He's as Oldham now apparently.

Archived