• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

What did he do, to deserve a ban from the club?

Liverpool, rightly, do not let The Sun into Anfield.

This fits in with the city of Liverpool's ongoing boycott of the Sun.

Because the Sun made the decision to knowingly lie about the 96 who died at Hillsborough by dragging their names, and those of every other supporter at the game, through the mud.

EDIT

Everton also ban them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Fair enough, I didn't know that.

Its hardly the lads fault, is it? Or was he the reporter at the time?

Anyway, if he's innocent, its a bit rum of the newspaper to sack him! 

5 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Fair enough, I didn't know that.

Its hardly the lads fault, is it? Or was he the reporter at the time?

Anyway, if he's innocent, its a bit rum of the newspaper to sack him! 

It's not his fault at all. And, if it's true, I'm sure the RFL didn't know that there would be an issue with accreditation for a rugby league match.

That said, Magic was a couple of weeks ago. Have they only just sacked him?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Did he refuse to go knowing it would result in confrontation with liverpool fc and the sun were trying it on to try and sneakily break the banning of the sun from the ground.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

42 minutes ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

Apparently the sun has sacked its rugby league correspondent because Liverpool fc  banned him from reporting on the magic weekend. From what I have read on Twitter..

If the Sun has sacked one if it's employees because a third party has acted against them, then the employee is bang to rights for an employment tribunal.

It can't be right that that was the reason for dismissal.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

22 minutes ago, Bearman said:

If the Sun has sacked one if it's employees because a third party has acted against them, then the employee is bang to rights for an employment tribunal.

It can't be right that that was the reason for dismissal.

I agree, I don't see how he could be sacked completely. It's all a bit vague but they could have stopped him reporting on Rugby League just and assigned him reporting duties elsewhere, basically to get back at Rugby League.

1 hour ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

Apparently the sun has sacked its rugby league correspondent because Liverpool fc  banned him from reporting on the magic weekend. From what I have read on Twitter..

If it's on twitter, it must be true.............

7 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Could it be that he was acting against instructions from the editor by trying to get into the ground?

He was officially accredited by the RFL for the event so thought he was able to attend. When he got there he was told by Liverpool FC that he wasn’t allowed in and his accreditation was cancelled by them. Whatever the rights and wrongs of Liverpool v The Sun, there is an issue here of a host stadium overruling our governing body as to who can and can’t report on a flagship event. If people are ok with that then fine.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Sounds like a bit of a misunderstanding on Gary Carter's, and/or his editor's behalf on not understanding that LFCs ban on employees of the S*n meant ALL employees for ALL events. However, it is churlish to say the least to sack Gary Carter and end reporting of RL just because of this incident, but then it is the lowest of the low in British journalism we're talking about so we shouldn't be too suprised. 

As for boycotting the rag I've been doing that for decades, as should all right minded people. (It's actually quite difficult to get hold of one round here as virtually nowhere stocks it anymore, and those that do hide it under the counter like contraband).

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

2 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

The tweet I saw about if was from @Martyn Sadler?

Ah, if it's from a journalist, it must be true............

6 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Sounds like a bit of a misunderstanding on Gary Carter's, and/or his editor's behalf on not understanding that LFCs ban on employees of the S*n meant ALL employees for ALL events. However, it is churlish to say the least to sack Gary Carter and end reporting of RL just because of this incident, but then it is the lowest of the low in British journalism we're talking about so we shouldn't be too suprised. 

As for boycotting the rag I've been doing that for decades, as should all right minded people. (It's actually quite difficult to get hold of one round here as virtually nowhere stocks it anymore, and those that do hide it under the counter like contraband).

I agree, them getting rid of Page 3 was the final straw for me

2 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

The tweet I saw about if was from @Martyn Sadler?

I didn't say The Sun had sacked Gary.

I don't know what his contractual situation with that newspaper is.

I'm also not aware of the latest state of affairs between Super League and that newspaper.

But my view is that Super League shouldn't allow a host stadium to veto journalists from any media organisation who would seek to gain accreditation to cover an event. It should be a Super League decision only.

Liverpool may have very good reasons for wanting to ban The Sun, but in that case it would be wise to take the Magic Weekend elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

The police lied about Hillsborough. Can we please add them to Liverpool's (and the forum's) list of people they deny entry to?

Well I very much doubt they'll be extending invitations to David Duckenfield  and crew anytime soon.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

5 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

You're quite right, you didn't. I was mixing that up with the comment in the OP. Apologies. 

According to this report

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/is-the-sun-boycotting-rugby-league-20746/?fbclid=IwAR0gNMD0fIyL0alrbDyyHNXJjDbu43-tNZ1DM6lOyTvjJPFIU83ECfnnOSw

... The Sun hasn't reported or even given scores for RL games since then.

Have the Sun used this situation as a way of dumping their coverage of Rugby League? Whatever we personally think of The Sun (I don't buy it myself) it is the biggest selling newspaper in the UK...

30 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I don't know what his contractual situation with that newspaper is.

I'm also not aware of the latest state of affairs between Super League and that newspaper.

But my view is that Super League shouldn't allow a host stadium to veto journalists from any media organisation who would seek to gain accreditation to cover an event. It should be a Super League decision only.

Liverpool may have very good reasons for wanting to ban The Sun, but in that case it would be wise to take the Magic Weekend elsewhere.

Do you honestly believe that Rugby League should only play games in places where The Sun is allowed entry?

I can't believe you would advocate pandering to that rag in such a fashion, but it seems you are.

3 minutes ago, wasginger said:

as it has nothing but contempt for the ordinary man in the street.

That would hardly pick it out from the crowd.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived