Each club’s one main rival?

What would you say is your club’s one main rival?

It would be interesting to see how many of them are reciprocated - eg in foootball Everton would consider Liverpool to be their main rival but Liverpool could consider Man Utd to be theirs, while Norwich v Ipswich is reciprocated. 

To start, Saints’ is Wigan. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as a Leeds supporter I would not say we have a main rival I know there's a few clubs that consider us there rivals but off the top of my head there's none that stand out these days.

in the old days it was clearly hunslet  but of course that's well in the past  but now there's no one team for Leeds supporters we just enjoy the silly hatred from other west Yorkshire teams towards us 

6 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Hull v Leeds is another one. Leeds, in any sport, are not well liked in Hull (except when they win at Wembley :kolobok_ph34r:)

So do you think most Hull fans would prefer to beat Leeds than HKR?

I have to say as a Leeds fan I agree totally with the sentiment expressed on here about our rivalries. First in my mind is Wigan. Then a big SL rivalry with Saints and Wire. 

Our Yorkshire derbies are big games but depend on the level of the opposition at the time.

2 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I guess Leigh would consider Wigan as their main rivals, but not the other way round.

There's a bit of a generational thing from a Leigh point of view. I've no doubt at all that the majority of fans would consider Wigan to be our main rival, but from a personal point of view and a lot of Leigh fans of a similar age (32), competitive games against Wigan have been few and far between in our lifetime, so there is generally a greater concentration on Salford, Widnes and Featherstone (in no particular order) and even Hull KR in the mid-2000's.

As a Leeds fan it's Hunslet in theory. I'm wary of Leeds fans who feel soft or sympathy for them.

But in reality nowadays it's Cas first locally and Wigan first outside Yorkshire. Never really got the Bradford thing which was hyped for a couple of decades. They're local and rivals yes and we got thrown together in some huge games for a while. But Cas has always been no 1 for me.

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

It would be interesting to see how many of them are reciprocated - eg in foootball Everton would consider Liverpool to be their main rival but Liverpool could consider Man Utd to be theirs, while Norwich v Ipswich is reciprocated. 

In the late 80s there was no bigger game than Wigan v Widnes  

Chief Crazy Eagle

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

These things change currently City are Liverpool’s main rival I couldn’t care less how United do. 15 years ago Arsenal not Liverpool would’ve been uniteds main rival. In RL Leeds and Bradford would’ve been each other’s main rival now Leeds is probably Cas and Bradford Halifax. 

Traditionally ours are Halifax but in the more recent super league era i'd say it's more Wakefield and recently Leeds, although both their sets of fans claim they don't care about us they go bonkers when they beat us !

1 minute ago, daz39 said:

Traditionally ours are Halifax but in the more recent super league era i'd say it's more Wakefield and recently Leeds, although both their sets of fans claim they don't care about us they go bonkers when they beat us !

to be fair Leeds fans this season go bonkers anytime we win a game

As a town fan our main rival is whitehaven, but there is a slight rivalry with Barrow and I don't think any town fan would want Bradford to win after the carry on last year and the abuse we received 

53 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

These things change currently City are Liverpool’s main rival I couldn’t care less how United do. 15 years ago Arsenal not Liverpool would’ve been uniteds main rival. In RL Leeds and Bradford would’ve been each other’s main rival now Leeds is probably Cas and Bradford Halifax. 

I disagree, the vast majority of Liverpool fans (those from Liverpool at least) would consider Utd their main rival, it’s all about history not who is good at any point in time. 

Archived