John Drake

Sun 6 Oct: League 1 - Play-off Final: Oldham v Newcastle Thunder KO 3pm

Who will win?  

65 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Oldham
    • Newcastle Thunder

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/10/19 at 14:00

Oldham for me , unscientific i know but they’re the  best team I’ve seen in the flesh, Langtree is a right handful especially but they were an all round very solid outfit 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

play like we did first half few weeks back at oldham when we went 20-6 ahead we will win, play like we did in the second half that day we will lose again, didnt have our hooker keal carlile that day he was injured so missed that game, he was immense against doncaster on sunday, large thunder army support making the journey, i cant wait, come on thunder!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Thunder fan said:

play like we did first half few weeks back at oldham when we went 20-6 ahead we will win, play like we did in the second half that day we will lose again, didnt have our hooker keal carlile that day he was injured so missed that game, he was immense against doncaster on sunday, large thunder army support making the journey, i cant wait, come on thunder!

How many do you reckon will go from Newcastle? 

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Hope Newcastle can do it, they are an expansion club on the up, run an academy, decent ground, growing crowds, be great to see them in the Championship.

Obviously I hope Oldham win and although I do hope that Newcastle eventually might succeed in future years, I just wonder how much all this talk from many people about their potential expansion might be seen to come true.

I really hope it does but there was also similar talk about the game expanding when Fulham began in 1981 or even further back in time when Blackpool Borough were formed in the 1950s, yet neither areas have become real hotbeds of Rugby League. The same could also be said of other regions where teams have been formed in the not too distant past in hope of attracting new interest - Southend, Nottingham, Carlisle, Gateshead, Cardiff, Mansfield, Chorley, Scarborough, Bridgend and even Paris - all of which are no longer with us.

Good luck Newcastle ... but not on Sunday !

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Obviously I hope Oldham win and although I do hope that Newcastle eventually might succeed in future years, I just wonder how much all this talk from many people about their potential expansion might be seen to come true.

I really hope it does but there was also similar talk about the game expanding when Fulham began in 1981 or even further back in time when Blackpool Borough were formed in the 1950s, yet neither areas have become real hotbeds of Rugby League. The same could also be said of other regions where teams have been formed in the not too distant past in hope of attracting new interest - Southend, Nottingham, Carlisle, Gateshead, Cardiff, Mansfield, Chorley, Scarborough, Bridgend and even Paris - all of which are no longer with us.

Good luck Newcastle ... but not on Sunday !

Newcastle seem different because they are focusing on grass roots more than their first team.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Newcastle seem different because they are focusing on grass roots more than their first team.

And here's a tweet from today to help emphasise your point:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Yes they are focusing on grassroots and doing a fantastic job but let's be under no illusion their charge for promotion is based on what they've spent on their squad. Good luck to them though there's lots of great work going on in the North East. 

I have a feeling Oldham at home on their own pitch with a big crowd will sway it. Bridge and Langtree in second row are both brilliant and will cause all sorts of problems for Newcastle.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NERugbyDad said:

And here's a tweet from today to help emphasise your point:

Great work up there but of course there are amateur teams already established in the tradtional RL areas and so not the same scope for new ones whereas the game is comparatively new in areas such as Newcastle and so the establishment of fresh clubs is what those in the heartlands did many years ago.

As I previously said, I hope all goes really well in the North East - it's just a matter of waiting to see how it all develops once the novelty factor wears off. I am only saying that having seen similar dawns of new hope at clubs such as those I mentioned in my previous post.

12 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

The same could also be said of other regions where teams have been formed in the not too distant past in hope of attracting new interest - Southend, Nottingham, Carlisle, Gateshead, Cardiff, Mansfield, Chorley, Scarborough, Bridgend and even Paris - all of which are no longer with us.

Newcastle Thunder are a continuation of Gateshead Thunder (the clue's in the name!), so I don't think Gateshead should be on the list!

Oldham are favourites, of course, but if Thunder defend like they did on Sunday, they have enough threat in attack to have a chance. Hoping for a good game and fingers crossed for a Thunder win.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Mk13 said:

Newcastle Thunder are a continuation of Gateshead Thunder (the clue's in the name!), so I don't think Gateshead should be on the list!

Didn't the original Gateshead club merge with Hull ?

Edited by RL does what Sky says

Really want Thunder.to win this, nothing against Oldham, but would love to see their surge land higher profile games in the Championship

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

Anyone’s game here, just like the other three this weekend. Wow. Having been an adopted Geordie for 10 years I’d love Newcastle to go up, not that I’ve got anything against Oldham who are in this on merit of course. On paper I just think there’s slightly more class in the Thunder’s team. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would normally let my heart rule my head and say an oldham win. This time it's my head still saying oldham. At home, tackling machine in benty,  best 2nd row partnership in Langtree and bridge, old head in crooksy,  Hewitt playing his best of the season, hawkyard indomitable and tight at the back and we finished on more league points than Newcastle, nobby's last game so the team will die for him to finish on a high. Forget all this nonsense about ooooo Newcastle are helping the community,  the yeds are doing just as much.  Come on Oldham, come on Oldham, come on Oldham.  Oops sorry, that last bit was my heart ?

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 1

On 02/10/2019 at 10:56, RL does what Sky says said:

Didn't the original Gateshead club merge with Hull ?

Most involved at the time would call it a takeover, rather than a merger.

I don't think Thunder can be called a novelty when professional rugby league came to the North East in 1999, and has survived some truly torrid times (as of course have many other clubs). I am hoping that, regardless of the result at the weekend, Thunder reaching the final will raise the profile of Rugby League in the NE even further. Who knows, it may not be long before the NE is seen as a heartland and Thunder is referred to as an established club ?

If anyone in the younger age group (who may have missed the takeover and subsequent battles due to being young!) is interested, there is quite a nice potted history of the club, and indeed mention of RL in the North East long before the Thunder came on the scene,  on the Thunder website https://thunderrugby.co.uk/history/