Sun 6 Oct: League 1 - Play-off Final: Oldham v Newcastle Thunder KO 3pm

Who will win?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Oldham
    • Newcastle Thunder

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/10/19 at 14:00

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

play like we did first half few weeks back at oldham when we went 20-6 ahead we will win, play like we did in the second half that day we will lose again, didnt have our hooker keal carlile that day he was injured so missed that game, he was immense against doncaster on sunday, large thunder army support making the journey, i cant wait, come on thunder!

53 minutes ago, Thunder fan said:

play like we did first half few weeks back at oldham when we went 20-6 ahead we will win, play like we did in the second half that day we will lose again, didnt have our hooker keal carlile that day he was injured so missed that game, he was immense against doncaster on sunday, large thunder army support making the journey, i cant wait, come on thunder!

How many do you reckon will go from Newcastle? 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Newcastle seem different because they are focusing on grass roots more than their first team.

Yes they are focusing on grassroots and doing a fantastic job but let's be under no illusion their charge for promotion is based on what they've spent on their squad. Good luck to them though there's lots of great work going on in the North East. 

I have a feeling Oldham at home on their own pitch with a big crowd will sway it. Bridge and Langtree in second row are both brilliant and will cause all sorts of problems for Newcastle.

Really want Thunder.to win this, nothing against Oldham, but would love to see their surge land higher profile games in the Championship

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

Anyone’s game here, just like the other three this weekend. Wow. Having been an adopted Geordie for 10 years I’d love Newcastle to go up, not that I’ve got anything against Oldham who are in this on merit of course. On paper I just think there’s slightly more class in the Thunder’s team. 

I would normally let my heart rule my head and say an oldham win. This time it's my head still saying oldham. At home, tackling machine in benty,  best 2nd row partnership in Langtree and bridge, old head in crooksy,  Hewitt playing his best of the season, hawkyard indomitable and tight at the back and we finished on more league points than Newcastle, nobby's last game so the team will die for him to finish on a high. Forget all this nonsense about ooooo Newcastle are helping the community,  the yeds are doing just as much.  Come on Oldham, come on Oldham, come on Oldham.  Oops sorry, that last bit was my heart ?

9 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Forget all this nonsense about ooooo Newcastle are helping the community,  the yeds are doing just as much.  Come on Oldham, come on Oldham, come on Oldham.  Oops sorry, that last bit was my heart ?

Except they're not, are they? 

Newcastle have consistently run U16 and U19 teams. They have two players in the latest England U19 squad.

Oldham haven't turned anything other than a first team out since 2012-13.

3 hours ago, costa said:

Except they're not, are they? 

Newcastle have consistently run U16 and U19 teams. They have two players in the latest England U19 squad.

Oldham haven't turned anything other than a first team out since 2012-13.

True. But that's nothing to do with helping the 'community'. We did win  the reserves grand final when we last run a 2nd team. If only we had a sugar daddy to help. However we have an amateur set up and pedigree that Newcastle can only dream of, now that's a community. Oh, and btw, we have a player in the Irish senior squad, plus many Oldham born and bred players in Super league. Oh ,and oldham players born and bred playing for us. None of that will matter Sunday though. 

Thunder aren't boasting anything but it's certainly helped raise the profile of rugby league in the area. The NE league is growing all the time, loads more kids playing. Even Hartleppol have a team now! So no matter what happens at the weekend they are doing a great job. Oh and COME ON THUNDER!

Do all schools in the Oldham area play RL then? Do the club have much of a community programme?  As for not a thriving area, I’m going by something one of the presenters in the BBC Manchester RL phone in said recently (I forget his name but he’s from oldham) when he said ‘let’s face it Rugby League is basically dead in oldham’, plus the low crowds at the flagship club in the area. Don’t get me wrong I’d love the game to be big there, and expanding, like i’d love it to be everywhere, but Oldham don’t seem like a particularly progressive club from the outside, whereas NT seem like one of the most progressive in the country. 

I want Oldham area to expand, Newcastle area to expand, Toronto to expand, Castleford to expand, Barrow to expand, France to expand, Norway and Spain.

And I want us all to congratulate everywhere when we do, and each of us to help that expansion in any way we can.

Archived