Sun 6 Oct: NRL Grand Final: Sydney Roosters v Canberra Raiders (Merged Threads)

Who will win?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Sydney Roosters
    • Canberra Raiders

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/10/19 at 08:30

• John Drake changed the title to Sun 6 Oct: NRL Grand Final: Sydney Roosters v Canberra Raiders (KO 9.30am UK TIME) (TV)

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ll be rooting for Canberra but I feel the Roosters just have a bit too much for them. They have most bases covered , strong attacking options and GF winning defence , and they’ve the key advantage of been there seen it done it . Should be a cracker though 

Hope its Canberra but Roosters heavy favourites. I suspect experience will be the difference, particularly in the halves as I can see the packs cancelling each other out.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Not bothered who wins as dont like either team. I feel the Roosters have too much Grand Final experience and players that can create something out of nothing, like Cronk, Cleary, Tedesco and Mitchell. They also have a great defence, as shown in the Storm game last week.  Raiders have the advantage at the dummy half with Hodgson, but the Roosters Halves and Backs are better and not liable to drift in and out of games as much as the Raiders can do.

Its a shame Sutton and Cummiins are reffing. I dont think either have earned it. Checcin for me is the best but seems to be overlooked for the big games. Sutton seems to get the big gigs due to his brother. Last week again he made a number of errors including failing to put Jahrome Hughes in the Bin foor a Professional Foul and also Luke Keary for the swinging arm and hair pull.

1 hour ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Its a shame Sutton and Cummiins are reffing. I dont think either have earned it. Checcin for me is the best but seems to be overlooked for the big games.

Agree with this . The Sutton fascination is beyond me . All I can think of is what you suggest . He makes as many if not more errors than other refs and for all his experience is just as loath to back his decisions . It just seems whatever he does he gets the big gigs, which you’d think would rub a few refs up the wrong way who may rightly think performance should be rewarded . I agree about cecchin but they seem to have it in for him since he broke ranks last year 

I hope for a Canberra victory and there are a few match to relish not least Joey Leilua v Latterel Mitchell who's rugby skills I admire greatly but he's an arrogant so and so and I wouldn't mind seeing him took down a peg or two, John Bateman also playing out wide right next to Joey could make Mitchell's night somewhat harder.

Featherstone ? Oh hang on, wrong thread

I reckon Canberra but it's going to be a very close game I reckon, I've no favour for either team so as long as it's a good game I'm not fussed who wins.

Good luck to both teams

11 hours ago, Mushy said:

The results of the vote on NRL.com is the mirror of ours! Raiders to win (just) for mine, Hodgson to be man of the match. 

I reckon Hodgson won't even be on the pitch at the end of the 80mins, just a feeling about him, hope he has a good game mind.

On 02/10/2019 at 17:55, Harry Stottle said:

Is JWH back from suspension this week, if he is the two best props for mine in world rugby league opposing each other then, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Josh Papalii.

Aye, that could be a battle royale.

On 02/10/2019 at 16:48, Bleep1673 said:

Is this game being streamed anywhere? I know it's on Sky Arena, but I can't get that.

Jokerlivestream is usually fairly reliable, you can try the drakulastream also. 'Catsap' on the english commentary is fairly decent in terms of actually connecting.

The English connection is getting a lot of play among the pundits in Australia (I watch NRL Tonight and NRL360 on my WatchNRL.com stream, which is a great value subscription). That is because Josh Hodgson and John Bateman are highly respected stars in Australia. Elliot Whitehead does not get as much attention as the other two, but everyone still recognises that he is a very good player. Probably Sam Burgess has got  a little more publicity than the Canberra Englishmen this year. But it is interesting to note that although Sam Burgess played second row for most of 2019, it was John Bateman who won the Dally M medal for best second row in the NRL this year.

The Canberra Raiders have several outstanding players -- Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson, John Bateman, Elliot Whitehead, Jack Wighton, Nikola Cotric, Jordan Rapana, Charnze Nicol-Klokstadt and Joseph "BJ" Leilua when he is not breaking the rules.

However the Sydney Roosters have even better players in key positions: James Tedesco (Dally M player of 2019), Latrell Mitchell (Dally M centre of 2019), Joey Manu (NZ rep), Luke Keary (Australian rep) and Cooper Cronk (former State of Origin and Australian rep) in the backs. The Roosters also have a lot of quality in their pack. Former Penrith and Australian half back Greg "Brandy" Alexander (who is an intelligent commentator) estimated last night that the Roosters team was the best he has seen in many years.

So it is hard to see Canberra winning. On the other hand, in the fierce tension of a Grand Final, the Canberra Raiders could cause an upset if certain bounces of the ball go their way. 

Anybody who loves rugby league should be watching this game.

I did think the ( lack of ) interaction between Ricky and Robinson was fascinating . Both at the head to head and teams photo Ricky never even looked anywhere near Robinson’s direction ! To say it was ice cool would be an understatement 

Hoping for a Canberra win purely because of the Brit connection and that they were the team that put the Bunnies out. I also hope that Papalii steamrollers JWH at some point....... I feel the Roosters have an arrogance about them that he portrays better than most of his team mates.

The first 20 minutes is critical for me. The Roosters have been there done that; reigning champions and full of quality players. They will be looking to get a fast start and put the game beyond the Raiders before they know what's hit them.

If the Raiders are in the game after 20 their confidence will grow.

Despite that, while the two teams are fairly every matched but the Roosters bench looks stronger. I am hoping for a Raiders win because of the English connection but I think the Roosters will be too strong. Just hoping for a tough close game and not a blow out.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

So heartbreaking. We’re all with you Josh!

"I want to win the grand final with my wife and kids in the stands and Nathan looking down over his little brother, proud as ever," he wrote.

“Then I'll take the trophy back to England where he is laid to rest, crack open a beer, sit there with him and say, 'I did it, mate.'

"I promised myself I would do everything in my power to make it a reality."

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/grand-final-canberra-raiders-josh-hodgson-reveals-motivation-from-brother/9ac996bf-8ac6-4c7c-a2cf-26d59e2ccc86

Archived