Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bearman

Salford, a flash in the pan?

Recommended Posts

Blinky flip. A little over 12 hours since they appeared in the Grand Final, and the Salford Death Notice 2020 thread starts. Every silver lining has a cloud. That could be the Rugby League motto.

Let's be honest, all Salford's best players leave, or, more accurately, the players that leave Salford are de facto labelled "their best players" whether they are or not. (I remember someone somewhere describing Todd Carney as "one of their best players" when he left. Christ.) Jackson Hastings will obviously  be nigh on impossible to replace. Most of the other players leaving will be less difficult to replace. One of the players leaving will lead to Salford's overall error rate being halved.

They've announced what? Seven is it? signings so far, many of whom are at least as good as the players they are replacing. There are, I believe, at least three more to come. On top of that there is one factor that the premature eulogists might have forgotten: Salford had a budget for 2020, and that budget didn't include money from the play-offs and Grand Final. From someone inside the club, that is a sum in excess of £300,000.

Let's see what happens eh?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

Blinky flip. A little over 12 hours since they appeared in the Grand Final, and the Salford Death Notice 2020 thread starts. Every silver lining has a cloud. That could be the Rugby League motto.

Let's be honest, all Salford's best players leave, or, more accurately, the players that leave Salford are de facto labelled "their best players" whether they are or not. (I remember someone somewhere describing Todd Carney as "one of their best players" when he left. Christ.) Jackson Hastings will obviously  be nigh on impossible to replace. Most of the other players leaving will be less difficult to replace. One of the players leaving will lead to Salford's overall error rate being halved.

They've announced what? Seven is it? signings so far, many of whom are at least as good as the players they are replacing. There are, I believe, at least three more to come. On top of that there is one factor that the premature eulogists might have forgotten: Salford had a budget for 2020, and that budget didn't include money from the play-offs and Grand Final. From someone inside the club, that is a sum in excess of £300,000.

Let's see what happens eh?

Or you could just join in what was a reasonable discussion thread?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes you wonder whether the likes of Hastings, Jones and Bibby would have chosen to leave, had they known when they were signing elsewhere,  that they would finish the league in 3rd place and be in the GF with Salford?

I'm not privy to the financial situation at Salford, but I would assume it isn't great, but surely with the prize money they will have amassed this year, given how they finished, they could have been close to matching the salaries of the 3 departing players? Assuming of course, that money was the reason they have departed. 

I know it likely that this has been discussed in the past, but surely there should be a rule to prevent any player movements until after the season has ended?

I understand the need for players to secure their future etc., but it just doesn't really seem right that after the magnificent achievements, Salford do not have the option of keeping hold of their better players and build on it.

It made me wonder what would have happened at Featherstone too. If they had they won the CH GF against Toronto, given that they had already signed the majority of the squad for next season, by the time the GF was being played. Would the contracts they had signed become null and void had they got promoted? With no disrespect for Fev or the players, but the current squad isn't good enough to stay up SL and would need significant improvement.   

Edited by DOGFATHER
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will they reach another GF in the next few seasons? No I would say that's unlikely.

But on the back of this season I hope that they can build on the exposure that they have had, get some more bums on seats and enjoy a period of stability. Competing for the playoff spots.

I see no reason why they can't. I think Watson is a top coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great forum. I took my seven year old son to both of our first Rugby League games on Saturday. We loved it, even if we had no clue what was going on. I will be getting my Salford season ticket this week for us both. I heard a few families talking about getting tickets after the game so hopefully this isnt some flash in the pan.

We have in the past been football fans, but our club was wound up this summer, so we had nowhere to go. Kinda stumbled on the Grand Final game and tickets appeared reasonable so we gave it a go.

Any links to rules or good articles about RL would be welcomed. Or i could just do what the old fella next to me told me to do and yell Disgrace at the referee all game! haha 

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HolmesChapelRedDevil said:

Great forum. I took my seven year old son to both of our first Rugby League games on Saturday. We loved it, even if we had no clue what was going on. I will be getting my Salford season ticket this week for us both. I heard a few families talking about getting tickets after the game so hopefully this isnt some flash in the pan.

We have in the past been football fans, but our club was wound up this summer, so we had nowhere to go. Kinda stumbled on the Grand Final game and tickets appeared reasonable so we gave it a go.

Any links to rules or good articles about RL would be welcomed. Or i could just do what the old fella next to me told me to do and yell Disgrace at the referee all game! haha 

Are you a Bury fan? If so commiserations, must be hard to deal with.

Anyway the good news is, RL is superb and very welcoming to new fans. If you listen to podcasts there are a number of good ones that aren’t really niche;

BBC 5 live RL podcast

Total Rugby League

The Final Hooter (my favourite one)

Out of Your League (not ideal for your 7 year old). 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HolmesChapelRedDevil said:

Great forum. I took my seven year old son to both of our first Rugby League games on Saturday. We loved it, even if we had no clue what was going on. I will be getting my Salford season ticket this week for us both. I heard a few families talking about getting tickets after the game so hopefully this isnt some flash in the pan.

We have in the past been football fans, but our club was wound up this summer, so we had nowhere to go. Kinda stumbled on the Grand Final game and tickets appeared reasonable so we gave it a go.

Any links to rules or good articles about RL would be welcomed. Or i could just do what the old fella next to me told me to do and yell Disgrace at the referee all game! haha 

A couple of points that may be of use at the AJ Bell stadium.

The West Stand is ideal for families, the view of the match is very good and the fans sit down all the time apart from when we score a try, or if we look like scoring one.

The shouts to the referee though are a little more original than Disgrace.

During the season Radio Manchester cover most if not all of our matches and the have  a dedicated Rugby League hour each Thursday.

The League Express is a good read every Monday.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the fold. You usually find some know it all sat near you at a game. Dont listen to the shouters. Most fans will explain the rules. Mightbe worth a visit to the rfl site to learn the signals of the refs

 If you can count to 6 you will be able to follow although someimes its 7.

 

Edited by Red Willow
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:14, Hammerless Nail said:

Blinky flip. A little over 12 hours since they appeared in the Grand Final, and the Salford Death Notice 2020 thread starts. Every silver lining has a cloud. That could be the Rugby League motto.

Let's be honest, all Salford's best players leave, or, more accurately, the players that leave Salford are de facto labelled "their best players" whether they are or not. (I remember someone somewhere describing Todd Carney as "one of their best players" when he left. Christ.) Jackson Hastings will obviously  be nigh on impossible to replace. Most of the other players leaving will be less difficult to replace. One of the players leaving will lead to Salford's overall error rate being halved.

They've announced what? Seven is it? signings so far, many of whom are at least as good as the players they are replacing. There are, I believe, at least three more to come. On top of that there is one factor that the premature eulogists might have forgotten: Salford had a budget for 2020, and that budget didn't include money from the play-offs and Grand Final. From someone inside the club, that is a sum in excess of £300,000.

Let's see what happens eh?

every silver lining has a cloud ? Glad to see you quoting TV 's greatest anti hero.

 

avon_term200px.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, it would be disingenuous to make losing three of their best players this season won’t have a massive impact, but it’s certainly not the doom and gloom some are predicting. 

K Brown will be solid if maybe not spectacular - same can probably be said for Sarginson. They obviously need to bring in a couple more, but then after that they still have the same strong nucleus they had this year. Evalds, Lussick, Mossop, Dudson and in the latter part of the year Lolohea will all still be there and most importantly so will Ian Watson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

As others have said, it would be disingenuous to make losing three of their best players this season won’t have a massive impact, but it’s certainly not the doom and gloom some are predicting. 

K Brown will be solid if maybe not spectacular - same can probably be said for Sarginson. They obviously need to bring in a couple more, but then after that they still have the same strong nucleus they had this year. Evalds, Lussick, Mossop, Dudson and in the latter part of the year Lolohea will all still be there and most importantly so will Ian Watson. 

But will the confidence remain ? , Sometimes ' belief ' in a teammate can carry a whole squad to higher things , when ' Woody ' was in the Leigh team they believed they could beat anybody , and performed accordingly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GUBRATS said:

But will the confidence remain ? , Sometimes ' belief ' in a teammate can carry a whole squad to higher things , when ' Woody ' was in the Leigh team they believed they could beat anybody , and performed accordingly 

I agree - confidence in a team is more important than anything 1,2 or 3 star players can bring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could ask the question of Jones, whether he will be the same player without Hastings to feed him. he plays just off Jacko who is top assists.

Bibby can be replaced, I like him but he isn't in the top 3 players at Salford.

I think in all 13 players are leaving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/10/2019 at 16:12, HolmesChapelRedDevil said:

Great forum. I took my seven year old son to both of our first Rugby League games on Saturday. We loved it, even if we had no clue what was going on. I will be getting my Salford season ticket this week for us both. I heard a few families talking about getting tickets after the game so hopefully this isnt some flash in the pan.

We have in the past been football fans, but our club was wound up this summer, so we had nowhere to go. Kinda stumbled on the Grand Final game and tickets appeared reasonable so we gave it a go.

Any links to rules or good articles about RL would be welcomed. Or i could just do what the old fella next to me told me to do and yell Disgrace at the referee all game! haha 

Welcome.. great to have you on board, the more the merrier.

There are some good videos here explaining the rules (dont look at the ones on Rugby union that will just confuse).. there are some other videos to get your teeth stuck into as well with some "big hit" videos etc... careful though I can get lost in you tube and Rugby videos for hours on end..

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rugby+league+rules

Edited by RP London
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

3 good signings from London in Yates,Kear & Williams.

Yep. None are Jackson Hastings, but they all have shown themselves to be able to play SL.

Time for a Broncos flash in the pan thread?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dixiedean said:

Yep. None are Jackson Hastings, but they all have shown themselves to be able to play SL.

Time for a Broncos flash in the pan thread?

Sounds like a topic worth pursuing. A title like “London Fire Sale” would get the punters commenting.


My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/10/2019 at 11:43, Hullfan said:

They'll be fighting relegation next season 

Rubbish 

bet you 50p they top four

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...