Sign in to follow this  
Bedfordshire Bronco

Which current sportsmen would you choose to give league....

Straight off the top of my head. George Kittle from the San Francisco 49ers. 

Plays a sport with a comparative skill set. Big, strong, quick, good hands. He's a very good blocker so presumably could learn to be a good defender too. Seems like a good guy to have around the dressing room as well. 

• Like 1

Any Premiership footballer ....let them see what it is really like to be tackled hard (and also expect them to immediately get up and play on instead of rolling around on the floor - as well as not moaning at every decision against them by the referee).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

Ben Stokes (stand off, for attitude).

Plus he could probably pick up a few playing tips from his old man.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

I think Darts player Mervyn King might enjoy the experience of being hated by fewer people if he became a RL referee...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Plus he could probably pick up a few playing tips from his old man.

And hes a marra so RL is in his blood.

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

And hes a marra so RL is in his blood.

50% Marra by volume. But the other half's Kiwi, so that's good too.

13 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

Tyreek Hill on the wing would be quite a sight. 

And what about Ben Stokes in the centres? 

I was going to say Tyreek Hill, nobody would catch him. I’d like to see Derrick Henry give it a go too. 

13 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Any Premiership footballer ....let them see what it is really like to be tackled hard (and also expect them to immediately get up and play on instead of rolling around on the floor - as well as not moaning at every decision against them by the referee).

I suspect plenty of them could spend a year bulking up and training and become wingers... Championship level even within avyear

13 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I think Darts player Mervyn King might enjoy the experience of being hated by fewer people if he became a RL referee...

Gerwen Price ... back to where it started 

THe problem with NFL players is the switch from short burst explosive tasks to a stamina based game. I remember when Dwayne Chambers gave it a go, his speed and power were obvious but he was done after 5mins.

Im not saying that there arent any who couldnt make it, there are almost certainly plenty who can but it probably wouldnt be superstars.

Someone like Tyreek Hill would need to be a fullback because he would get bombed constantly at only 5"8. I think Jakeem Grant would be great to watch returning bombs as well if he could be taught how to tackle.

Running backs are a funny one as there isnt a position they could really fit in. Obviously destructive runners but you couldnt play them in the middle because they dont defend.

I think you are more likely to get some value from defensive players, linemen are obviously too big but linebackers play a lot of snaps, make a lot of tackles and are pretty much impact prop size (6"1-6"4, 110kgs to 120kgs), Someone like Kuechly

Wide Receivers and Cornerbacks and Safeties would probably do some good out wide.

Its a bit of a cheat, but pretty much all the Fijian 7s players look like great impact league second rowers.

16 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Unfortunately, the shelf life of League fans deriding Premiership Football for player feigning injuries, berating the referee and conning decisions from ref's has well and truly expired.  That type of behaviour is firmly embedded in our game now.

• Like 3

I would have loved to see Aussie Rules player Nick Davis have a shot at league. He was a star for the Sydney Swans but growing up in Sydney has a strong RL background.

He was considering a move to RL mid career but stayed with Aussie Rules and went on to win a premiership.

A great talent now retired so, sadly we will never get the chance to see him have a crack at NRL level.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

THe problem with NFL players is the switch from short burst explosive tasks to a stamina based game. I remember when Dwayne Chambers gave it a go, his speed and power were obvious but he was done after 5mins.

Im not saying that there arent any who couldnt make it, there are almost certainly plenty who can but it probably wouldnt be superstars.

Someone like Tyreek Hill would need to be a fullback because he would get bombed constantly at only 5"8. I think Jakeem Grant would be great to watch returning bombs as well if he could be taught how to tackle.

Running backs are a funny one as there isnt a position they could really fit in. Obviously destructive runners but you couldnt play them in the middle because they dont defend.

I think you are more likely to get some value from defensive players, linemen are obviously too big but linebackers play a lot of snaps, make a lot of tackles and are pretty much impact prop size (6"1-6"4, 110kgs to 120kgs), Someone like Kuechly

Wide Receivers and Cornerbacks and Safeties would probably do some good out wide.

Its a bit of a cheat, but pretty much all the Fijian 7s players look like great impact league second rowers.

I think the stamina thing is a bit overplayed. Yes they would all have to work on their stamina, but there is a big difference between Chambers and most NFL players. These guys are involved in a lot of snaps and cover a lot of ground during a game, and they are receiving contact on most plays. 

I think if you play linebacker, tight end or full back in the NFL you probably have all the attributes needed to be a very good forward in RL. Some of the more athletic defensive ends would do really well too. Handling would be the main thing to be worked on. The O line guys are just too big and immobile. Wide receivers and defensive backs would depend on the player, but some would be very exciting on the wings.

• Like 2

As a sport we have access to a very small pool of athletic talent. The situation in the UK is obvious but even Australia, despite the popularity of the code, has a relatively small population. 

If Rugby League could dip into the talent pool in the US Collegiate system then there would be some phenomenal players unearthed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Unfortunately, the shelf life of League fans deriding Premiership Football for player feigning injuries, berating the referee and conning decisions from ref's has well and truly expired.  That type of behaviour is firmly embedded in our game now.

Always has been every single scrum half I ever played with new exactly when to stay down and feign injury to get a defender in trouble. 

1 hour ago, MZH said:

I think the stamina thing is a bit overplayed. Yes they would all have to work on their stamina, but there is a big difference between Chambers and most NFL players. These guys are involved in a lot of snaps and cover a lot of ground during a game, and they are receiving contact on most plays. 

I think if you play linebacker, tight end or full back in the NFL you probably have all the attributes needed to be a very good forward in RL. Some of the more athletic defensive ends would do really well too. Handling would be the main thing to be worked on. The O line guys are just too big and immobile. Wide receivers and defensive backs would depend on the player, but some would be very exciting on the wings.

I think the stamina thing is a big thing because it takes away their attributes. It's not just that you have to be powerful, you have to be powerful maybe 20 times in 10mins. That's just not something NFL players have to do now. 

I'm not saying they couldnt retrain to do it, but doing so would take away some of their attributes. Especially in the middle.

Personally I think defensive backs would be the most likely to make the transition

19 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

... a go and why? 

From any sport except union

Would he get to SL level from scratch? Championship+

If they were a bit younger (both are 32 now) and not financially set from their current/former endeavours, former star NCAA quarterbacks Tim Tebow and Colin Kaepernick.  Both are big, strong, mobile men who are adept at spotting the openings in a defence and getting the ball where it needs to go to exploit those openings (Tebow especially so) so they'd be good as acting halfbacks, possibly from a position such as loose forward.  If they also wrestled when they were in high school, they might have transferable defensive skills already too.

When Doug Flutie (a shorter and lighter equivalent of Tebow and Kaepernick more like Geoff Toovey and Rob Burrow) was young enough, he'd have made a great RL player too.

Edited by Big Picture

9 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I suspect plenty of them could spend a year bulking up and training and become wingers... Championship level even within avyear

They would need to change their attitude as to how they play a game though .... no feigning injury and keeping their mouths shut when a decision is against them.

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

How often do we see a RL player falling down to the ground when hardly touched in the hope of stopping play but then getting up and running again once his team get the ball back ? And how often players surrounding the referee or aggressively shouting at them ?