John Drake

The General 'Toronto Wolfpack' Discussion Thread

Gigot, if played at full back or in the halves, could definitely lift the performance level of Toronto.

Even at centre Gigot would improve the team, but not as much as he can if he is played at full back or in the halves.

Having said that, I think that Toronto urgently needs to find a couple of good forwards if it is to avoid being in a relegation avoidance struggle, and obviously if it wants to be competitive for a top 5 spot. Sam Lisone at the New Zealand Warriors is on the market (the Warriors want to release him) and he would be a great signing for Toronto.

Edited by Manfred Mann

7 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I’m already looking forward to Phil Clarke pronouncing his name incorrectly 😁

God help us. Can't Sky pay to find Phil Clarke a speech therapist?

It's easy- give him a 2 year contract and pay him what ever they have got left on your cap this season - say £10k and then have a clear out next and pay him £390,000 next season - So a 2 year £400k deal in reality.

20 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Gigiot, if played at full back or in the halves, could definitely lift the performance level of Toronto.

Even at centre Gigot would improve the team, but not as much as he can if he is played at full back or in the halves.

Having said that, I think that Toronto urgently needs to find a couple of good forwards if it is to avoid being in a relegation avoidance struggle, and obviously if it wants to be competitive for a top 5 spot. Sam Lisone at the New Zealand Warriors is on the market (the Warriors want to release him) and he would be a great signing for Toronto.

Will Lisone play for free as well?

The situation is straight forward and simple to me, Toronto are basically up to the salary cap. They can not afford to sign any new players to stay within the cap. Even if they cancel contracts they still have to pay them off which still counts on the salary cap.They had the off season to make sure they had enough players to compete in S.L.They failed to do this simply to sign players that would put them up to the limit.At some stage during this season I would expect S.L. to step into this situation, either give them dispensation or let them go over the cap, which in all probability is a non starter.Whether they should have sorted this out before the season started is neither here nor there. They did not so have nobody else to blame but themselves.

• Like 2

Can’t wait to see what’s in this for Gigot. Presumably Toronto have found a way to make it worth his while once the four weeks is up.

3 minutes ago, fevtom said:

Can’t wait to see what’s in this for Gigot. Presumably Toronto have found a way to make it worth his while once the four weeks is up.

All the poutine he can eat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, fevtom said:

He’s trying to earn a new contract, whether that is with Toronto Wolfpack or elsewhere. He’s unemployed without one, that is what’s in it for Gigot.

36 minutes ago, LR23 said:

All the poutine he can eat.

Isn’t that just cheesy chips and gravy? I never realised I was so cultured in the kebab shop at 3am!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Isn't it just like an unpaid internship. How can the RFL stop it?

Great signing for TWP. On his day a genuine match winner.

8 minutes ago, fevtom said:

Isn’t that just cheesy chips and gravy? I never realised I was so cultured in the kebab shop at 3am!

Ah, the Manx national dish.

12 minutes ago, fevtom said:

Not the same. Must have cheese curds or it’s ######. I miss a good poutine. 

I don't know why there is all this affectionate nostalgia for Pootang/Poutine.  Wasn't it his regime that banned the great game in France during WW2?

1 minute ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I don't know why there is all this affectionate nostalgia for Pootang/Poutine.  Wasn't it his regime that banned the great game in France during WW2?

On reflection, I may have got that a teeny bit wrong.

• Haha 1

It's easy for established SL teams to say Toronto have mismanaged the salary cap. The truth is that to get promoted they had to over pay players to get them to play in the Championship. Even with that, they failed in their first MPG and were losing their second promotion final with less than 20 mins to go. They literally did just enough to get promoted, they couldn't manage their cap over several years like other teams in SL. The comparison is unfair.

Once they establish themselves, they will be able to manage the cap like other teams. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Because there’s a specific rule allowing it. 

I know that. The point you seem to have missed, is if the cap is full come season 3! How do you accommodate that player/players?

15 minutes ago, ojx said:

It's easy for established SL teams to say Toronto have mismanaged the salary cap. The truth is that to get promoted they had to over pay players to get them to play in the Championship. Even with that, they failed in their first MPG and were losing their second promotion final with less than 20 mins to go. They literally did just enough to get promoted, they couldn't manage their cap over several years like other teams in SL. The comparison is unfair.

Once they establish themselves, they will be able to manage the cap like other teams. 

You can’t buy a team.. End of.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SL17 said:

You can’t buy a team.. End of.

You can't get easily promoted while managing the "cap". Toronto will fine. It's a shame that SL limits it's players earning ability with such a low salary cap.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheReaper said:

I don't think how TWP got those costs covered really matters, it's that the fact that it's been put on them. If they didn't have that sponsorship, would the other clubs suddenly be offering to pay their own way? I don't think so. 

Why turn a scenario around now? TWP was based on, no expenditure to other clubs.

We’ll foot the bill.

Funny how things change in time.

3 minutes ago, ojx said:

You can't get easily promoted while managing the "cap". Toronto will fine. It's a shame that SL limits it's players earning ability with such a low salary cap.

Leigh, Broncos and KR have done it whilst TWP have been in existence.

How many players did you have in L1 and Championship?