coronavirus

2 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Asking for a friend, right?

If I don't know what it is , why would I ask , be aware my phone doesn't have a camera on it , this is the only social media I use , so I am very unlikely to be able to attain a VPN even if I wanted one , I actually managed to lose my emoticons yesterday , for some reason I had ' GIFs ' instead , loads of stupid little films , managed to get my emoticons back thankfully , I can at least understand them 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The WHO have given six markers, I believe. I haven't seen an equivalent from the government but I'm prepared to admit I've missed it.

you may have missed it or given the amount of information around covid it can easily be overlooked.  especially if it doesn't give media a sensational headline.   ,

may have been 5 but then they may have included the equiv 6 of who... as that was a question that came up when Rabb announced them.. some markers included a couple of things.

1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

Interesting research to keep an eye on as the relaxing of lockdown remains a hot topic.

https://today.rtl.lu/news/science-and-environment/a/1498185.html?fbclid=IwAR2UBuorUbk49v38DRmnzoB4nzpca9PJYYFhbhdmWdFSJq5lpDz6NjfsSIs

We still do not have much understanding of how flu is transmitted. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

17 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

We still do not have much understanding of how flu is transmitted. 

Without much more information on if, and when, what was swabbed had last been touched by an infected person not really very informative. His pronouncements about the economy might also cause me to want to be more cautious about his conclusions.

54 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

If I don't know what it is , why would I ask , be aware my phone doesn't have a camera on it , this is the only social media I use , so I am very unlikely to be able to attain a VPN even if I wanted one , I actually managed to lose my emoticons yesterday , for some reason I had ' GIFs ' instead , loads of stupid little films , managed to get my emoticons back thankfully , I can at least understand them 

I'm with you on this.  I got lost with technology about ten years ago although I managed to successfully deal with my first Skype conference yesterday.  I was quite chuffed I didn't cut everyone off and I actually managed to stay audio rather than go visual (I didn't want everyone to see me in my PJs while watching Homes Under the Hammer).

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Then that would be a good place to start with answering it. But, again, this is moving into a political response.

Like I say, it's not unreasonable to expect to know what markers (infection level?, fatality level?, recovered level?, global knowledge of the condition?, specific knowledge of the condition in the UK?) they would be looking for; how much they might be led by what's happening in countries with some level of easing; whether they are considering some restrictions based on geography/vulnerability that might not apply to all ... 

... for starters.

Just throwing their hands up and going, "Well, what would you be doing?" That's not good enough. And it's especially not good enough when combined with the apparent ongoing failure to get on top of the practical things it should be more straightforward to get on top of, in spite of what we or don't know about the virus.

But we know the markers.  They were listed during the press conference last night.  There are five of them.

We learned on today's press conference that the government is working already on the various options, watching what is happening in other countries.

The government is bound to be working on lockdown release.  They just don't want to talk about it in case people let go too soon and we tip back into a rapid increase in infections again.  As the scientists and medics are all saying: we are at a very delicate time in the pandemic cycle.  It could go either way just now; which way it goes depends on us maintaining the lockdown.

This is a good story (taken from the Gruniad here ) :  

In more positive news, inmates at HMP Guys Marsh in Dorset are sewing 500 items for nurses at Yeovil hospital, following donations of materials and sewing machines from local villagers.

In need of a project for the prisoners, who are under even stricter confinement than usual due to lockdown and physical distancing measures, and wanting to help the NHS, the prison contacted Yeovil hospital to ask what they needed. Delighted, the hospital asked for 500 items including nurses scrubs and laundry bags.

With there being only one sewing machine between the men, the local community was called upon to get involved with the project. People from the village of Marnhull donated several machines and local businesses donated fabric in the form of spare duvets and sheets to get the initiative started.

The Honesty Jar, a local second-hand share shop, also set up a marquee outside the store – of course closed during lockdown – so people could help themselves to fabric which was then delivered to the men at Guys Marsh.

One thing I think people miss is the sheer quantity of PPE that is used, even when used as sparingly as possible.

English hospitals alone will use 140,000-180,000 gowns this weekend due to COVID-19, surgery and other non-COVID essential uses. London alone will use around 30,000. As of last night, there were 10,000 left in London and other care settings are being stripped of theirs to keep the hospitals in bare minimums even with reuse.

400,000 are due to arrive tomorrow from Turkey, that's 3-ish days of stock and won't fill supply rooms.

It's only when you see numbers like that that you really get that this is a mass industrial scale problem.

And, no, those numbers are in no way an exaggeration. That's minimum possible clinicians seeing patients while keeping them safe.

THEN you have to add in the non-hospital use which is at least as much, albeit different stuff to the hospital standard kit. It's truly massive numbers of use in a week.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Things seem to be going backwards in Japan -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52336388

Doctors in Japan have warned that the country's medical system could collapse amid a wave of new coronavirus cases.

Emergency rooms have been unable to treat some patients with serious health conditions due to the extra burden caused by the virus, officials say.

One ambulance carrying a patient with coronavirus symptoms was turned away by 80 hospitals before he could be seen.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Not far off a normal day here in Rovrum.... this is daft.

Either we're in or we're out. What we have now is a half ar sed existence.

Shut us down properly.... 

We need to be careful what we wish for Robin. But I guarantee it wasn't like a normal day and I wasn't in your town. Saturday in any town would see the shops packed, sport happening, pubs full etc. Towns are very different today. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

We need to be careful what we wish for Robin. But I guarantee it wasn't like a normal day and I wasn't in your town. Saturday in any town would see the shops packed, sport happening, pubs full etc. Towns are very different today. 

It was the same here. Plenty out and playing sport in the park, but normally it would be rammed. 

There were people out on Friday, but the bars were shut. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

7 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

I've just taken the opportunity to get some exercise by walking around York city centre. It is pretty much deserted. And why would it not be, everything is shut.

Yeah I just had a walk up to Edinburgh Castle and there was a small handful of people along there and the Royal Mile which would usually see thousands and thousands of people milling round. 

All bars, restaurants, most shops, hotels etc. Closed 

18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Rovrum isn't a pleasant town and its rarely as you describe. I had to nip to pharmacy and as I drove through town there were many folks milling about.... kids and families in groups in the park. I live across from a park and that too has been almost at normal occupancy...

I despair. The lock down is half ar sed and not policed anywhere near proactively enough if we are to combat this virus. Its relying on voluntary compliance and "woolly" conditions as to what lock down means.

21 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Rovrum isn't a pleasant town and its rarely as you describe. I had to nip to pharmacy and as I drove through town there were many folks milling about.... kids and families in groups in the park. I live across from a park and that too has been almost at normal occupancy...

I despair. The lock down is half ar sed and not policed anywhere near proactively enough if we are to combat this virus. Its relying on voluntary compliance and "woolly" conditions as to what lock down means.

I drove through Rov on Friday. I followed a couple of police cars through the centre and out towards Conisbrough; they seemed happy enough for there to be quite a few pedestrians wandering about at 1 in the morning. I half expected to be stopped myself but wasn't.

38 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Is it just me or is my brown ( cans,bottles and plastics ) bin filling up much quicker ATM ? ?

Ours has looked the skip behind our local for the last three weeks.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

14 minutes ago, JohnM said:

What day did the figures announced today cover? 

Only got the England breakdown as there isn't a UK breakdown provided.

NHS England has announced 784 more deaths of people who tested positive for Covid-19, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospitals in England to 13,918.

Of the 784 new deaths announced on Saturday:
- 150 occurred on 17 April.
- 320 occurred on 16 April.
- 101 occurred on 15 April.

The figures also show 187 of the deaths took place between 1 and 14 April, and the remaining 26 deaths occurred in March, with the earliest new death taking place on 14 March.

18 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Isn't it the NHS which is supposed to be responsible for ordering PPE for example?  That's what I was led to believe anyway.  

Ish

There are 2 things re PPE (trying to be as apolitical as possible noting the thread we are on)

1. The NHS should have day to day supplies, a reduction in budgets over the past couple of decades means that there has been a reduction in stocks as it is seen as sunk capital - why have 10m masks sat n warehouses if you could have 500k - market economy and just in time ordering etc etc

2. Strategic reserves - there have been various exercises and studies but despite what they have shown there does not appear to have been the creation/upkeep of strategic reserves of kit like this - I "guess" there have always been things seeen as more important than spending gvt cash on filling a warehouse with "stuff" that might never be used. 

The storing of "things" for emergencies has been argued over since the 50's - https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/1951-03-15/debates/a64aebe3-382f-48f0-8c89-e6ff2f23c53b/EmergencyFoodReserves it is always something that is seen as being able to be left until tomorrow

from http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=1480

(The following foods were held in the 1980s):
Flour - This was a special high protein, low moisture content flour which was turned over every 4-5 years.
Yeast - Packed in tins with an expected life of 10 years.
Sugar - Held in 56 lb sacks and turned over if it started to deteriorate.
Fat - Known as `Ministry Marge' with an expected shelf life of 20 years.
Biscuits - Sweet biscuits in large tins apparently baked in the 1960s.)
Depending on source it was estimated the UK food reserves were between 60 and 90 days

For those who are convinced the lockdown is still justified and will be for a while, why not skip onto the next post. Trust me. Just don’t, just thank me and move on. 

For those who think that it needs to end, or  think it’s all a bit of a con and overly damaging the country. Here is the latest gold standard report on outcomes from critical care in England, Wales and NI. Start on p16, table 7 that compares outcomes for COVID-19 vs a normal viral pneumonia that requires critical care. Table 8 (p19) covers outcomes for those on ventilators vs others. Table 10 (p21) covers death percentages by age.

If you read that and STILL think the lockdown is a bit much then you really need help. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

43 minutes ago, ckn said:

For those who are convinced the lockdown is still justified and will be for a while, why not skip onto the next post. Trust me. Just don’t, just thank me and move on. 

For those who think that it needs to end, or  think it’s all a bit of a con and overly damaging the country. Here is the latest gold standard report on outcomes from critical care in England, Wales and NI. Start on p16, table 7 that compares outcomes for COVID-19 vs a normal viral pneumonia that requires critical care. Table 8 (p19) covers outcomes for those on ventilators vs others. Table 10 (p21) covers death percentages by age.

If you read that and STILL think the lockdown is a bit much then you really need help. 

Phah, stop using facts to ruin good conspiracy theories.

This is typical of the white coat wearing lizards that are out to control our minds by pedaling science and facts, we can see through you, Karen knows best, she went to school once, I mean just the once.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

51 minutes ago, ckn said:

Does anyone on here think that the lockdown is a 'bit much' (I mean in any sense other than it is hard work to keep staying indoors)?

Archived