coronavirus

8 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Does anyone on here think that the lockdown is a 'bit much' (I mean in any sense other than it is hard work to keep staying indoors)?

No, it is still pretty lenient and easy to live with, compared to some other countries.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Does anyone on here think that the lockdown is a 'bit much' (I mean in any sense other than it is hard work to keep staying indoors)?

Bryan C? 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

5 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Rovrum isn't a pleasant town and its rarely as you describe. I had to nip to pharmacy and as I drove through town there were many folks milling about.... kids and families in groups in the park. I live across from a park and that too has been almost at normal occupancy...

I despair. The lock down is half ar sed and not policed anywhere near proactively enough if we are to combat this virus. Its relying on voluntary compliance and "woolly" conditions as to what lock down means.

I accept that mate. But the pubs were empty. The shopping precincts deserted. Restaurants closed. 

Parks should be busier than normal, people are not going to the gym, not walking to work etc.. 

6 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I believe @Dave T made the same point, it is a few people and some newspapers who are giving the impression of a mass movement against the lockdown.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

I believe @Dave T made the same point, it is a few people and some newspapers who are giving the impression of a mass movement against the lockdown.

That's right, in my view, against a faint impression that all lockdowns are the same, policed in the same way. 

I think that the enforcement practices in France would not be accepted here. Indeed, the police have more or less said that by their proclamations of policing by consent. 

I expect that enforcement and conditions in Spain, Italy are much more severe than here, too. 

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

That's right, in my view, against a faint impression that all lockdowns are the same, policed in the same way.

It is a big segweg, but there are articles today warning that there might be no effective vaccine ever.

Again, no shade of grey and I very much doubt this is the actual information the journalists got. A vaccine will be here sooner or later, but as humans vary, it will not be 100% effective. Eventually a vaccine will be ready for everyone, which is to get the herd immunity, but that is to lower rather than eliminate the transmission rate. Nothing has changed, but they get two big simple stories rather than one vague one.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

44 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It is a big segweg, but there are articles today warning that there might be no effective vaccine ever.

Again, no shade of grey and I very much doubt this is the actual information the journalists got. A vaccine will be here sooner or later, but as humans vary, it will not be 100% effective. Eventually a vaccine will be ready for everyone, which is to get the herd immunity, but that is to lower rather than eliminate the transmission rate. Nothing has changed, but they get two big simple stories rather than one vague one.

When you think of the consequences of that and contact sports then you wonder when, or if, the likes of a rugby game in a cramped stadium will be seen again.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

When you think of the consequences of that and contact sports then you wonder when, or if, the likes of a rugby game in a cramped stadium will be seen again.

We will, I am sure. In a few years, this disease might disappear to a childhood sniffle. People living

in London seems (I don’t know) to be as big a risk as major events  

My understanding of where the UK was in 2008 and where it is now has been an eye opener though.  Pandemic preparedness was clearly sacrificed during austerity. Whether that was sensible is a judgment call for another thread. 

2 minutes ago, silverback said:

Sister in laws just rang,old lad next door as gone in hospital this morning with covid 19, But hes not been out for 5 weeks,and had no visitors.?

That's a strange one.  I wonder if he's had a delivery of something and the person delivering the something has been carrying the infection?

Another example of that kind of spread is the US navy ship that had an outbreak on it but apparently it hadn't docked anywhere for weeks.

7 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

That's a strange one.  I wonder if he's had a delivery of something and the person delivering the something has been carrying the infection?

Another example of that kind of spread is the US navy ship that had an outbreak on it but apparently it hadn't docked anywhere for weeks.

Had either example got a 5g mobile phone or a windows PC?

23 minutes ago, Bearman said:

This is from fb seems apt for those looking for a quick fix

2A241E04-E07D-478A-81EC-420701AB7900.jpeg

It is a worrying time for many American cities in particular.

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

It is a worrying time for many American cities in particular.

Especially with the 14 day (ish) incubation, rather than a couple of days.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived