Jump to content

Recommended Posts


  • Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... after 66 days in ICU my sister's fella who was described as being as near to death as can be without dying.... has made it. He's home. Half the fella he was.... and the virus has ravaged his l

I'm not putting up with this goading of a volunteer moderator who does a sterling job on my behalf generally on here, but especially recently when I was ill for almost a month with what might well hav

Well my sister's fella is making very small steps in the right direction. From being described as as near to death without being dead, he's now sat up, off dialysis and yesterday was breathing on

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, ckn said:

That's the same process here. If in hospital, confirmation and certification of death is done, body in a bag, bag decontaminated, put in 2nd bag then off to funeral directors/morgue. Bag never to be opened again short of a court order that'll never be granted. If out of hospital, it's area dependent but many funeral directors are insisting the same process as close as possible or they won't show up to collect the bodies.

There are plague graves that they daren't reopen even after 400 years.

But it was a funeral director who I heard from about the pressure (from some) to not mark deaths as covid because of the difference between how covid/non covid bodies, funerals etc are treated.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting again that the 50%+ over hospital deaths figure has been shown again in Scotland with Sturgeon saying 596 of the total 962 deaths took place in hospital. It does make an easy ready reckoner when the UK government refuses to add non-hospital deaths to the total.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

761 according to Sky, although their numbers seemed out yesterday when I looked. 

I think the discrepancy might be in their wording of "died in hospital". Scotland may have included some community deaths in their figures so perhaps sky deducted them for a more standardised count across the UK?

Just a guess.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, fevtom said:

I think the discrepancy might be in their wording of "died in hospital". Scotland may have included some community deaths in their figures so perhaps sky deducted them for a more standardised count across the UK?

Just a guess.

Either way, it's not a dramatic turn in any direction. Glass half full, glass half empty day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I spoke to my Brother today, he's a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon on the Surrey Hampshire border. He's currently covering 4 different posts, his normal surgical work, although if it can wait three months it does at the moment, he's doing 2 or three shifts 4 - midnight in A&E, he's putting a number of shifts on ITU and he's doing rounds on the medical wards. I suggested he'd finally turned into Doctor Gregory House and advised it may look like Lupus but it never is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

At the other side of the news from the 106 year old woman recovering is this horrible story

 

  • Sad 3

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ckn said:

Interesting again that the 50%+ over hospital deaths figure has been shown again in Scotland with Sturgeon saying 596 of the total 962 deaths took place in hospital. It does make an easy ready reckoner when the UK government refuses to add non-hospital deaths to the total.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.   

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.   

It's not though, especially when certain interested parties, including some media sources, are using it as an example of why the lockdown should be ended early.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Blood plasma treatment trials getting underway in Wales https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-antibody-transfusion-wales-cardiff-18087216 Plenty of trials into this going on elsewhere in the world although I don't think there are yet any controlled results to show whether it is effective or not.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

Ireland as one. After South extends lockdown for further three  weeks ,North follows suit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-northern-ireland-52274367

Given that the four nations meet on a regular basis to discuss these things, I'd imagine England, Wales and Scotland will follow Northern Ireland by announcement either today or tomorrow (legally an announcement has to be made by Thursday).  

Link to post
Share on other sites

⚠️ Warning ⚠️ light-hearted post! 

Most of my friends are setting themselves silly physical challenges (running a marathon round the garden etc) during these strange times... 

I’ve done something else... bake a chocolate cake. And this is the result... (yes - that’s two sponges that haven’t risen!). C- at best... 

?

E9107A9E-C2C1-40A1-A5B1-C5064362BA4E.jpeg

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Most of my friends are setting themselves silly physical challenges (running a marathon round the garden etc) during these strange times... 

I’ve done something else... bake a chocolate cake. And this is the result... (yes - that’s two sponges that haven’t risen!). C- at best... 

?

<snip>

Not a physical challenge but I'm going to wash my car tomorrow, something I've not done for I'd guess getting on for 15 years.

PS as long as it tastes fine who cares what it looks like!

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a stressful week. Family stuff permitting, I'm getting set in the garden with some sounds on and sod the virus.

I've been doffed in PPE today... cant see a bloody thing... its irritating,  its uncomfortable... its absolutely necessary.

Huuuuge respect to the brethren in ICU doing this all shift. How on earth they manage that lord only knows.

Been a long day

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Been a stressful week. Family stuff permitting, I'm getting set in the garden with some sounds on and sod the virus.

I've been doffed in PPE today... cant see a bloody thing... its irritating,  its uncomfortable... its absolutely necessary.

Huuuuge respect to the brethren in ICU doing this all shift. How on earth they manage that lord only knows.

Been a long day

I did three days of being in full NBC kit on an exercise once in the army, with random CS gas sticks and pellets thrown into our areas to see if we were cheating. I was ready to rip it off and suck up the CS gas by the end of the second day, and would have happily resigned on the spot if we'd been asked to go into a fourth day. I simply could not do the heavy duty kit that the ITU folk have to wear for the time they have to do it. Beyond respect for them doing that with the job they have to do.

And in the army, we did the usual army thing of hurrying up to wait while these folk are at it non-stop. A whole different level of complexity and discomfort that deserves every bit of respect offered.

  • Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

⚠️ Warning ⚠️ light-hearted post! 

Most of my friends are setting themselves silly physical challenges (running a marathon round the garden etc) during these strange times... 

I’ve done something else... bake a chocolate cake. And this is the result... (yes - that’s two sponges that haven’t risen!). C- at best... 

?

E9107A9E-C2C1-40A1-A5B1-C5064362BA4E.jpeg

My eldest daughter is currently icing a banana loaf she made - (but she burnt the slices of banana she was trying to make into banana chips for decoration)

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

⚠️ Warning ⚠️ light-hearted post! 

Most of my friends are setting themselves silly physical challenges (running a marathon round the garden etc) during these strange times... 

I’ve done something else... bake a chocolate cake. And this is the result... (yes - that’s two sponges that haven’t risen!). C- at best... 

?

E9107A9E-C2C1-40A1-A5B1-C5064362BA4E.jpeg

Strict adherence to the recipe and practice! Treat it like drill (obviously soldier standards of drill rather than officers')

  • Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ckn said:

I did three days of being in full NBC kit on an exercise once in the army, with random CS gas sticks and pellets thrown into our areas to see if we were cheating. I was ready to rip it off and suck up the CS gas by the end of the second day, and would have happily resigned on the spot if we'd been asked to go into a fourth day. I simply could not do the heavy duty kit that the ITU folk have to wear for the time they have to do it. Beyond respect for them doing that with the job they have to do.

And in the army, we did the usual army thing of hurrying up to wait while these folk are at it non-stop. A whole different level of complexity and discomfort that deserves every bit of respect offered.

i once did 1 hour in it during cadets when the local TA guys sent to do an exercise with us decided to beast the school kids by making us do various tasks in it finishing up by running around the tennis courts for 10 mins rifle (read old lee enfield 303's) above head before entering the range and firing off 20 shots unrested on the 22's to proof how much breathing matters for aim

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...