Jump to content

Recommended Posts


  • Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... after 66 days in ICU my sister's fella who was described as being as near to death as can be without dying.... has made it. He's home. Half the fella he was.... and the virus has ravaged his l

I'm not putting up with this goading of a volunteer moderator who does a sterling job on my behalf generally on here, but especially recently when I was ill for almost a month with what might well hav

New government advice specifically for Wiganers who don't understand the metric system.

Posted Images

Here in Spain I have not seen one single child out playing or wandering around the streets. The schools are closed and will remain so for the foreseable future. Just this afternoon I was speaking to my Spanish neighbour over my garden hedge and asked her why there was no children about. I never knew this but the reason is that even though there is no school, children are not allowed out of their own house or gardens.

Amazingly this is being followed to the letter of the law by the parents and the children.Saying that the Guardia and Special Forces out on the streets can be pretty intimidating.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Here in Spain I have not seen one single child out playing or wandering around the streets. The schools are closed and will remain so for the foreseable future. Just this afternoon I was speaking to my Spanish neighbour over my garden hedge and asked her why there was no children about. I never knew this but the reason is that even though there is no school, children are not allowed out of their own house or gardens.

Amazingly this is being followed to the letter of the law by the parents and the children.Saying that the Guardia and Special Forces out on the streets can be pretty intimidating.

I haven’t seen many children out over here but certainly loads of teenagers. I’m amazed how many gangs of what I’d guess are between the ages of 15-20 hanging around precincts and in parks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fevtom, 

             Normally there is a few teenagers hanging around,here teenagers are allowed motor bikes from 14 onwards as long as they are no more than 150cc and the vast majority have them. However now that they are not allowed to ride them because of the lockdown they seem to be abiding by the rules. However,last week a few of them decided to have a house party. Somebody reported it, the Guardia were there 5 minutes later,took them home and warned the parents if they were caught out again the parents would incur a large fine. The parents who allowed the party were fined and also received a stern warning if it happened again there would be severe penalties applied, i.e. imprisonment.Seems it worked,have not heard of any since.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Me too. I consider my wrist slapped. A bit of a grey area indeed.

Can't say much on here without a wrist slap.

(Or a deleted post, for that matter...)

I'll leave you lot to compare notes on your pretty graphs and ludicrous "statistics" with the fount of all knowledge. I'm sure he'll be along on his "tea break".

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BryanC said:

Can't say much on here without a wrist slap.

(Or a deleted post, for that matter...)

I'll leave you lot to compare notes on your pretty graphs and ludicrous "statistics" with the fount of all knowledge. I'm sure he'll be along on his "tea break".

Give it a rest man....

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Can't say much on here without a wrist slap.

(Or a deleted post, for that matter...)

I'll leave you lot to compare notes on your pretty graphs and ludicrous "statistics" with the fount of all knowledge. I'm sure he'll be along on his "tea break".

giphy.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Can't say much on here without a wrist slap.

(Or a deleted post, for that matter...)

I'll leave you lot to compare notes on your pretty graphs and ludicrous "statistics" with the fount of all knowledge. I'm sure he'll be along on his "tea break".

This post was reported to me. I choose to leave it as you’ve effectively moderated yourself by posting such dross that I’m shocked anyone DOESN’T have you on ignore. 

  • Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Can't say much on here without a wrist slap.

(Or a deleted post, for that matter...)

I'll leave you lot to compare notes on your pretty graphs and ludicrous "statistics" with the fount of all knowledge. I'm sure he'll be along on his "tea break".

we are all getting stressed mate, and I for one am gonna make an apology for pressing the submit reply button on several occasions when "things" have been getting to me without thinking it through 

they come swinging round that corner, they think they're benny goodman

Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly, my earlier deleted post was just a wish that the ex-military on here would just "bore off" (in the modern vernacular), with all their forces reminiscences. I realise that it was disappointing that the majority of "the usual suspects" never actually fought in a war, but really, we're not interested in self-propelled guns, NBC suits, et al. 

By the way, ckn, you recently promised to "ignore" me. I expect you to keep your word.

Moving on.

It is PROFOUNDLY disappointing that so many of my countrymen cannot distinguish between died "WITH" Covid-19 and died "OF" Covid-19.

Unbelievable how many have swallowed all this nonsense hook, line and sinker without questioning ANY of it. Basic freedoms given up unquestioningly without so much as a whimper. As I've stated before, we have become a nation of Mary Ellens and you will live to regret it.

(On the other hand, I suppose not - anyone want to buy a swastika armband?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Can't say much on here without a wrist slap.

(Or a deleted post, for that matter...)

I'll leave you lot to compare notes on your pretty graphs and ludicrous "statistics" with the fount of all knowledge. I'm sure he'll be along on his "tea break".

A tongue in cheek quip on my part. Never gave it a thought that you’d find it anything other than that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fairfolly said:

Fevtom, 

             Normally there is a few teenagers hanging around,here teenagers are allowed motor bikes from 14 onwards as long as they are no more than 150cc and the vast majority have them. However now that they are not allowed to ride them because of the lockdown they seem to be abiding by the rules. However,last week a few of them decided to have a house party. Somebody reported it, the Guardia were there 5 minutes later,took them home and warned the parents if they were caught out again the parents would incur a large fine. The parents who allowed the party were fined and also received a stern warning if it happened again there would be severe penalties applied, i.e. imprisonment.Seems it worked,have not heard of any since.

I have a just 18 yo pining after her recently MOT'd 125 that she is paying just over £2 a day to insure

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BryanC said:

 

It is PROFOUNDLY disappointing that so many of my countrymen cannot distinguish between died "WITH" Covid-19 and died "OF" Covid-19.

 

While there is a subtle difference between the two it is lunacy to suggest that a majority of the “died with” cases weren’t exacerbated by having the virus. That is a medical fact borne out by the testimony of many medical experts. Regardless of “died with” or “died of” the bottom line is that they are all Covid-19 related, the only issue is to what extent.

  • Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Last week, the numbers escalated quickly and the coverage changed to much more negative and challenging. Those increases stopped very very abruptly. It will be interesting to see whether our tail is longer than others as that would be a sign of manipulation. 

So Italy and Spain are manipulating their figures as well, yes?  After all, they are both experiencing a rather long tail.

It could be that this virus grows slowly at first, then exponentially (unless action is taken), then plateaus (as a result of that action) and then tails off slowly.  If you took a look at what is happening in European countries just now, you may just see that instead of the government being involved in some conspiracy against its population, the virus here is behaving in a very similar fashion to the virus elsewhere.

Belgium appears to be at a similar stage to us in the pandemic cycle.  Italy and Spain are ahead of us. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A little update from my part of the world, though clearly rather closer to the front line than I am, being sat at home 16 miles away each day...

 

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2020-04-16/itv-calendar-speaks-to-nhs-staff-saving-lives-at-airedale-general-hospital/

Please view my photos.

 

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

 

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

 

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BryanC said:

Firstly, my earlier deleted post was just a wish that the ex-military on here would just "bore off" (in the modern vernacular), with all their forces reminiscences. I realise that it was disappointing that the majority of "the usual suspects" never actually fought in a war, but really, we're not interested in self-propelled guns, NBC suits, et al. 

It is PROFOUNDLY disappointing that so many of my countrymen cannot distinguish between died "WITH" Covid-19 and died "OF" Covid-19.

 

I would like to ask all those ex military types to carry on with their reminiscing of their past , I'm glad those that most if not all didn't have a war to fight , I'm sure they are most unpleasant 

On your second point how stupid does somebody need to be to not understand that quite often it is a combination of health issues that causes death ?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

So Italy and Spain are manipulating their figures as well, yes?  After all, they are both experiencing a rather long tail.

It could be that this virus grows slowly at first, then exponentially (unless action is taken), then plateaus (as a result of that action) and then tails off slowly.  If you took a look at what is happening in European countries just now, you may just see that instead of the government being involved in some conspiracy against its population, the virus here is behaving in a very similar fashion to the virus elsewhere.

Belgium appears to be at a similar stage to us in the pandemic cycle.  Italy and Spain are ahead of us. 

You will see I am not accusing them of a conspiracy, it is simply spin. We know the numbers announced relate to about 10 to 15 different days and not one. It would be very easy to control how many are registered and logged each day. Our curve has rather conveniently slotted into the same path as Italy's despite quite different approaches. There are quite wide differences between the various nations. 

But, happy to continue this on the political thread to avoid moderation issues. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dave T said:

You will see I am not accusing them of a conspiracy, it is simply spin. We know the numbers announced relate to about 10 to 15 different days and not one. It would be very easy to control how many are registered and logged each day. Our curve has rather conveniently slotted into the same path as Italy's despite quite different approaches. There are quite wide differences between the various nations. 

But, happy to continue this on the political thread to avoid moderation issues. 

You do realise that it takes some time to register deaths sometimes, yes?  And if you look at the England totals given out each day you will see they are broken down into the dates of actual death.  And of course at all times everyone has been clear that these are hospital deaths only; that the hospitals are very used to producing daily stats and so it was much more straightforward to use them as a consistent guide as to what is happening with the pandemic.  I've no idea how you consider those facts to be spin but then I'm no conspiracy theorist so I guess I wouldn't understand it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BryanC said:

 

It is PROFOUNDLY disappointing that so many of my countrymen cannot distinguish between died "WITH" Covid-19 and died "OF" Covid-19.

Unbelievable how many have swallowed all this nonsense hook, line and sinker without questioning ANY of it. Basic freedoms given up unquestioningly without so much as a whimper. As I've stated before, we have become a nation of Mary Ellens and you will live to regret it.

The people being tested for Covid-19 are those admitted to hospital suffering from acute respiratory disease. If someone dies of viral pneumonia and tests positive for a virus that causes pneumonia, i’d say in most cases it’s fair to say that’s the primary cause of death. We’re not retrospectively testing car crash victims.

Last week the ONS reported the highest recorded number of deaths in a week since records began, in a month that is usually nowhere near the peak of the year. It’s fine to have an opinion whether a lockdown is needed but to deny the impact of this virus shows me that you probably aren’t qualified in this area.

If you’d like to let us all know which area of medicine your degree is in then i’m sure those of us who do work in a clinical environment would be more than happy to discuss this somewhere more appropriate than an anonymous rugby league forum.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, fevtom said:

The people being tested for Covid-19 are those admitted to hospital suffering from acute respiratory disease. If someone dies of viral pneumonia and tests positive for a virus that causes pneumonia, i’d say in most cases it’s fair to say that’s the primary cause of death. We’re not retrospectively testing car crash victims.

Last week the ONS reported the highest recorded number of deaths in a week since records began, in a month that is usually nowhere near the peak of the year. It’s fine to have an opinion whether a lockdown is needed but to deny the impact of this virus shows me that you probably aren’t qualified in this area.

If you’d like to let us all know which area of medicine your degree is in then i’m sure those of us who do work in a clinical environment would be more than happy to discuss this somewhere more appropriate than an anonymous rugby league forum.

While I agree with the sentiment, I would suggest his research might be in virology, epidemilogy or even sociology that is applicable to this. That would certainly give him a valuable insight. I would agree that these valuable insights could be shared in a relevant place.

  • Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

You do realise that it takes some time to register deaths sometimes, yes?  And if you look at the England totals given out each day you will see they are broken down into the dates of actual death.  And of course at all times everyone has been clear that these are hospital deaths only; that the hospitals are very used to producing daily stats and so it was much more straightforward to use them as a consistent guide as to what is happening with the pandemic.  I've no idea how you consider those facts to be spin but then I'm no conspiracy theorist so I guess I wouldn't understand it!

You are clearly missing my point. The fact that the recording of deaths is sporadic shows how it is possible to pretty much report whatever number you want really. 

The backdated reports are great, but those numbers are not quoted to the media at all. 

The daily recorded numbers are not a true reflection of daily deaths, but they were being taken as that and the commentary changed as we approached 1k. 

We are adding around 150 deaths for the previous day. There will absolutely be more than 1000 pipeline deaths, i.e people have died but not recorded yet. If these were all recorded right now we'd probably see a couple of thousand deaths announced tomorrow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

While I agree with the sentiment, I would suggest his research might be in virology, epidemilogy or even sociology that is applicable to this. That would certainly give him a valuable insight. I would agree that these valuable insights could be shared in a relevant place.

...but definitely not anger management or diplomacy.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Here in Spain I have not seen one single child out playing or wandering around the streets. The schools are closed and will remain so for the foreseable future. Just this afternoon I was speaking to my Spanish neighbour over my garden hedge and asked her why there was no children about. I never knew this but the reason is that even though there is no school, children are not allowed out of their own house or gardens.

Amazingly this is being followed to the letter of the law by the parents and the children.Saying that the Guardia and Special Forces out on the streets can be pretty intimidating.

Yes the Guardia Civil are not to be messed with. My father in law lived out in Mojicar for years, he got into a bit of an argument with them about where he parked his car. In retaliation one of the Guardia pulled out his gun and shot my father in law's dog  " Haggis " dead and threw my father in law in jail over night.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...