'Two Years that will shape rugby league'.

cookey

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/51290285

Private equity and restructure is going to come, I feel.

Woods suggests seven heartland clubs but I would start with only five: St Helens, Leeds, Wigan, Warrington and Hull FC.

Add Toronto, New York, London, Catalans and Toulouse and you could have a first-rate Super League with international appeal (and with room to expand).

Other clubs like Hull KR, Cas, Wakey, Huddersfield, Salford, Bradford etc would play in a highly competitive ‘Super League 2’, which would be part of the TV deal. This would be my strategy, anyway.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Woods suggests seven heartland clubs but I would start with only five: St Helens, Leeds, Wigan, Warrington and Hull FC.

Add Toronto, New York, London, Catalans and Toulouse and you could have a first-rate Super League with international appeal (and with room to expand).

Other clubs like Hull KR, Cas, Wakey, Huddersfield, Salford, Bradford etc would play in a highly competitive ‘Super League 2’, which would be part of the TV deal. This would be my strategy, anyway.

I agree with this and I think the next two years can build the momentum in the sport to drive this type of structure over the following 3 to 5 years.

I'm a dreamer when it comes to international possibilities (both the international fixtures and international expansion) but I realise that consolidation is an emotive subject especially when your team may miss out so let me say as a Wigan lad I would be happy to see Wigan in Super League 2 if the top tier saw the game thrive overall.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, clwydianrange said:

That’s a good article and highlights many possibilities. I wouldn’t want a closed shop for the top flight but no doubts others disagree.

It is a good summary on the whole, but Woods' understanding of what is needed for strategic value is clearly lacking.  Clubs so poor that they can't afford one trip to Toronto a year don't have it.

Think ten Heartland Teams;

Brisbane Broncos, Newcastle Knights, Canberra Raiders, New Zealand Warriors, Wests Tigers, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Sydney Roosters, SGI Dragons, Leeds Rhinos & Hull FC. 

Padded out by eight Established teams;

Gold Coast Titans, Melbourne Storm, Toronto Wolfpack, Toulouse Olympique, London Broncos, Sheffield Eagles, Newcastle Thunder & Dragons Catalans.

Then think six new clubs;

New York, Ottawa, Manchester, Dublin, Perth & Adelaide. 

24 teams, structured into 2 x 12 Super League (North Division & South Division) inter division games included in regular season fixture list instead of loop fixtures (3 home & 3 away) 

Playoffs as now but replicated in both Divisions. Grand Final Winners play each other in a Super Final 2 weeks after grand finals (an upgraded and eventually more prestigious World Club Challenge) 

1 hour ago, Bert1 said:

Not keen on SL1 and SL2 but if it’s conferenced and both have a chance at GF then I could be won round. World Cup has massive potential.

I must say I really thinks SL1 and 2 misses the issue. 
we have about seven super clubs. We have twelve spaces for them. It this situation, the first number is too small, not the latter. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

37 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Think ten Heartland Teams;

Brisbane Broncos, Newcastle Knights, Canberra Raiders, New Zealand Warriors, Wests Tigers, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Sydney Roosters, SGI Dragons, Leeds Rhinos & Hull FC. 

Padded out by eight Established teams;

Gold Coast Titans, Melbourne Storm, Toronto Wolfpack, Toulouse Olympique, London Broncos, Sheffield Eagles, Newcastle Thunder & Dragons Catalans.

Then think six new clubs;

New York, Ottawa, Manchester, Dublin, Perth & Adelaide. 

24 teams, structured into 2 x 12 Super League (North Division & South Division) inter division games included in regular season fixture list instead of loop fixtures (3 home & 3 away) 

Playoffs as now but replicated in both Divisions. Grand Final Winners play each other in a Super Final 2 weeks after grand finals (an upgraded and eventually more prestigious World Club Challenge) 

What?

Sadly i don't think we have the right amount of capable people involved in senior positions to take the game forward, fully grasp the potential and prosper. Not in the next two years anyway. Hope i'm wrong. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Can RL find a Bernie Ecclestone with the vision but without the greed? Too much money went into F1 but it did elevate the sport into a global powerhouse..on a downward spiral now with too many races in less then savoury locations but that is the conundrum.

21 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

Can RL find a Bernie Ecclestone with the vision but without the greed? Too much money went into F1 but it did elevate the sport into a global powerhouse..on a downward spiral now with too many races in less then savoury locations but that is the conundrum.

And would they keep that person around when the crunch comes and difficult business decisions have to be made?  Based on their track record and on Richard Lewis' tenure in the game, even in the unlikely event that a sport with the image problems of RL in the UK could attract a person such as you descibe I'd say the answer is no.

38 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Sadly i don't think we have the right amount of capable people involved in senior positions to take the game forward, fully grasp the potential and prosper. Not in the next two years anyway. Hope i'm wrong. 

I agree but private equity would force through the changes required. There is a dangerous side to that, of course, but it may be needed for the greater good (and to make money, of course).

6 minutes ago, iangidds said:

Nigel Woods must be happy with the legacy he left behind!

??? Please elaborate? 

Common themes developing

Super League 2020: 'Two years that will shape rugby league'

Streaming on the road to rugby league’s uncertain future

Brian McDermott realises Toronto’s Super League dream is already at a crossroads

image.png.ac1c6b8ef93dec850315b038b20918f2.png

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

40 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

And would they keep that person around when the crunch comes and difficult business decisions have to be made?  Based on their track record and on Richard Lewis' tenure in the game, even in the unlikely event that a sport with the image problems of RL in the UK could attract a person such as you descibe I'd say the answer is no.

Eric Perez. He has the vision. Give him the clout to go with his enthusiasm and who knows where he could take the game?

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

When I first read this excellent proposal I had to double-check who it came from. Kman will undoubtedly speak up too -once he picks himself up off the floor. ?

Just now, TIWIT said:

When I first read this excellent proposal I had to double-check who it came from. Kman will undoubtedly speak up too -once he picks himself up off the floor. ?

As I've said before, I do actually want Toronto to succeed. Whether they will do that with Brian Noble and Martin Vickers at the helm remains to be seen.

1 minute ago, TIWIT said:

What timing...I read the article earlier this morning and have now finished a brutal workout in the weight room reflecting and thinking on it.

I believe what he says is true in a 'macro' sense....the crossroads is indeed here, in the NOW, even though some refuse to admit it.  This is our time as a sport...sometimes your number just comes up.

Its the 'micro' that gives me concern....it will be the nuts and bolts that define what happens.  There does not seem to be alot of support from the administrative structure on how to proceed....the lack of support and direction from SL for the Wolfpack has been just woeful.  There is Argyle, willing to support and put big money in , and he gets the snub...bizarre to say the least.

I'm concerned about the Ottawa deal, the lack of support and intentional roadblocks will have certainly been noticed. Its fine and dandy to talk in big grandiose terms but its the nuts and bolts which will decide things...where there is a will there is a way though.

The thing is its all in our control...we control our destiny, not Union or a myriad of other excuses that so many come up with.  We can do it but we need a plan and we need leadership...this muddling has got to stop.  That being said we are moving forward at a snails pace...but moving forward nonetheless....the future for the game lies in a proper NA expansion...lets hope we don't miss the boat...there is a window and it is starting to close unless we put a good hardwood stick in there. 

Lets get moving on the Ottawa front....its more important than many seem to understand at the moment.

I'm happy enough with a ring fenced league with the big 6 or so SL clubs along with London and 2 from France and North America and so on if the investment is big enough and all clubs can compete on an equal financial footing.....BIG IF

My argument for P&R has always been the gap between bottom of SL and top of CHAMPIONSHIP is too small to cut teams out.

Jumping to a league of big clubs with for example a £5m salary cap would kill that argument dead.

Can't see a SL2 working under a smaller cap or whatever........the bigger clubs would get smaller (Castleford, Wakefield, Huddersfield etc) and clubs like Fev and Leigh would probably start to catch them up a little and eventually everyone outside the new BIG League would be part time...... I don't really mind this as part time rugby is pretty good to watch.

The big Question is whether the Chosen Big Clubs actually grow the sport from where it is now?   and How the SL clubs that miss out react.

I really don't see how any of it would work without more internationals........that's the only way to grow interest in our game IMO.

Maybe a new richer big league will bring on Canada, USA and France faster.......that's what the game need more than anything.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

Archived