Derek Beaumont accuses delay tactics being set to prevent Championship return

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the vast majority of teams in the Championship and Championship 1 it is simply not financially feasible to resume the season.

No club chairman or directors would in their right mind resume playing if to do so sees their club losing money. And when I say losing money,we are talking tens of thousands of pounds,maybe even going into hundreds of thousands.

That would frankly be financial suicide.

51 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Wasn’t he against more than one relegation space from Super League recently because he said it would be too tough to stay up? If so, why on earth does he want a sixteen team league with four relegation places? 

Its almost as if he`s a self interested ######...

4 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Seems to me he's scared again... if he's spent too much money for no return due to human nature then it's not the RFL/Clubs fault there not gonna cripple themselves because Derek has spent millions again 

That's what I think as well. I'd imagine that the RFL are well aware of what he's like and probably bin his rants unread.

8 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

The Championship and C1 clubs with ambition need rescuing from the pub team mentality of the rest

I am not sure I would use the term pub team as that can come back bite one on his ass.And in fairness a lot of the clubs in the Championship and Championship 1 the aim is survival.

But underneath that you do raise a very good point,and we all know that there are underlying systematic issues.And I think we all know deep down all is not well.

And we all know changes are coming many of which will not be popular.

17 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Cancel the Championship for 2020 and be done with it. The league isn’t viable without crowds, it’s only just viable with crowds.

With no spectators and Promotion what would be the point in restarting?.So i agree with your first sentence.

He accuses both the other clubs and the RFL of frustrating his ambitions, sorry I mean "getting in the way of a meaningful competition, may the best team win etc". Then he boycotts the most recent virtual meeting of the clubs, labelling it a waste of time. If this isn't spitting the dummy then I don't know what is.

The RFL has just issued a set of guidance notes for clubs demonstrating the steps to return to playing again. This involves a cautious, systematic approach which some chairmen clearly might regard as unecessarily slow.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

These clubs who've pushed the boat out to get promotion - no names, no pack drill - need to remember that all but one of them were going to have wasted their money anyway.

There was only ever one promotion place up for grabs.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

17 minutes ago, Griff said:

These clubs who've pushed the boat out to get promotion - no names, no pack drill - need to remember that all but one of them were going to have wasted their money anyway.

I can only think of Leigh and, maybe, Featherstone who would fall into that category. London are buttressed by David Hughes' money. Dunno about Toulouse...

But, yeah, the point holds - only one of them was ever going to hit the SL jackpot, the rest were going to end up disappointed.

23 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I can only think of Leigh and, maybe, Featherstone who would fall into that category. London are buttressed by David Hughes' money. Dunno about Toulouse...

But, yeah, the point holds - only one of them was ever going to hit the SL jackpot, the rest were going to end up disappointed.

Much like 11 of the 12 clubs in SL , much like all but one premier League club , much like everybody bar one that enters the Challenge Cup , or the football world Cup 

It's called sport , it is however frustrating if you have invested heavily and you don't even get to play 

But that's just the way it is 

2 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I am not sure I would use the term pub team as that can come back bite one on his ass.And in fairness a lot of the clubs in the Championship and Championship 1 the aim is survival.

But underneath that you do raise a very good point,and we all know that there are underlying systematic issues.And I think we all know deep down all is not well.

And we all know changes are coming many of which will not be popular.

What would those be Rob? Honestly I am intrigued to know and who would these changes be unpopular for? 

23 minutes ago, Damien said:

Beaumont in self interested moan shocker!

And that sratement does not apply to any other club owner/ceo does it Damien? 

I am sure that I have read statements/suggestions from others in his position that if enacted would be of benefit to their clubs, am I wrong?

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

'Kin hell Paul, I remember a guy caled Caisley who spent the money of others - not is own - to bring success to a certain club, which to my knowledge they have never recovered from.

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And that sratement does not apply to any other club owner/ceo does it Damien? 

I am sure that I have read statements/suggestions from others in his position that if enacted would be of benefit to their clubs, am I wrong?

Blinkers off Harry. Beaumont is the foghorn of the Championship - how many other chairmen have been moaning like him, or even at all, about the unfairness of the current situation?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

if we end the season now we will regret it.all the signs are that the virus will be gone by the end of july.then once its safe they will let the crowds back.that wont be a problem as apart from a few clubs social distancing  has been going on for 100 years.if we start in september we can have a good season.all the people on here saying end it now will be here again saying im bored n wish we hadnt been so hasty.

15 minutes ago, leytherz said:

if we end the season now we will regret it.all the signs are that the virus will be gone by the end of july.then once its safe they will let the crowds back.that wont be a problem as apart from a few clubs social distancing  has been going on for 100 years.if we start in september we can have a good season.all the people on here saying end it now will be here again saying im bored n wish we hadnt been so hasty.

I'm sure the whole of the NHS will be delighted with your July prediction.

Archived