Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

Map of every rugby league club in the UK

Recommended Posts

East Anglia (Norfolk, Suffolk and Cambs) so sadly empty on the map ūüėĒ. If anyone in the area wants to try to change that let me know, I‚Äôd love to help.¬†

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mister Ting said:

Not much in or around Stoke-on-Trent.

Never will be. They are all football mad. There was an idea of using Northwood stadium as a base for a club. But that's as far as it got. 

More chance of a club in Liverpool....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, doc said:

Never will be. They are all football mad. There was an idea of using Northwood stadium as a base for a club. But that's as far as it got. 

More chance of a club in Liverpool....

Fair point. However, there are other towns and cities who you could say are football mad. Stoke seems to be a black hole in many ways, as if everything passes it by. I wouldn't be surprised if eight track was the latest technology.

Edited by Mister Ting
  • Like 1

Learn to listen without distortion and learn to look without imagination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

That flurry of activity in southwest Surrey (Guildford Giants/Surrey Sharks) and Hampshire (Southampton Spitfires) has fizzled out, then?

They've renamed themselves Solent Spitfires to try and attract people from across the South (e.g. Portsmouth folk), who wouldn't want to play under the Southampton banner.

I think also they might only be an over-35's Masters team. I'm not sure if they do any junior stuff.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Don't mean to be negative as this is good work by the guys at LRL. It needs to be on the RFL's website, but again, if this was uploaded to the official site would the governing body regularly update it?

It used to be, ten years or so ago when the RFL's website was rather better than it is now. The map doesn't work any more in the version saved on the Internet Archive but the list of clubs is still there on the bottom left:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110902073809/http://www.therfl.co.uk/watch/club_finder

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

Not much in or around Stoke-on-Trent.

Union hasn't much of a presence in the Potteries. The 'Stoke-on-Trent' club is located way out of town, very much in the rural hinterland. Longton has a team, albeit seemingly stuck in a perpetual battle to avoid relegation.

I see speedway died a death in Stoke (well, Chesterton) in 2019.

Hard work when football is so dominant.

Edited by Hopping Mad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/07/2020 at 03:21, M j M said:

It used to be, ten years or so ago when the RFL's website was rather better than it is now. The map doesn't work any more in the version saved on the Internet Archive but the list of clubs is still there on the bottom left:

https://web.archive.org/web/20110902073809/http://www.therfl.co.uk/watch/club_finder

Yes i remember the club locator tool, in fact, it was still there up until the Rugby-League revamp a few years ago.  I am baffled as to why it does not feature on the new site.  The hardest part surely is when you first create it.  From there, just need to do an update every 6 months or so, add in new clubs / remove ones that are no longer active etc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2020 at 20:57, Mister Ting said:

Not much in or around Stoke-on-Trent.

 

On 24/07/2020 at 22:35, doc said:

Never will be. They are all football mad. There was an idea of using Northwood stadium as a base for a club. But that's as far as it got. 

More chance of a club in Liverpool....

 

On 24/07/2020 at 22:47, Mister Ting said:

Fair point. However, there are other towns and cities who you could say are football mad. Stoke seems to be a black hole in many ways, as if everything passes it by. I wouldn't be surprised if eight track was the latest technology.

There used to be a team in Stoke in the 1980's when a bunch of lads from Kells went there to work after Haig pit closed and set up a team, they occasionally have  meet ups. Now there is a guy looking to set up a new club in Stoke - Stoke-on-Trent Staffies. Not sure if the Coronavirus has stalled things but they were certainly still in communication with the Stoke Old Boys in May, in the words of the bloke organising it "We will also have a Masters team...THAT is guaranteed"

  • Like 2

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry first post, Cumbrian Fanatic do you have any details for the man trying to form a club in Stoke, ive recently moved here from Salford and gutted no one plays here! Would love to see a Stoke team!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brought this back for TTRL thread to have a look at.

Edited by The Rocket

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/07/2020 at 14:19, LK113 said:

Sorry first post, Cumbrian Fanatic do you have any details for the man trying to form a club in Stoke, ive recently moved here from Salford and gutted no one plays here! Would love to see a Stoke team!

Sorry I've just seen this, PM me and I'll try and get the details for you. Will have to speak to a mate who it one of the Old Boys but I'm sure he is in touch with the new guy


100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/07/2020 at 03:03, langpark said:

Yes i remember the club locator tool, in fact, it was still there up until the Rugby-League revamp a few years ago.  I am baffled as to why it does not feature on the new site.  The hardest part surely is when you first create it.  From there, just need to do an update every 6 months or so, add in new clubs / remove ones that are no longer active etc.

G,day mate, did they ever update this and bring it onto the new site like you suggested. Was a great idea, like for the bloke above looking for somewhere to play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Rocket said:

G,day mate, did they ever update this and bring it onto the new site like you suggested. Was a great idea, like for the bloke above looking for somewhere to play.

No idea, not sure if they plan to add it back onto the site...

For what it's worth, there is also a European version of this, but it appears to be about 4 years old now, so of course will not be completely accurate:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=el&mid=1z180nEN18FpUPC5w9e_Vk17y0Fc&ll=50.495225343968634%2C2.6220141705994138&z=4

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that map, up to date Rocket? Can anyone here vouch for its accuracy. If its right, then there are 50 universities or colleges playing rugby league. So why aren't we registering and keeping in touch with these blokes after they leave Uni? Encouraging them to stay involved in the game in any way they want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Is that map, up to date Rocket? Can anyone here vouch for its accuracy. If its right, then there are 50 universities or colleges playing rugby league. So why aren't we registering and keeping in touch with these blokes after they leave Uni? Encouraging them to stay involved in the game in any way they want.

Downloaded that map at about 12o`clock last night, I went through all the comments on the corresponding thread and took some notes. I`ll go over them today, but from what I can recall, and I have been running on empty the last couple of days, there was a lot of positive feedback when it was put up back in July. I will double check though. I assume you`ve looked and there looks like a lot of pins across large parts of the country. 

I think there are Masters and Universities teams listed.

 I saw a headline in the paper during the week saying ` The Next Pandemic `, it was referring to obesity. Got me thinking about how RL clubs could be run as fitness hubs or programmes for the general public, I think after the virus is controlled we may see a big push on preventative medicine and the Gov`t may be looking for partners, could even be run in conjunction with Development Officers or part of what they offer. Anyway while I was looking for this `map` thread last night I stumbled upon a thread about a Public Health and Fitness Programme that Coventry Bears ran. It had an email address and phone number of a woman, I might contact her and see how it went and any other observations she has about the programme and its success or otherwise.

One last thing I read somewhere that Masters is a good group to harness, because a lot of those type of blokes are financially secure and have good contacts/networks that can be very handy if you are looking for sponsors or profile or even experience in setting things up. Universities and Colleges could provide similar future benefits. That billion dollar company Downer in OZ who since Grant Fenn has been CEO has sponsored Friday Night Football and the World Nines last year. I know he came from Tumut, Les Boyd country and I strongly suspect he may have been a leagie.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2020 at 16:37, Tommygilf said:

In a 6 counties tournament (Yorks/Lancs/Cumbria/Cheshire/North East/London) I'd put London in at number 3 quite confidently, at worst tied with Cumbria.

You could add merseyside and Greater Manchester to that too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yipyee said:

You could add merseyside and Greater Manchester to that too

Stop it.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Stop it.

Stop what,

They could be classed as hearland with the amountvof clubs based within the counties

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Stop what,

They could be classed as hearland with the amountvof clubs based within the counties

There will never be a rugby league county championship in which Greater Manchester plays Merseyside


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, yipyee said:

You could add merseyside and Greater Manchester to that too

That's more local authorities though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2020 at 22:35, doc said:

Never will be. They are all football mad. There was an idea of using Northwood stadium as a base for a club. But that's as far as it got. 

More chance of a club in Liverpool....

I like it how rugby league is the greatest game of all time while simultaneously having absolutely no chance of ever having even an amateur team in some areas. We can’t keep claiming both these things to be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Is that map, up to date Rocket? Can anyone here vouch for its accuracy. If its right, then there are 50 universities or colleges playing rugby league. So why aren't we registering and keeping in touch with these blokes after they leave Uni? Encouraging them to stay involved in the game in any way they want.

There are 12 university leagues on the OurLeague app. I’d of thought the number of university and college teams to be much higher than 50. 
 

Do we have any stats on what proportion do continue to play after they leave? But reasons for not playing probably include having less free time starting careers, some will live in areas with amateur teams few and far between. Joining a new club where you don’t know anyone can be a challenge. 

Edited by Sir Kevin Sinfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2020 at 15:24, Man of Kent said:

Lovely stuff but.... 

Dunstable/South Beds Bulls

Luton Vipers (on and off sure but...) 

MK Wolves - junior now mostly 

St. Albans Masters

If I've got 4 just off top of my head sure there is a lot more elsewhere 

Will email these names off

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Lovely stuff but.... 

Dunstable/South Beds Bulls

Luton Vipers (on and off sure but...) 

MK Wolves - junior now mostly 

St. Albans Masters

They’ll update it if you contact them, chief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...