Super League acquires another Aussie no-mark

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Giants sign Jack Cogger from Canterbury Bulldogs. 

Probably still better than NRL superstars, Widdop, G Burgess and Trent Merrin..... none could handle SL so maybe Cogger will be better placed to handle the riggers of SL than those 3.

It's Watson's first signing for the Giants, lets give the lad a chance and see how he goes. The Bulldogs fans seem to think he's had a a bit of a raw deal. 

Nothing wrong with attention grabbing post headers, the red top press subscribe to the purpose everyday.

However, this is an uncalled for personal slur to a lad who is hoping to make a go of it over here. It's certainly a bit premature.

Plenty of players flourish in a new environment with previously unencountered challenges. 

Give the player a chance. The change of culture and opportunity may just be what he needs.

I wish Mr Cogger well 👍🙂

If I recall correctly, Lachlan Coote wasn't highly rated when he arrived at Saints but he's done OK hasn't he? I'll be happy if Cogger goes as well as he has.

Pretty unremarkable stints at Newcastle and Canterbury in truth , although both sides weren’t travelling well so it wasn’t the easiest gig . We’ve often seen though you don’t need to be an NRL stand out to be successful in SL so I’ll just wait and see how he does . Different style , different set up , pressures  etc can bring out the best in someone coming here so just judge him on how he delivers 

1 hour ago, Oxford said:

Why is it, unnecessarily insulting posts to players or anyone else, are not simply removed? This is not twitter! Is it?

I think there should be a GDPR exemption that’s allows the Admins to release the home and work addresses of guilty individuals to said players and their mates. You’d soon see some keyboards being unplugged. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

WHERE ARE OUR OWN JACK COGGERS SHOULD BE THE QUESTION. 

Don't discriminate against Jack he is a young man earning a living in his chosen profession, if that means going to a place that deems him better than they can produce so be it. 

But this is the big problem, it is a collective frailty of our system, governing bodies, clubs, and yes even Joe Public that we are happy to sit back and let another system do the providing of player's to fill in our shortfall.

We have not reached crisis point yet, but if the slide is not addressed and quickly in the not to distant future, we will be requiring player's of a much lesser quality than Jack just to put teams onto the field. 

34 minutes ago, Wood1 said:

If I recall correctly, Lachlan Coote wasn't highly rated when he arrived at Saints but he's done OK hasn't he? I'll be happy if Cogger goes as well as he has.

That is a straight measure between the quality of the NRL and SL, and to no surprise it transfers then to the National teams.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don't discriminate against Jack he is a young man earning a living in his chosen profession, if that means going to a place that deems him better than they can produce so be it. 

But this is the big problem, it is a collective frailty of our system, governing bodies, clubs, and yes even Joe Public that we are happy to sit back and let another system do the providing of player's to fill in our shortfall.

We have not reached crisis point yet, but if the slide is not addressed and quickly in the not to distant future, we will be requiring player's of a much lesser quality than Jack just to put teams onto the field. 

To be fair, we have loads of English lads in our squads. 

Some of my favourite overseas players in SL have been modestly successful NRL players over the years. 

Some of the most average have been the big signings. 

Let's give the lad a chance and see what happens. 

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As has been said many times before, it’s because we keep fishing in the same pond and global warming is taking effect 

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

I wouldn’t write him off. Ian Watson has a talent for making good use of the players that he finds, players that the other clubs leave behind.

And if he doesn't pick things up at Huddersfield I'm convinced he'll be perfect for the proposed Wimbledon RL club.

32 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Some of my favourite overseas players in SL have been modestly successful NRL players over the years. 

Some of the most average have been the big signings. 

Let's give the lad a chance and see what happens. 

Alot have simply found SL suits them far more & although he's out of favour at ours Watson doesn't tend to sign people who can't or don't manage. Tui at Leeds v Tui at SRD! Who knew?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Wood1 said:

Wasn't highly rated !

The guy had played 166 NRL games, was a regular starter at Penrith & the Cowboys, Played City/Country rep footy, won a GF and a WCC and only lost his place in the starting line up at the Cowboys after suffering a series of injuries.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived