Relax everyone, the forum update worked!!

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I see that the new software has 'in thread' ads (at least on the mobile edition).

The first ad you see probably speaks volumes for your interests and search history.

I'm not telling what mine was but I will stress I am 50 now and it doesn't even happen all the time!

My ads are currently for Wizz Air, a bespoke kitchen company and a random Spar shop in Grimsby. Only one that makes any sense there is the airline. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Right, so I've had two replies to my previous post and the bar appeared across the bottom of the screen like normal but if you don't click on that straight away and let it go away there doesn't seem to be a red notification icon like there used to be. 

It looks to be the user settings that have either been moved or disappeared. Signing in, private messages, settings, etc. @John Drake

9 minutes ago, hindle xiii said:

It looks to be the user settings that have either been moved or disappeared. Signing in, private messages, settings, etc. @John Drake

Yep, all that stuff seems to have gone somewhere, I just came back on the site and there was the bar message saying I've got 3 new notifications but that message disappeared and now I can't find any way of accessing them. Figured one would be this thread but now I've gotta go looking for the others. 

3 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Well I logged in , but can't seem to log out.

itsatrap.jpg

:kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Yep, all that stuff seems to have gone somewhere, I just came back on the site and there was the bar message saying I've got 3 new notifications but that message disappeared and now I can't find any way of accessing them. Figured one would be this thread but now I've gotta go looking for the others. 

Yeah there used to be 4 icons in the top right hand corner but now there's only 3

3 minutes ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Found a way to log in eventually by replying to a topic. The normal log in option has totally disappeared at my end.

Unfortunately there doesn't yet appear to be any inkling of how to log out.

"Brighouse, we have a problem" 😕

Why do you need to log out ?

25 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Why do you need to log out ?

because on a shared computer other people may stumble upon the fact you frequently visit embarrassing websites full of titiliflacous content such as total rl 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

13 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Still can't see where to log in or out? 🤔🤔

Nope, I first went on the forum today at about 7, nothing changed. Go on again about 30 minutes ago on my tablet and a bar appears across the bottom saying I have 3 notifications from 12 hours ago. Didn't tell me that on my phone though. Only way I can access them is by scrolling right to the bottom of the page to the list of online members, clicking on my own name and finding them on my profile page. Bit of a faff doing that everytime and having to go back on there to check each individual notification. 

Edit. Of course, good chance you won't even realise I just replied to you cos there nowhere for it to inform you of this. 

Hopefully we might get some information soon that the referenced problems have been acknowledged and what remedial action may be forthcoming.

Seems most of the concerns relate to mobile phones?

My version of the forum is all over the place at the moment.

I'm confident it'll get sorted out in due course 👍

Thanks for all the feedback!

I've noted the various bugs that have been encountered, and it seems they all have a common cause.

The upgrade made loads of automatic changes to the system, but left the old theme/design template in place, and this created loads of conflicts with the new theme, resulting in some weird looking pages in some browsers, and also bits of the main site menu disappearing completely in mobile browsers - hence people not being able to find the logging in or out options, etc.

The good news is I've binned off the old theme remnants completely now, and the new theme is the default setting for every user.

I've tested it in the mobile browsers I have at my disposal (Safari and Google Chrome on Apple iPhone) and it now works as it should - all the logging in/out options, PM and notifications are nestled in the top right hand corner if you tap on the little 'hamburger' icon (three horizontal lines).

I've tested it in Google Chrome, MSIE, Explorer on a PC and a Mac desktop, and all seems to be working ok on those too.

However, I did have to clear out the memory cache/temp internet files on each browser first in order to ensure it was pulling the latest theme details off the server and not still using remnants of the old one still stored in the local memory, so if you are still having any trouble, try that first, and close/restart your browser after you've cleared its memory too.

With regard to the adverts that are appearing under the first post in every thread, it's not actually 'new', as it should always have been there, it just didn't work properly in the old theme. Now it does work. Hurrah! I know ads on websites can be a bit annoying at times, but this is a free site, and the reason it is free is because it generates a bit of revenue for us through ad clicks, which enables us to pay for stuff like web hosting and funky forum software like this. So, please don't block them, if possible, as they are basically keeping this site alive. Thanks.

Archived