Jump to content

Sat 29 May: SL: Catalans Dragons v Wigan Warriors KO 18:00 (TV)


Who will win?  

34 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Catalans Dragons
      23
    • Wigan Warriors
      11

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/05/21 at 17:30

Recommended Posts


I hope the players step it up in this game as they did last season. We can debate if our 7 wins from 7 and 1st position in the league is warranted or simply masking bigger issues but one thing is for certain, we won't win this particular game without going up a couple of gears from the last three performances. Catalans have been really impressive recently and they have the power in the middle and class on the end of that to give us a pretty torrid night if we're not right on it. 

The team news will be very important. We really could do with Gildart, Leuluai, Isa and Smithies back in, to offset the huge loss of French and let us get players in their natural postions and Catalans will be hoping Sam Tomkins pulls through. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we play as well as we did against Cas, we should be fine. We are very hard to score a lot of points against, and have enough quality to score 20 points. Every game has been uncannily the same, but no one has got away from us in the league, and I can’t see that changing on Saturday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Catalans has Sam Tomkins on the pitch, and future French international star Arthur Mourgue on the bench, then Catalans has a good chance of winning this one.

Because Alrix da Costa is injured, Mourgue will replace Micky Mack when the latter is rested, and Catalans can cut holes in Wigan’s defence up the middle.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Big game this. Wigan top of the league but way off their best. Catalan impressive last week against Saints and previously at Hull. If Catalan can back up three in a row...

If Catalans can beat Wigan then they are top of the table and looking forward with confidence to a place at Old Trafford.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

If Catalans can beat Wigan then they are top of the table and looking forward with confidence to a place at Old Trafford.

Considering how flakey Catalans have been for 95% of their history, that's a very bold statement.

They could quite easily beat Wigan at the weekend and then lose their next 6 games.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wigan have a special link with the Catalans from their very first SL game in 2006 at Gilbert Brutus. 14 players have played for both sides. The Dragons played on the road here several times , twice in Montpellier and of course the unforgetable game in Barcelona which established a competion record of more than 31,000.

  • Like 3

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"  - Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."  - Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Si tu( Remi Casty) devais envoyer un fax au Président Guasch? " Un grand bravo pour ce que vous avez fait,et merci de m 'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure"

gallery_02-am31503_5b827265940b7_.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, audois said:

Wigan have a special link with the Catalans from their very first SL game in 2006 at Gilbert Brutus. 14 players have played for both sides. The Dragons played on the road here several times , twice in Montpellier and of course the unforgetable game in Barcelona which established a competion record of more than 31,000.

We have often been good guests, allowing the Cats to sell lots of tickets and then rolling over in the match itself. I suspect this year we will be very competitive indeed. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jim Prendle said:

Considering how flakey Catalans have been for 95% of their history, that's a very bold statement.

They could quite easily beat Wigan at the weekend and then lose their next 6 games.

James, you need to understand that  the time frame for considering the form of Catalans, or any other team, is not the entirety of their history, but this particular season. And in this particular season Catalans have not been flakey. Except for their performance against Warrington — when Craig Bellamy coached and Melbourne Storm experienced Englishman Gareth Widdop was successful in targeting and neutralizing Catalans’ attacking ace Sam Tomkins — the Catalans team has been consistently strong and resolute. 

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

James, you need to understand that  the time frame for considering the form of Catalans, or any other team, is not the entirety of their history, but this particular season. And in this particular season Catalans have not been flakey. Except for their performance against Warrington — when Craig Bellamy coached and Melbourne Storm experienced Englishman Gareth Widdop was successful in targeting and neutralizing Catalans’ attacking ace Sam Tomkins — the Catalans team has been consistently strong and resolute. 

So they’ve not been flakey, but they have been flakey. Please try to make your mind up.

I will ignore your obvious attempt at trolling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

So they’ve not been flakey, but they have been flakey. Please try to make your mind up.

I will ignore your obvious attempt at trolling.

I have made my mind up. You just don’t understand what I have written. That is a product of your personal challenges, not of any non-existent attempt at trolling by me.

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Cesar Rouge and Corentin Le Cam are in the 21 man squad for the game 

I get the feeling that Le cam could go either one of two ways playing 1st team rugby. He could be an absolute revelation or get found out very quickly and easily bullied.

Hope his off-loading game carries into the super league along with the kicking to his side aerial threat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/05/2021 at 07:39, barnyia said:

It's going to be a bit warm in perpignan on Saturday. Sunshine and 31 degrees forecast. 

A bit windy too, according to commentary, so kicking will be more important than usual.

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...