Jump to content

Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

Even if V’landys  is incorrect, it is very worrying because you just know that the NRL are doing EVERYTHING they can to torpedo the World Cup

The joke is here is that they come out with this hot air bout becoming an olympic sport, but don't want to take part in the RLWC. Somebody needs to tell them that most Oympics take part in the middle of the NRL season

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


In my opinion, non-partisan sports fan  viewers, don't give a damn whether teams are from Leigh, Batley, or even Outer Mongolia. How many Sky UK viewers of NRL know or care where Manly is, or Gold Coast? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Griff said:

Then the correct route would be to renegotiate their arrangements rather than stamp their feet and take their ball home.

They're not trying very hard, are they ?

The Kiwis and the Players association have been saying in this last week that they are waiting on final details about the “Bubble”

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JohnM said:

In my opinion, non-partisan sports fan  viewers, don't give a damn whether teams are from Leigh, Batley, or even Outer Mongolia. How many Sky UK viewers of NRL know or care where Manly is, or Gold Coast? 

That says everything about you.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

In my opinion, non-partisan sports fan  viewers, don't give a damn whether teams are from Leigh, Batley, or even Outer Mongolia. How many Sky UK viewers of NRL know or care where Manly is, or Gold Coast? 

Gold Coast is the old colonial name for Ghana, isn't it ?

  • Thanks 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The joke is here is that they come out with this hot air bout becoming an olympic sport, but don't want to take part in the RLWC. Somebody needs to tell them that most Oympics take part in the middle of the NRL season

Only an Olympic sport when the Olympics are in Australia 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Was that podcast recorded before or after that additional information was in the public domain?

The information release was after the podcast. Adapted to suit the needs of our SH “friends”.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Was that podcast recorded before or after that additional information was in the public domain?

It was last week 

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

The information release was after the podcast. Adapted to suit the needs of our SH “friends”.

You obviously are a  major decision maker and know what should be done.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Allora said:

Maybe they are not happy with the shared Hotel and Gym facilities.

Why would the Rugby League teams administrators   look at what the Union teams accept or approve?

They would look at what they are getting.

 

 

They'd be using Headingley's Leeds Beckett Uni Gym facilities. These are used by pro athletes all the time, for example Leeds United used them for their first days back in preseason a couple of weeks ago an England RL in a mid season training session perfectly well in a bio secure way. Indeed I believe the kiwis have been there regularly before 

It is a huge professional campus with multiple facilities within it. Asking them to close all of it down to anyone who is not the 30 odd man Kiwi travelling team would be unreasonable. Likewise hotels, what are they actually expecting beyond what everyone else says is acceptable?

Its all conjecture anyway, I hope those trial games are good!

So you are saying there was no isolation bubble at all?

Maybe that is why the Kiwis were worried?

I am neither for or against what has happened but some of the mad rubbish posted on this site in the last two days makes you wonder.

 

 

 

You do realise they wouldn't all be using the facilities at the same time don't you?

As an example, when I worked in Scotland I used a gym that was part of a Sport Scotland Facility, in the time that I was there it was used by, amongst others. Scotland FA, Glasgow Warriors RU, Scotland RL, British Sailing, British Gymnasts training for the Commonwealth games in Glasgow and several lower level football teams in pre-season, pretty sure I've missed some.

Even in normal times, the facilities such as pitches, changing facilities, and sports halls were for their exclusive use for the times they were allocated, even the gym and weight training areas were blocked out for 2 hour slots. There were times when individual athletes trained at the same time as the general public, but that seemed to be their choice

In the current circumstances I'd expect this to be even tighter, probably with cleaning regimes in place in between uses. I think what Tommy meant was the Kiwis would not get exclusive use for the duration of the world cup, that does not mean they will be mixing with all and sundry, but you seem to chose to portray it that way. 

  • Like 4

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

You do realise they wouldn't all be using the facilities at the same time don't you?

As an example, when I worked in Scotland I used a gym that was part of a Sport Scotland Facility, in the time that I was there it was used by, amongst others. Scotland FA, Glasgow Warriors RU, Scotland RL, British Sailing, British Gymnasts training for the Commonwealth games in Glasgow and several lower level football teams in pre-season, pretty sure I've missed some.

Even in normal times, the facilities such as pitches, changing facilities, and sports halls were for their exclusive use for the times they were allocated, even the gym and weight training areas were blocked out for 2 hour slots. There were times when individual athletes trained at the same time as the general public, but that seemed to be their choice

In the current circumstances I'd expect this to be even tighter, probably with cleaning regimes in place in between uses. I think what Tommy meant was the Kiwis would not get exclusive use for the duration of the world cup, that does not mean they will be mixing with all and sundry, but you seem to chose to portray it that way. 

Exactly 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The super tuff NRL players are obviously not as tuff as their Union and Olympic fellow Australians 

TARTS 

Tough guy.

You still as tough when some ones close to you dies,

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Allora said:

Tough guy.

You still as tough when some ones close to you dies,

What , you think I don't know people who've died and been very ill through Covid ? 

Bunch of Tarts , get vaccinated and come over , or are you going to exile yourselves for eternity , this virus isn't going away , live with it ,or live alone in fear for the rest of your lives 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

You do realise they wouldn't all be using the facilities at the same time don't you?

As an example, when I worked in Scotland I used a gym that was part of a Sport Scotland Facility, in the time that I was there it was used by, amongst others. Scotland FA, Glasgow Warriors RU, Scotland RL, British Sailing, British Gymnasts training for the Commonwealth games in Glasgow and several lower level football teams in pre-season, pretty sure I've missed some.

Even in normal times, the facilities such as pitches, changing facilities, and sports halls were for their exclusive use for the times they were allocated, even the gym and weight training areas were blocked out for 2 hour slots. There were times when individual athletes trained at the same time as the general public, but that seemed to be their choice

In the current circumstances I'd expect this to be even tighter, probably with cleaning regimes in place in between uses. I think what Tommy meant was the Kiwis would not get exclusive use for the duration of the world cup, that does not mean they will be mixing with all and sundry, but you seem to chose to portray it that way. 

So you hope someone wipes down the weight bench before your session.

That is not a Bubble at all.

Its a random joint use of a Gym with the hope that the basic pay cleaners are doing more than they are getting paid to do.

Good luck with that.
You wonder why AUS and NZ do not want  to visit Visit Covid Island.

Edited by Allora
  • Confused 1

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Allora said:

So you hope someone wipes down the weight bench before your session.

That is not a Bubble at all.

Its a random joint use of a Gym with the hope that the basic pay cleaners are doing more than they are getting to do.

You wonder why AUS and NZ do not want  to visit Visit Covid Island.

You really haven't read what I said, or deliberately ignored it, discussion becomes pointless when it gets to that.

  • Like 2

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

Tough guy.

You still as tough when some ones close to you dies,

Are you sure you are neither for or against?

To recap, the A/NRL want to cancel this year’s World Cup, and gave the organisers 4 minutes notice that was their intention, bringing NZRL with them. They had asked for a set of COVID protocols, which have been given to them: there is ample precedent for these measures working (particularly when allied with the offer of vaccines). They did not ask the players. They have idly suggested that maybe 2022, lolz, without addressing the pretty much insurmountable barriers. They know the impact that cancelling the event will have on the rest of the world game, because their directors have spent the last 5 years sitting through monthly board meetings on the subject. This is all in the public domain. 

It is purely us and them - they unilaterally announced their withdrawal in a manner which they knew would cause the maximum damage to the international game, with no Plan B, and having had their concerns specifically addressed. They aren’t even bothering to address any of those points. Their behaviour by any measure is actively hostile to every other rugby league playing nation, and seemingly many of their own players. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Simple: Nine and Fox don't want an upstart like SportsFlick entering the market. The NRL changed their rules for Nine and Fox and took the games off their own platforms to placate them. Nine and Fox run rugby league in Australia.

Also the IRL want to commercialise their calendar. That means getting sponsors from event to event like other international sports and selling TV rights like other international sports. This is a threat to the NRL, who see the sport of rugby league as their exclusive commercial domain. So they are sabotaging the IRL and have already started recruiting people to value it for a hostile takeover.  

Edited by steavis
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Allora said:

You can do one mate.

Australia  and NZ can make their own minds up.

.

NZRL signed a Participation Agreement. They then joined A/NRL in the 4 minutes notice announcement. I am not sure they have made their own minds up, to be honest. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The ARLC and the NRL do not want to be part of the WC regardless of any perceived health issues. They have also been economical with the truth on player opinions and other matters. The fact is the COVID situation is simply a convenient untruth (to reverse Al Gore's famous line).

  • Like 5

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake locked and unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...