Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

Just now, Johnoco said:

I don't know why some people are trying to give credence to the covid angle (correction, I know exactly why they do it but anyway) as it's just a brilliant excuse to avoid it, which they were hoping to do anyway. You could tell from the half assed job they made of the 2017 WC that it isn't a big deal to them. 

That’s exactly it.. it’s all about disruption to the precious nrl.. no more no less. Get all players into other teams and let’s see their true colours. 

• Like 1

Just now, Johnoco said:

I don't know why some people are trying to give credence to the covid angle (correction, I know exactly why they do it but anyway) as it's just a brilliant excuse to avoid it, which they were hoping to do anyway. You could tell from the half assed job they made of the 2017 WC that it isn't a big deal to them. 

Given how many cases there’s been in Super League and subsequent cancellations, I can see why they’d want no part of the competition unless plenty of conditions were met. We’re told they were met, which is then disappointing that they’ve then made this decision and even more frustrating that they gave four minutes notice and didn’t consult their players. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Given how many cases there’s been in Super League and subsequent cancellations, I can see why they’d want no part of the competition unless plenty of conditions were met. We’re told they were met, which is then disappointing that they’ve then made this decision and even more frustrating that they gave four minutes notice and didn’t consult their players. 

If, they had come out earlier and said they had concerns about covid and they weren't sure about players safety, then this would have been understandable. But we know that there was another agenda at play and hiding behind the covid reason is just a cop out. 

We're going to have to learn to live with it, so are Australia. Do they never tour again? The UK will probably be pretty much back to normal come Oct/Nov, even if there are still infections. However I could still understand they might not take my word for it and might require slightly more proof. But this isn't the reason why they aren't coming.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

And the way they are trying to duck out of hosting the 2025 world cup and lump it on France. Great for the game if it comes off, and I completely support France getting it if they can get the funding, but let's not kid ourselves that the NRL are pushing it only because they do not want to host it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

And the way they are trying to duck out of hosting the 2025 world cup and lump it on France. Great for the game if it comes off, and I completely support France getting it if they can get the funding, but let's not kid ourselves that the NRL are pushing it only because they do not want to host it.

They dont want a world cup as a stronger global game makes them loose power over the game

• Like 3

The Australians for some time have talked about playing their beloved Origin in the UK. Maybe a little negotiation on this could see them do a U-turn if not they can kiss goodbye playing it in the UK in the future.

• Like 2

The Key thing now is the pressure thats applied to players of other nations. They are essential to the tournament taking place or not now.

Would also be good for some of our UK RL Journo's to get some comment from the English based NRL players. As all questions and comment currently is coming from Australia, who, naturally, are only asking certain questions.

• Like 4

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just now, rlno1 said:

The Australians for some time have talked about playing their beloved Origin in the UK. Maybe a little negotiation on this could see them do a U-turn if not they can kiss goodbye playing it in the UK in the future.

They’ve never seriously debated Origin in England. 

• Like 1

The way the NRL are going about this makes me think their plan for international RL is a Tri-Nations series - of New Zealand, New South Wales and Queensland.

On a serious note though, one point that nobody seems to have mentioned is that not only does this harm top level international sides, but It's a complete kick in the balls for sides like Jamaica and Serbia, not only in that they have enthusiastic coaches and supporters who built their teams and the game's presence in these countries from virtually nothing, but for the players who, in the case of the domestic Jamaican players for example, are living in rough areas and most likely in financially tough situations, if not outright poverty. This could go for domestic Easetern European and Lebanese players also.

What was the appeal of RL? The same thing that motivates someone to chase a football or NFL dream - here's a sport that just might offer a way out to something better. I remember someone posted the interview with the Jamaican RL head when they qualified for the WC and the theme he kept hammering home was that here was a chance to make something of yourself, potentially have an overseas career, if nothing else, everyone could see YOU representing the nation.

And now all that is potentially taken away because Gus Fool and Peter V'Wankdys think the world ends not at the borders of Australia, but at the internal state borders of Queensland and NSW.

I could see some of the developing nations thinking "why should we even bother any more?"

• Like 8

1 minute ago, MidlandsJohn said:

The way the NRL are going about this makes me think their plan for international RL is a Tri-Nations series - of New Zealand, New South Wales and Queensland.

On a serious note though, one point that nobody seems to have mentioned is that not only does this harm top level international sides, but It's a complete kick in the balls for sides like Jamaica and Serbia, not only in that they have enthusiastic coaches and supporters who built their teams and the game's presence in these countries from virtually nothing, but for the players who, in the case of the domestic Jamaican players for example, are living in rough areas and most likely in financially tough situations, if not outright poverty. This could go for domestic Easetern European and Lebanese players also.

What was the appeal of RL? The same thing that motivates someone to chase a football or NFL dream - here's a sport that just might offer a way out to something better. I remember someone posted the interview with the Jamaican RL head when they qualified for the WC and the theme he kept hammering home was that here was a chance to make something of yourself, potentially have an overseas career, if nothing else, everyone could see YOU representing the nation.

And now all that is potentially taken away because Gus Fool and Peter V'Wankdys think the world ends not at the borders of Australia, but at the internal state borders of Queensland and NSW.

I could see some of the developing nations thinking "why should we even bother any more?"

Precisely. 

It's not just the bigger teams affected, how gutting will it be for players in the Jamaican squad (and especially their great coach Romeo Monteith) to see this happening? 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

I guess everything depends on Samoa, Tonga & Fiji now. 

If Tonga dont come and play games down under instead I cant see how Woolf could come back to St Helens and not be a laughing stock, his reputation would be in tatters regardless of what else he wins in the NH. His position would become untenable

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I would tend to agree that SL covid cancellations/postponements would be a key observation. If SL clubs had been much stricter in containing the risk however difficult for the players that would surely have been a more positive observation.

In the world cup for a period surely the players would be cocooned to a better degree but difficult to show that when SL players seemed to so easily pick up covid.

Could use magic weekend to demonstrate how covid risk would be mitigated by  having the players effectively protected/quarantined to a degree to ensure no problems for that weekend.. 

If any games are effected at the Magic weekend then I would have more sympathy  with the Aussies.

Those NRL players that come out and play for their nations should be treated with enormous respect - as they will have done so despite pressure from their clubs to pick up a "knock" or blame Covid concerns for not travelling.

Those who would have played for Oz/NZ and opt to play for other countries to participate in a WC should be given a hero's reception - as it will be they who best encapsulate the hollow "player protection" excuse that is being pushed by the ARLC and NZRL.

My concern is that the arrangement of alternative Australia / NZ internationals at the time of the WC is designed specifically to combat this risk and will ensure that we don't see the players representing other nations.  I could even see the Australians picking an unusually large squad and naming three different teams in such a series just to spite the IRL - it's their style.

• Like 5

Just out of interest has anyone listened to the latest podcast of BBC 5 Live?
It was said that the New Zealand team would be sharing accomodation with general members of the pubic if they toured and were sharing Gym facilities with all and sundry walk ins.

I do not know if that is true but if it is it’s hardly any sort of safe bubble where you would feel safe.

Just saying.

• Haha 1

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

22 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

This reminds me of the Super League War

Yes. It's nothing more than a crude power-grab by a couple of old men in their declining years. 

• Like 1

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Isaac Asimov

8 minutes ago, Allora said:

Just out of interest has anyone listened to the latest podcast of BBC 5 Live?
It was said that the New Zealand team would be sharing accomodation with general members of the pubic if they toured and were sharing Gym facilities with all and sundry walk ins.

I do not know if that is true but if it is it’s hardly any sort of safe bubble where you would feel safe.

Just saying.

Who were saying this, official WC co-ordinators?

21 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I would tend to agree that SL covid cancellations/postponements would be a key observation. If SL clubs had been much stricter in containing the risk however difficult for the players that would surely have been a more positive observation.

In the world cup for a period surely the players would be cocooned to a better degree but difficult to show that when SL players seemed to so easily pick up covid.

Could use magic weekend to demonstrate how covid risk would be mitigated by  having the players effectively protected/quarantined to a degree to ensure no problems for that weekend.. 

If any games are effected at the Magic weekend then I would have more sympathy  with the Aussies.

This is now, not October.

And remember all this pinging stuff is not that all those pinged have been infected, just that they keep in quarantine just in case.

• John Drake changed the title to Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)
  • John Drake locked this topic
  • John Drake unlocked this topic
  • John Drake locked and unlocked this topic