Rugby League World Cup 2021 (Merged Threads)

14 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

There is already a precedent for this in the IRL too with Tonga playing as the Tonga Invitational XIII in the last Oceania cup/GB Tour. 

As much as I like the idea of Indigenous and Maori teams, I do think the opportunity has to be there for the Aussies and Kiwis that aren't qualified for that who want to come but can't too. Perhaps if they go with invitational 13s then the kits could reflect the Maori/Indigenous aspects. Thinking top half Green and Gold vs with bottom half Indigenous design for example.

The NZ Maori team from the 2000 World Cup is an even better precedent. 

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Who would dare stand up to them would be more of a question?

whers richard branson when u need him?

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Insurance hasn't been raised by the ARL/NZRL so these are probably covered by the IRL/World Cup or existing policy T&Cs as the WC is a sanctioned event with teams approved by them as the recognised governing body. A rebel Aus v NZ series this autumn possibly would raise insurance issues however as it would be unsanctioned by the IRL.

So if Latrelle, Manu, Walker, Addo-Carr and Fischer-Harris all got injuries at the RLWC, representing Indigenous and Maori, that ruled them out of playing in 2022 NRL season, you are saying that the RLWC insurers will payout for the treatment and contracted earnings of those players for the entire time those players are injured?

If not, then I anticipate this is the risk to players that V’landys will be quietly presenting to any ringleaders of a rebel team.

You can just imagine the conversation a few years from now.

"Hello. We're the Australian Olympic Committee and we'd like to have Rugby League in the 2032 Olympics."

"Are you the fellas who couldn't even be bothered to turn up for your own World Cup?"

"Yes, that's us."

"Well, no then."

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

21 minutes ago, Griff said:

"Hello. We're the Australian Olympic Committee and we'd like to have Rugby League in the 2032 Olympics."

"Are you the fellas who couldn't even be bothered to turn up for your own World Cup?"

"Yes, that's us."

"Well, no then."

Sadly if I were the IOC that is exactly how the conversation would be going.. as it would with any sport where this happened. 

• Like 4

I wish we had read all these comments before recording last night's show on the subject 🙄😁

Sorry for bumping, if I could ask posters to click the link and like the video please🙏 Our host, Dockhouse media have a network of shows, the more likes, comments, subscribes we get the more rugby shows they will allow us to record.🎙️

It may not be the best but any RL 🏉 show trying to raise the profile of the sport is hopefully contributing to a better future even if in a really small way.

So please take a few minutes to click ☑️ like, comment ⌨️and add to this fascinating topic 

And we still believe the show WC 🏆 must go on 😄

Edit: link to podcast version, also on other podcast providers.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/is-rlwc-2021-in-doubt-due-to-pomdemic-rugby-league-world-cup/id1561271271?i=1000530205090

Edited by David Dockhouse Host
Podcast addition
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Griff said:

"Yes, that's us."

"Well, no then."

It's quite a scary thought, the more I consider this the more harm it does to our overall credibility.

It's laughable how bad it looks, you couldn't imagine this happening in RU!!!!!

58 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

So if Latrelle, Manu, Walker, Addo-Carr and Fischer-Harris all got injuries at the RLWC, representing Indigenous and Maori, that ruled them out of playing in 2022 NRL season, you are saying that the RLWC insurers will payout for the treatment and contracted earnings of those players for the entire time those players are injured?

If not, then I anticipate this is the risk to players that V’landys will be quietly presenting to any ringleaders of a rebel team.

No, I'm saying as this is an official sanctioned event with official sanctioned teams. If indigenous teams get approval from IRL then there will be valid insurance policies in place somewhere, this may be via club policies, the RLWC, the IRL, or a combination.

That might change of course if ARL/NZRL withdraw from the IRL, but they haven't and are not threatening to do so.

If there was no insurance the ARL/NZRL would currently be screaming it from the rooftops right now, despite Gould's buffoonery they are not idiots.

Even if they weren't doing so, then the RLPA would have made it clearly known as representatives of the players best interests.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I wish we had read all these comments before recording last night's show on the subject 🙄😁

Sorry for bumping, if I could ask posters to click the link and like the video please🙏 Our host, Dockhouse media have a network of shows, the more likes, comments, subscribes we get the more rugby shows they will allow us to record.🎙️

It may not be the best but any RL 🏉 show trying to raise the profile of the sport is hopefully contributing to a better future even if in a really small way.

So please take a few minutes to click ☑️ like, comment ⌨️and add to this fascinating topic 

And we still believe the show WC 🏆 must go on 😄

Well, now you have consulted the fountain of all RL knowledge and wisdom known as the TotalRL forum you can do another episode. Keep at it mate, more you do of anything the better you get. Advise plugging your show as being on a podcast as well as YouTube when promoting it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Damien said:

I want the World Cup to proceed now more than anything. The attitude of the NRL, V'landys and people like Gould over the last week has convinced me that you cannot appease these people and attempts to do so will be disastrous for the game in the long run

I would be gutted if its postponed. Taumalolo's support is huge, to the extent that I think it could get all PI nations on board. We certainly need to make it worthwhile for them to say yes. If they are on board then the World Cup simply has to proceed this year and if it does it will be great. 

Totally agree … postponement is a non-starter for me and Troy Grant has already pretty much said cancellation would happen over postponement.

The IRL and the fans MUST stand up to these bullies, who will just as easily pull this stunt next year. And besides, postponement will give the NRL the excuse to organise their own international RL games …

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

This is all good thought provoking debate. I hadn't really considered the insurance of the players and impact on NRL.

Can anyone explain what happened when all the tongan lads decided to play for tonga and not nz and aus; who covered the insurance?

Remember when Thomas Leuluai broke his leg playing for the Exiles; who covered his insurance?

Edited by thebrewxi
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Well, now you have consulted the fountain of all RL knowledge and wisdom known as the TotalRL forum you can do another episode. Keep at it mate, more you do of anything the better you get. Advise plugging your show as being on a podcast as well as YouTube when promoting it.

Thanks, appreciate your comments 👍 Dockhouse media really like the video format, we like both, I love podcasts they work well with the content IMO

6 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

Gareth Walker reckons no decision until Monday 

So I don't know whether to think,

"Great, this means they're going hell bent on getting the tournament on this year, and are just tying up loose ends as far as player commitments from the 14 confirmed teams, and working out who the two new teams will be and getting player commitments from them, and/or giving the ARLC/NZRL one final chance to get on board."

OR:

"Oh no, they might be trying to work out if they CAN hold it next year" – a decision which I think is disastrous and fraught with dangerous consequences.

OR:

"Oh no, it's one final shot and getting RLWC 2021 off the ground, but they're resigned to cancellation" – a decision which is definitely disastrous.

32 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

No, I'm saying as this is an official sanctioned event with official sanctioned teams. If indigenous teams get approval from IRL then there will be valid insurance policies in place somewhere, this may be via club policies, the RLWC, the IRL, or a combination.

That might change of course if ARL/NZRL withdraw from the IRL, but they haven't and are not threatening to do so.

If there was no insurance the ARL/NZRL would currently be screaming it from the rooftops right now, despite Gould's buffoonery they are not idiots.

Even if they weren't doing so, then the RLPA would have made it clearly known as representatives of the players best interests.

Sounds plausible. Another plausible situation may be that NRL insurance policies are only valid for participants of international fixtures playing in international sides.

Without the lobbying of the NRL prior,  Indigenous and Maori may not satisfy the insurance criteria if they are not operating under the governance of the NRL and NZRL respectively.

• Haha 1

What I can't fathom is why did NZ sign the participation agreement a week before pulling out?

You are not just sending a rsvp to a mates 21st party - you are agreeing to participate in a competition thats had millions of dollars pumped into it.

If they were unsure just sit on the fence but  don't be two faced & embarrass your sport worldwide.

I wonder in hindsight they wished they stayed out of this so all the pressure would of just been directed at Australia.

They have done themselves no favors either for future tournaments. They can play Australia in a 50 test match series as far as I care.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

So I don't know whether to think,

"Great, this means they're going hell bent on getting the tournament on this year, and are just tying up loose ends as far as player commitments from the 14 confirmed teams, and working out who the two new teams will be and getting player commitments from them, and/or giving the ARLC/NZRL one final chance to get on board."

OR:

"Oh no, they might be trying to work out if they CAN hold it next year" – a decision which I think is disastrous and fraught with dangerous consequences.

OR:

"Oh no, it's one final shot and getting RLWC 2021 off the ground, but they're resigned to cancellation" – a decision which is definitely disastrous.

Reads like number 1 to me, going ahead but giving the ARL and NZRL every opportunity to come back on board, I'm sure the RLWC are talking to them behind the scenes. Well, talking to the ARL, the gutless NZRL poodle will just follow their lead.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Matterhorn said:

What I can't fathom is why did NZ sign the participation agreement a week before pulling out?

You are not just sending a rsvp to a mates 21st party - you are agreeing to participate in a competition thats had millions of dollars pumped into it.

If they were unsure just sit on the fence but  don't be two faced & embarrass your sport worldwide.

I wonder in hindsight they wished they stayed out of this so all the pressure would of just been directed at Australia.

They have done themselves no favors either for future tournaments. They can play Australia in a 50 test match series as far as I care.

NZRL are just more scared of upsetting the bullies at the NRL than upsetting the IRL.

• Like 1

Yes I know NZRL rely on handouts from Australia. The % of games played in Australia in the last 20 years between aus v nz would be at least over 70%. Always use an Australian referee. Some key players of NZ somehow get a suspension before the test matches - case Nelson Asofo-Solomono as a Melbourne player in season ending trip in bali gets suspended from test matches but is free for club matches next year.

I just don't know why they didn't chase a 3 test match series against Tonga.

And don't start me on rep games being suspended during SOO2 this year during the w/end specifically set aside for it.

• Like 1