Jump to content

Crusaders’ excellent season


Recommended Posts


14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I see Crusaders lie in third in League 1 with a 66.67% win record (ten wins, five defeats). 

That is some improvement…what’s the story? 

No great surprise. When they are at full strength they are as good as anyone. Big strong pack, some great centres and probably the best back 3 in the league. If they keep everyone fit they have a great chance of promotion 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I see Crusaders lie in third in League 1 with a 66.67% win record (ten wins, five defeats). 

That is some improvement…what’s the story? 

Since Ethan O'Hanlon and Matty Race have joined on loan from Bradford believe they are unbeaten. One is a prop other is a HB.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I see Crusaders lie in third in League 1 with a 66.67% win record (ten wins, five defeats). 

That is some improvement…what’s the story? 

Imagine if a French team won the Super League, another French team won the Championship and a Welsh team won the League One Grand Final, could well happen, gotta love expansion of the game.

Edited by Sir Kevin Sinfield
  • Like 20
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I think it's the cumulation of a lot of hard work over a number of years to get where we are now.... it took many years of being in recovery after the dodgy CEO was found out.  The hardship of those years has given the club a resilience, and now the on-field performances are building nicely to reflect that effort and dedication.

The enforced move away from the Racecourse and landing at Queensway didn't help, it was (and still is) very basic, and it lost us many fans. The move this year to Colwyn Bay can be a bit of a drag for the journey when you're used to home games 10 mins down the road but it is a much better home for the club. Queensway was soulless, but Stadiwm Zipworld is bringing back the atmosphere we enjoyed at the Racecourse. I think this has helped the overall feeling both on and off the pitch.   

The current squad is the best we've had in some years, and they are pulling together very well on the pitch. They're playing much more as a team, backing each other up, and the combinations are clicking nicely. It's a good mix of long-term Cru, new signings and yes a couple of loanees, but when they're out there together on the pitch they look and play like a team.

 

The future's looking brighter in Cru-land 🙂 

  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

In fact, it's reached the stage where I'm thinking of driving up to Keighley next week.

You're not the only one....I went on the bus up there for the playoff game a few years back, if I go it'll be in the car this time 🙂

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, clwydianrange said:

They’re both doing very well. Ethan is a beast. Can we keep them please.

Haha.... ermmm... no

Glad they are doing well, and great to see Crusaders on the up. Hope to see you guys in the Champ next yeat

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Haha.... ermmm... no

Glad they are doing well, and great to see Crusaders on the up. Hope to see you guys in the Champ next yeat

Colwyn bay is a highly attractive day out 

Especially for people looking for a stay cation and a rugby league game. 

 

 

The ground by all accounts is really good, plus North Wales or the Cru have put down some real roots with community clubs 

The fact they can call on players from established rugby league areas is a major positive as demonstrated by a number of very good amatures they have picked up. 

Kenny Baker at my own team widnes was brought into the pro game by the crusaders and he is arguably our best forward this season. 

I may make a few visits. 

Nip to the toad for lunch 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Imagine if a French team won the Super League, another French team won the Championship and a Welsh team won the League One Grand Final, could well happen, gotta love expansion of the game.

Sorry - no positive thoughts allowed this year…

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went to few games at Bridgend and Wrexham, but had my first trip to watch Cru in Colwyn Bay yesterday and it was absolutely excellent. Very nice ground, good flowing rugby and really great fans.

Having watched the souless and depressing efforts by Wigan this year it was a breath of fresh air to watch this game and be reminded what confidence and team spirit means.

Can't make Keighly sadly as I'll be in Newcastle watching Wigan get massacred by Wire but plan to head back for the Skolars game in 2 weeks and then the playoff games.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/08/2021 at 22:05, Bulls2487 said:

Since Ethan O'Hanlon and Matty Race have joined on loan from Bradford believe they are unbeaten. One is a prop other is a HB.

I was talking to a gentleman sat near me at the Keighley game a few weeks ago. He turned out to be Ethan's dad, and he said that he was loving it here.

The two lads are having a great time, and by helping us they are helping themselves which is exactly the attitude you want from lone players, you can't ask for any more than that.

  • Like 3

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay;  My, oh, my, what a wonderful day,

Plenty of sunshine headin' our way;  At Stadiwm Zip World, Colwyn Bay!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/08/2021 at 11:46, FearNothing said:

Personally, I think it's the cumulation of a lot of hard work over a number of years to get where we are now.... it took many years of being in recovery after the dodgy CEO was found out.  The hardship of those years has given the club a resilience, and now the on-field performances are building nicely to reflect that effort and dedication.

The enforced move away from the Racecourse and landing at Queensway didn't help, it was (and still is) very basic, and it lost us many fans. The move this year to Colwyn Bay can be a bit of a drag for the journey when you're used to home games 10 mins down the road but it is a much better home for the club. Queensway was soulless, but Stadiwm Zipworld is bringing back the atmosphere we enjoyed at the Racecourse. I think this has helped the overall feeling both on and off the pitch.   

The current squad is the best we've had in some years, and they are pulling together very well on the pitch. They're playing much more as a team, backing each other up, and the combinations are clicking nicely. It's a good mix of long-term Cru, new signings and yes a couple of loanees, but when they're out there together on the pitch they look and play like a team.

 

The future's looking brighter in Cru-land 🙂 

You sum things up really well in that post.

It has been a five year journey to where we are now. Like many others, I honestly thought we had lost the club in early 2016, which as you say is when the dodgy CEO was found out. He left us with a big loan to pay back to the RFL, which resulted in having to give back a big chunk of the central funding for nearly three years. Then the Wrexham Supporters Trust priced us out of returning to the Racecourse because they didn't want us there, so we have had more than our share of adversity.

We are so lucky to have an amazing group of people on the board, who are all fans of the club, as well as an incredibly loyal band of players and coaching staff, who have all worked tirelessly to keep the club afloat and bring us to where we are now. We have had fans on the turnstiles, running the bars, setting up the ground on match days, stewarding, and putting their hands in their pockets to secure the signings of key players.

The move to Colwyn Bay is the big breakthrough we have all been longing for and the club is looking more professional by the day. For everyone associated with the club, it's a great feeling to be part of this wonderful story, and right now we are enjoying every minute of it!

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay;  My, oh, my, what a wonderful day,

Plenty of sunshine headin' our way;  At Stadiwm Zip World, Colwyn Bay!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Crusaders don't get up this season they face the prospect of getting their L1 central funding of £75k slashed and the removal of the travel grant. Now that is how you support green shoots of expansion all right!

Good luck to them. A fantastic club that has shown tremendous resilience. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fearnowt said:

I was talking to a gentleman sat near me at the Keighley game a few weeks ago. He turned out to be Ethan's dad, and he said that he was loving it here.

The two lads are having a great time, and by helping us they are helping themselves which is exactly the attitude you want from lone players, you can't ask for any more than that.

I was talking to Matty Races parents at the last couple of games. The travelling for training from Wakefield twice a week is a struggle but he’s loving his time here playing and more importantly learning his trade.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fearnowt said:

I was talking to a gentleman sat near me at the Keighley game a few weeks ago. He turned out to be Ethan's dad, and he said that he was loving it here.

The two lads are having a great time, and by helping us they are helping themselves which is exactly the attitude you want from lone players, you can't ask for any more than that.

That's good to know. I am thinking of attending the Keighley game this weekend to see how they get on. You can't puts them in shop window for a permanent move or to play for Bulls next season.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, fearnowt said:

You sum things up really well in that post.

It has been a five year journey to where we are now. Like many others, I honestly thought we had lost the club in early 2016, which as you say is when the dodgy CEO was found out. He left us with a big loan to pay back to the RFL, which resulted in having to give back a big chunk of the central funding for nearly three years. Then the Wrexham Supporters Trust priced us out of returning to the Racecourse because they didn't want us there, so we have had more than our share of adversity.

We are so lucky to have an amazing group of people on the board, who are all fans of the club, as well as an incredibly loyal band of players and coaching staff, who have all worked tirelessly to keep the club afloat and bring us to where we are now. We have had fans on the turnstiles, running the bars, setting up the ground on match days, stewarding, and putting their hands in their pockets to secure the signings of key players.

The move to Colwyn Bay is the big breakthrough we have all been longing for and the club is looking more professional by the day. For everyone associated with the club, it's a great feeling to be part of this wonderful story, and right now we are enjoying every minute of it!

Great story, of triumph over adversity.

I love the Zip a dee doo dah song too.

The whole package is delightfully un-Rugby League. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, fearnowt said:

The move to Colwyn Bay is the big breakthrough we have all been longing for and the club is looking more professional by the day. For everyone associated with the club, it's a great feeling to be part of this wonderful story, and right now we are enjoying every minute of it!

Great story mate but out of interest what are the long-term ambitions of a club like your own, is there any chat around the club.

I know zilch about the population centres of Wales but if your club wanted one day to progress further up the British Rugby League ladder would where you are currently based be able to support a Super League team ? Would you have to move again or maybe you would just be content to be a League One or Championship side. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/08/2021 at 12:19, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

In fact, it's reached the stage where I'm thinking of driving up to Keighley next week.

Or come on the Supporters bus...Its been reduced to £10 to fill it up! We leave from the Turf at 10:30. email crufans@gmail.com to book your place!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Great story mate but out of interest what are the long-term ambitions of a club like your own, is there any chat around the club.

I know zilch about the population centres of Wales but if your club wanted one day to progress further up the British Rugby League ladder would where you are currently based be able to support a Super League team ? Would you have to move again or maybe you would just be content to be a League One or Championship side. 

Thats a really good question - When Crusaders RL first came to North Wales as a super league team we had some great attendances in the Racecourse Stadium in Wrexham. Our first game got 10,600 and the average for that season was around 9,000. We had a great year and got to the SL playoffs and were unlucky to loose at Huddersfield. We lost Brian Noble and had apoor second seson with attendances declining to about 5, 000. So SL is doable but in my opinion would mean moving back to Wrexham Racecourse.

The Zip World Stadium could easily cope with Championship and we could get some great gates with the likes of Featherstone and Bradford Bulls visiting. I think thats doable and would be a great step forward for Crusaders. Unfortunately the year we did get promoted to the Championship we got restructured out of it! When your trying to set budgets and ambitions there no taking into account the RFL pulling the rug from underneath you!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Great story mate but out of interest what are the long-term ambitions of a club like your own, is there any chat around the club.

I know zilch about the population centres of Wales but if your club wanted one day to progress further up the British Rugby League ladder would where you are currently based be able to support a Super League team ? Would you have to move again or maybe you would just be content to be a League One or Championship side. 

That’s an excellent observation mate.

As far as ambitions are concerned we are happy to be in existence after all the trouble we’ve had. We’ll try to get to the championship and see what happens.

The population is a handicap in my opinion. North Wales is sparsely populated when compared to most other rugby league teams. This obviously has an adverse affect on support and players. We are trying to establish community clubs to get more folks playing the game and hopefully feed in to the team. In the past we have had a few locals play for us but we are reliant on giving opportunities to players from the amateur teams in Lancashire. This has uncovered some gems and shows the strengths of getting kids playing at a young age.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...