Superleague TV audience figures through the roof.

Davo5

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of things. Surely this suggests that we don't have a major issue as a TV spectator sport. The value sky are paying is more ruthless nowadays and basically reflects that they have no competition. But I think we should have confidence that our figures are strong and we don't need to change everything. 

Also, it is frustrating that a supposed partner like Sky are taking such a hard stance to a sport that pretty much keeps one of their channels afloat and provides a lot of viewers during Summer.

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

It is good news. I'm going to try and find a version that doesn't just splurge everything out so you're not quite sure how all the points relate to each other but it is good news.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm always slightly wary of stuff like this - for example when celebrating increased averages is it not likely that in the last few years the averages were a bit suppressed by things like Catalan Saturday afternoon games and however they decide to measure middle 8s.

This next line though is undoubtedly positive and seemingly can't be challenged and is indeed great news - 

More games than ever before broke the 200,000-viewer mark.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

A couple of things. Surely this suggests that we don't have a major issue as a TV spectator sport. The value sky are paying is more ruthless nowadays and basically reflects that they have no competition. But I think we should have confidence that our figures are strong and we don't need to change everything. 

Also, it is frustrating that a supposed partner like Sky are taking such a hard stance to a sport that pretty much keeps one of their channels afloat and provides a lot of viewers during Summer.

This is a bit of RL insularity though.

The only exceptions to hardball tactics/reduced offers from broadcasters are sports whose rights didn't really exist before. So women's soccer now has a multi-million pound deal, The Hundred has a deal but even the Premier League is seeing a squeeze on income from broadcasters and missing targets on broadcast income.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Great news

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

33 minutes ago, M j M said:

This next line though is undoubtedly positive and seemingly can't be challenged and is indeed great news - 

More games than ever before broke the 200,000-viewer mark.

And, as the next line in the article says,  involving 10 different clubs. So we don't need to keep repeating the 'big' clashes to attract an audience.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Obviously good news but I will echo the response to this over on Twitter - how come the TV deal is less is the sport is attracting more viewers?

Because sky have lost so many subscribers but still need to pay £££ for football?

17 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Obviously good news but I will echo the response to this over on Twitter - how come the TV deal is less is the sport is attracting more viewers?

Value of the market?

I don't know how much science goes into it from Sky but I'd imagine its increasing.

20 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Because it's going down for all sports even those with increasing viewing figures.

40 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

In part because it is now September and the new deal was signed in April. Negotiations will have been based on previous viewing figures, not these.

Now, with some good news from season 2021 and a successful '21 World Cup we would have been in a very strong position for a negotiation when the current 2 year deal expires.  The timing of the World Cup at the end of the 2022 season is not perfect now but we still appear to be developing a stronger hand.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

So why has the value of the deal gone down 

The sky deal is also costing millions in loss attendance fugures and match day sales 

3 minutes ago, The storm said:

So why has the value of the deal gone down 

For the third time and I will keep saying it BECAUSE IT ISN'T JUST RUGBY LEAGUE but virtually all sports are seeing virtually all their deals take a hit.

Archived