Jump to content

Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)


Recommended Posts


4 minutes ago, crashmon said:

when your paying 250K a year for the stadium, and have no central funding any more you don't have a lot of choice.

We've gone round and round with this, but i guess paying 250k per year was a choice that was made ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, it was the choice made by David Hughes.

Wimbledon did everything asked of them, promoted the event, pushed it to their fans, advertised it, tried there best to make it an event to be remembered. Facilites are excellent, refreshments spot on, everything you could have asked your host to do they did, and we got a superb attendance thanks to them.

All London had to do was to ensure the performance on the pitch matched the rest of the match day experience. However the performance provided did not match the surrondings they played in, as the squad build is not up to the same standard as the stadium played in.

Will we see the LB owners invest in a squad worthy of the ground we are playing in? I'm not holding my breath

Edited by crashmon
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, The storm said:

2138 at london today and lots of widnes fans

Think the broncis have made an error going part time

That’s a great Challenge Cup attendance figure for a Championship club. I believe this is more than Salford got for their home Challenge Cup fixture against Widnes last year.

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

That’s a great Challenge Cup attendance figure for a Championship club. I believe this is more than Salford got for their home Challenge Cup fixture against Widnes last year.

Except it was not the cup and was R1 of the championship. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2182 is higher than their average crowd in Superleague in 2019.  ( For comparison, 1133 watched a game against Salford, 1205 a game against Wakefield, 1419 against Huddersfield, 1503 against Hull KR).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm as cynical as anyone about this working long term but 2,182 is decent and a really positive start.

  • Like 7

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

That’s a great Challenge Cup attendance figure for a Championship club. I believe this is more than Salford got for their home Challenge Cup fixture against Widnes last year.

You need  to get up to date with what is actually going on in the world 

 

Joe biden is now president of the USA

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm as cynical as anyone about this working long term but 2,182 is decent and a really positive start.

I was pretty sceptical beforehand, but it's the best venue they've played at this century - would be absolutely perfect for SL if there was a way to get a winning team on the pitch. The design of the stadium meant there was a proper atmosphere even for a game that wasn't massively competitive, and there's plenty of space and facilities for fanzone type stuff and entertainment. For a last roll of the dice, it looks like a good choice.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Taking nothing away from them but it’s how they go from here that matters. You can point to Round One’s attendance but if they’re still getting that sort of figure in June/July, it’s superb. They’ve had big crowds for the first game in a new venue before but never maintained them, for whatever reason and London aren’t the best at learning from previous mistakes. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JonM said:

I was pretty sceptical beforehand, but it's the best venue they've played at this century - would be absolutely perfect for SL if there was a way to get a winning team on the pitch. The design of the stadium meant there was a proper atmosphere even for a game that wasn't massively competitive, and there's plenty of space and facilities for fanzone type stuff and entertainment. For a last roll of the dice, it looks like a good choice.

It really, really would. I was daydreaming of Hull FC fans packing out the away terrace, singing ‘Old Faithful’. It would be wonderful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

That’s a great Challenge Cup attendance figure for a Championship club. I believe this is more than Salford got for their home Challenge Cup fixture against Widnes last year.

Not suppressing as that game was played when no crowds were allowed in.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JonM said:

2182 is higher than their average crowd in Superleague in 2019.  ( For comparison, 1133 watched a game against Salford, 1205 a game against Wakefield, 1419 against Huddersfield, 1503 against Hull KR).

True but Dons season ticket holders could get in for a pound today. If they have to pay. Full price will they come on a regular basis? I hope so but I am not sure that they will.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

That’s a great Challenge Cup attendance figure for a Championship club. I believe this is more than Salford got for their home Challenge Cup fixture against Widnes last year.

Ha Ha Brilliant stuff, you try and take the mickey out of an M62 club, but in the end all you have done is prove that you are a Super League/Expansion loving 'silly person', and nothing more. 👄 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For those wondering what a first-timer thought of the event, below is what one AFCW fan had to say about it. You really couldn't get a more definitive London Broncos day out - put on a game, sell a few cheap tickets...and that's about it. No programme, no merchandise, no explanation of the rules or player roles, no presence. Plus, of course, the much-discussed weakness of the team. Doesn't think many will be back.

 

So first time watching a Rugby League match live. I noticed some of the new players weren't playing, particularly Siti and Wellington. I thought the Broncos would have shown some presence in the stadium, a programme, merchandise or simply info on the players or a little bit about the rules and general expectation of player positions. Remember a lot of the crowd would know very little and it's one of the easiest ways to get them engaged.

I did rather feel the Broncos were handed everything on a plate by AFC Wimbledon such as the street food, pub etc. I was hoping to get a Broncos feel, certainly in the areas the football club would allow them to. At one point I referred to the team as Wimbledon and I really feel that was because nothing "Broncos" was being thrown at me. Ignoring the constraints of the agreement with AFC Wimbledon and that the football club were obligated to provide certain things, I felt the Broncos missed an opportunity.  

AFC Wimbledon ladies produce a simple programme but it really helps to get a feel of the individual players plus getting a few short informative articles. Honestly if there was some written material about the club (definitely) or the sport (probably) I would have bought it.

Really need a competitive game, but it was obvious it was over within 15 minutes. At half time I thought this was a bad outcome with so many newcomers present. Actually the second half I enjoyed way more. Widnes were still superior, but would have created a greater atmosphere if the teams were all square at half time.

I'll go back, but I do worry about how many others will. The reality is the pricing won't help and certainly won't attract family's unless offers for kids are introduced (which may well happen of course). The biggest issue will be a competitive team. From what I can tell, a match with Widnes needed to be exactly that. There are some likely hammerings to come from the big teams. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, nadera78 said:

For those wondering what a first-timer thought of the event, below is what one AFCW fan had to say about it. You really couldn't get a more definitive London Broncos day out - put on a game, sell a few cheap tickets...and that's about it. No programme, no merchandise, no explanation of the rules or player roles, no presence. Plus, of course, the much-discussed weakness of the team. Doesn't think many will be back.

 

So first time watching a Rugby League match live. I noticed some of the new players weren't playing, particularly Siti and Wellington. I thought the Broncos would have shown some presence in the stadium, a programme, merchandise or simply info on the players or a little bit about the rules and general expectation of player positions. Remember a lot of the crowd would know very little and it's one of the easiest ways to get them engaged.

I did rather feel the Broncos were handed everything on a plate by AFC Wimbledon such as the street food, pub etc. I was hoping to get a Broncos feel, certainly in the areas the football club would allow them to. At one point I referred to the team as Wimbledon and I really feel that was because nothing "Broncos" was being thrown at me. Ignoring the constraints of the agreement with AFC Wimbledon and that the football club were obligated to provide certain things, I felt the Broncos missed an opportunity.  

AFC Wimbledon ladies produce a simple programme but it really helps to get a feel of the individual players plus getting a few short informative articles. Honestly if there was some written material about the club (definitely) or the sport (probably) I would have bought it.

Really need a competitive game, but it was obvious it was over within 15 minutes. At half time I thought this was a bad outcome with so many newcomers present. Actually the second half I enjoyed way more. Widnes were still superior, but would have created a greater atmosphere if the teams were all square at half time.

I'll go back, but I do worry about how many others will. The reality is the pricing won't help and certainly won't attract family's unless offers for kids are introduced (which may well happen of course). The biggest issue will be a competitive team. From what I can tell, a match with Widnes needed to be exactly that. There are some likely hammerings to come from the big teams. 

I definately think london have missed a trick and its clear to mecat least that they will struggle even with Siti and Wellingtom Albert in the mix. 

There are plenty of very high quakity players who woukd love a couple of years in london and complement the bronco production line 

They need a team on the pitch to watch

Widnes v workington next week. I will be dissapointed if we dont hit 3200

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, nadera78 said:

For those wondering what a first-timer thought of the event, below is what one AFCW fan had to say about it. You really couldn't get a more definitive London Broncos day out - put on a game, sell a few cheap tickets...and that's about it. No programme, no merchandise, no explanation of the rules or player roles, no presence. Plus, of course, the much-discussed weakness of the team. Doesn't think many will be back.

 

So first time watching a Rugby League match live. I noticed some of the new players weren't playing, particularly Siti and Wellington. I thought the Broncos would have shown some presence in the stadium, a programme, merchandise or simply info on the players or a little bit about the rules and general expectation of player positions. Remember a lot of the crowd would know very little and it's one of the easiest ways to get them engaged.

I did rather feel the Broncos were handed everything on a plate by AFC Wimbledon such as the street food, pub etc. I was hoping to get a Broncos feel, certainly in the areas the football club would allow them to. At one point I referred to the team as Wimbledon and I really feel that was because nothing "Broncos" was being thrown at me. Ignoring the constraints of the agreement with AFC Wimbledon and that the football club were obligated to provide certain things, I felt the Broncos missed an opportunity.  

AFC Wimbledon ladies produce a simple programme but it really helps to get a feel of the individual players plus getting a few short informative articles. Honestly if there was some written material about the club (definitely) or the sport (probably) I would have bought it.

Really need a competitive game, but it was obvious it was over within 15 minutes. At half time I thought this was a bad outcome with so many newcomers present. Actually the second half I enjoyed way more. Widnes were still superior, but would have created a greater atmosphere if the teams were all square at half time.

I'll go back, but I do worry about how many others will. The reality is the pricing won't help and certainly won't attract family's unless offers for kids are introduced (which may well happen of course). The biggest issue will be a competitive team. From what I can tell, a match with Widnes needed to be exactly that. There are some likely hammerings to come from the big teams. 

I find it odd that fan knows who Wellington and Siti are? Guess something was done right there for her to know by appearance no?

When I entered the ground,there were four players (not playing) sat at the entrance helping with ticket sales.

Game started very shakey,Widness ran in 3 tries.But from that point it were try for try with missed conversations bloating the score line a little more.Highly competitive and very entertaining game after the 15minute mark.But unfortunately the game is 80min not 65mins.

Hopefully with the return of some quality players in these next few games,they'll get there.Overall a great day and promotion of rugby league I feel.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, nadera78 said:

For those wondering what a first-timer thought of the event, below is what one AFCW fan had to say about it. You really couldn't get a more definitive London Broncos day out - put on a game, sell a few cheap tickets...and that's about it. No programme, no merchandise, no explanation of the rules or player roles, no presence. Plus, of course, the much-discussed weakness of the team. Doesn't think many will be back.

 

So first time watching a Rugby League match live. I noticed some of the new players weren't playing, particularly Siti and Wellington. I thought the Broncos would have shown some presence in the stadium, a programme, merchandise or simply info on the players or a little bit about the rules and general expectation of player positions. Remember a lot of the crowd would know very little and it's one of the easiest ways to get them engaged.

I did rather feel the Broncos were handed everything on a plate by AFC Wimbledon such as the street food, pub etc. I was hoping to get a Broncos feel, certainly in the areas the football club would allow them to. At one point I referred to the team as Wimbledon and I really feel that was because nothing "Broncos" was being thrown at me. Ignoring the constraints of the agreement with AFC Wimbledon and that the football club were obligated to provide certain things, I felt the Broncos missed an opportunity.  

AFC Wimbledon ladies produce a simple programme but it really helps to get a feel of the individual players plus getting a few short informative articles. Honestly if there was some written material about the club (definitely) or the sport (probably) I would have bought it.

Really need a competitive game, but it was obvious it was over within 15 minutes. At half time I thought this was a bad outcome with so many newcomers present. Actually the second half I enjoyed way more. Widnes were still superior, but would have created a greater atmosphere if the teams were all square at half time.

I'll go back, but I do worry about how many others will. The reality is the pricing won't help and certainly won't attract family's unless offers for kids are introduced (which may well happen of course). The biggest issue will be a competitive team. From what I can tell, a match with Widnes needed to be exactly that. There are some likely hammerings to come from the big teams. 

I think first timers are less likely to be too concerned about the result but more interested if they enjoy the game as a spectacle, the event surrounding it and the cost. If they decide to make following the Broncos a regular event, success will become more important as will getting to know the intricacies of the game.

With regards success, no one wants to see their team get hammered, but if it is against a far better team that`s life and it can be exhilarating to watch a team playing at a higher level, it also gives something for fans to aspire to for their team, and if they enjoy the sport get more involved in helping their team achieve that level.

Meanwhile there will be plenty of games where they are competitive.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

David Hughes would be delighted to 'sell' London, after the enormous amount of money he has put in to it. Unfortunately, no one wants to buy it, at any price. When he is no longer around, neither will be London. So get your criticism in now, you wont be able to in the future. It's staggering that so many people with neither knowledge or information (and certainly no money) just love to criticise others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

London Broncos has no future, unless there are wholesale changes from the top down. As somebody who has supported them for over 20 years, it hurts really hurts to see them as they are. But TBH there really is no point London Broncos continuing as a Part time team, there is no future like that  it will be just a slow drop off to oblivion.

The only way the Broncos can survive long term is in Superleague.  The squad they have would need pretty much need 90% of the players replacing to acheive that. DH does not have the money for that, regardless which stadium we play in.

I would bet that of the 2,182 > 50% of those did not pay full price for the ticket, and most home supporters probably paid £1. How many will come back when they have to pay £22 instead of the £1 offer. The squad is only going to be competitive about probably 5 or 6 of the lower teams, the likes of Thunder, Fax, Fev, Bradford, York, Leigh are not going to be close games, so that just leaves Sheffield, Dewsbury + cumbrian clubs left.  Will we see 2K+ for those games without £1 ticket gimmicks.

2 Part time teams in London is one too many, and I fear for the Skolars once League one starts this year

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • John Drake changed the title to Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...