Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

2 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

I've looked into this and one of the things a fixture needs to be classed as a Derby if for both Teams to have Railway Stations. So last nights West Cumbrian game was a Derby.

I'll go through the other RL teams and let you know which ones can be involved in a Derby if you want.

Do you live alone with no one to talk with?

What a bore.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, fevtom said:

From the League Express:

Championship

Bradford v Halifax - 5,821 (But Bradford’s twitter announced 5,231)

Widnes v Leigh - Not Given (But someone on the forum mentioned 3,854)

Featherstone v Barrow - 3,284

Sheffield v London - 943 (Double header at Doncaster)

Batley v Dewsbury - Not Given

York v Newcastle - Not Given

Whitehaven v Workington - No Report due to late kick off.

League One

Swinton v North Wales - 1,081

Hunslet v Keighley - 714

Doncaster v Cornwall - 943

Midlands v Skolars - 176

Rochdale v Oldham - Not Given

According to a York official, the club only give the attendance if they agree with the figure given to them by the stadium management company. Obviously they didn’t agree with the figure so no figure given but my estimate is 1700/1800. It’s slowly improving.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

According to a York official, the club only give the attendance if they agree with the figure given to them by the stadium management company. Obviously they didn’t agree with the figure so no figure given but my estimate is 1700/1800. It’s slowly improving.

Interesting. Why would they not agree with figure - why would the stadium management give an incorrect figure?

6 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

No disrespect AB, and I sincerely hope the attendances do improve quickly, but the talk pre going into the new stadium was how it was going to lift the interest and attendance of the good people of York to support their professional Rugby League team, this doesn't seem to be happening why is that, do you have an opinion?

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Salford are in a bad stadium  (this is changing) plus lack a real rival.  A club in central manchester wouldve been perfect for them.  

Reality is until they leave their box they are just treading water. 

They are where they are, same with every club, they should do all they can to attract people to come where they are not just accept that people don't want to come.

12 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Interesting. Why would they not agree with figure - why would the stadium management give an incorrect figure?

No idea. Genuinely can’t answer that one.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No disrespect AB, and I sincerely hope the attendances do improve quickly, but the talk pre going into the new stadium was how it was going to lift the interest and attendance of the good people of York to support their professional Rugby League team, this doesn't seem to be happening why is that, do you have an opinion?

I’m actually very positive about the figures. Our last 3 attendances against Newcastle were 1221 earlier this season in the cup, 1212 in 2018 (at Bootham Crescent) and 1181 in 2017 (also at Bootham).

If we go with 1750 for Saturdays game, our league average this year is 2227. The last full season average was 2125 (before COVID etc). I think we’ll break 2500 average this season, so a near 20% increase, while not something to write home about, shows steady progress which is what the Knights seem to aim for on and off the pitch. 

Overall though while I’m not too concerned about crowds I just feel as a club we need to work harder. As usual I’m reluctant to criticise and I don’t know how restricted the club are by the stadium management company but the match day experience needs a lot of work. At Bootham we had bands playing, entertainers, cheerleaders, zones set up for the kids. At the LNER it’s half an hour of music then an 80 minute match, the match itself is pretty decent atm but more work needs to be put into making match day an event.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

As someone who has recently moved to York, I've been pleasantly surprised at the profile the Knights have in the city. Plenty of scope to do more, of course.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AB Knight said:

So they believe the SMC are telling lies ?

How bizarre how bizarre. 

I’m actually very positive about the figures. Our last 3 attendances against Newcastle were 1221 earlier this season in the cup, 1212 in 2018 (at Bootham Crescent) and 1181 in 2017 (also at Bootham).

If we go with 1750 for Saturdays game, our league average this year is 2227. The last full season average was 2125 (before COVID etc). I think we’ll break 2500 average this season, so a near 20% increase, while not something to write home about, shows steady progress which is what the Knights seem to aim for on and off the pitch. 

Overall though while I’m not too concerned about crowds I just feel as a club we need to work harder. As usual I’m reluctant to criticise and I don’t know how restricted the club are by the stadium management company but the match day experience needs a lot of work. At Bootham we had bands playing, entertainers, cheerleaders, zones set up for the kids. At the LNER it’s half an hour of music then an 80 minute match, the match itself is pretty decent atm but more work needs to be put into making match day an event.

I’d like to see York city knights target North Yorkshire more and position themselves as North Yorkshire’s club as there is a huge potential audience out there with not much competition in terms of other RL clubs and other professional clubs be it football or rugby Union etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

So they believe the SMC are telling lies ?

Like I said I don’t know what it’s about, I don’t know the reasons all I am going by is a comment made from a Knights official on Facebook. 

33 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

9372 at Cas today

It looked great on tv. I don’t know why everyone says their ground is an embarrassment, it’s a dump for sure but their crowd looks good in it on tv, much more so than many SL clubs. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It looked great on tv. I don’t know why everyone says their ground is an embarrassment, it’s a dump for sure but their crowd looks good in it on tv, much more so than many SL clubs. 

Surely having a dump as a ground is embarrassing for a Superleague club.

3247 it was announced at SRD today. At least that is what the stadium management company say. They don't count STH if they don't attend, but have paid to attend. 

4 hours ago, JonM said:

As someone who has recently moved to York, I've been pleasantly surprised at the profile the Knights have in the city. Plenty of scope to do more, of course.

My feeling is that individual clubs can and should be active and creative in  increasing their own support, but in reality there is a limit what each alone can do.

The real initiatives should be collective, all clubs allied to joint strategies massively supported by the R F L with a clear aim to boost attendances. 

Cos the surest way to increase revenue would be through the gates.

Edited by idrewthehaggis

43 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Cas isn’t a bad ground at all when it’s a nice warm sunny day, and you don’t have to visit to the toilet facilities. Piggy Fletcher had cleaner fresher sty’s. 

27 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Surely having a dump as a ground is embarrassing for a Superleague club.

I dont think so, it’s a fairly full dump which is better than a quarter full nice ground, the Cas and Hull televised games today demonstrate that perfectly. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I dont think so, it’s a fairly full dump which is better than a quarter full nice ground, the Cas and Hull televised games today demonstrate that perfectly. 

Nah,it’s 2022 and top flight teams shouldn’t be playing in “dumps” even full ones.

Easter Monday is not providing any boost in attendances - in fact regular weekly attendances are often better. Imagine if this B/H Monday had been Leeds/Hudds followed by the French Derby to round off an exciting long weekend round.

You would have got 4/5k more at Headingley and a daytime lockout at Catalans. Wakefield could also have got a much better crowd for the visit of Cas.

Overkill 

• Like 2