Attendances (Multiple Merged Threads)

26 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

On reflection, I think the World Cup will have an impact on all sorts of attendances this year as people have already comitted to tickets, hotels etc. The net result will be positive for the game, so I don't think we should sweat it too hard if Magic or the GF are a bit down this year. Let's see where all the big event crowds are at in 2023.

Absolutely fair.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I think Magic is fine as a concept and one I quite enjoy. Like the Challenge Cup Final, it’s an event that needs to be done better, it’s execution is off and could be done a lot better and that is where I hope IMG step in and give the events we have the boost they need. 

As I said elsewhere, I couldn’t make this year’s Magic Weekend, otherwise I would be awaiting my train home at Newcastle station this morning. Like I also posted elsewhere, I could have predicted what was going to make up the fanzone and in stadium entertainment weeks in advance and from what I’ve seen on Sky this weekend, what I’ve seen on social media and what I’ve read from attendees, I was spot on. I’m not a psychic by any stretch but I’m a regular attendee (normally) of the event and I’ve seen it all before at St James’. Numerous times. If I can successfully predict the contents of the fanzone and the entertainment between games weeks in advance, it’s not really going to be that enticing to go to the fanzone or pay any attention to what is going on between games and that’s probably the case for the vast majority of attendees, no matter how regular they attend Magic Weekend. 

I don’t think Newcastle as a venue or as a city is stale. Newcastle is a great city and offers a lot for many different people, whether it’s beer, food, entertainment, shopping etc. I think Rugby League has got stale and that’s the actual problem. Moving the event to a different city won’t really change that, either. That’s not fixing the problem, it’s ignoring it and hoping it goes away, which sounds very much like something that would happen within Rugby League. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

As part of my ongoing German learning, I was listening to German radio yesterday and they had a report from a woman who'd attended their game in Brentford the evening before. She was absolutely buzzing about how nice it was to be in an English crowd who were behaving positively towards both teams.

It's not for everyone but, to link to the wider point about triple headers and our meat raffle approach to 'value', it does show that there are different audiences attending women's football than might go to men's. We could have some of that for rugby league if we didn't keep wrapping up our women's events as curtain raisers.

Absolutely. Apologies for all the typos in my previous reply, fast typing and predictive text is a bad combination!

2 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I think Magic is fine as a concept and one I quite enjoy. Like the Challenge Cup Final, it’s an event that needs to be done better, it’s execution is off and could be done a lot better and that is where I hope IMG step in and give the events we have the boost they need. 

As I said elsewhere, I couldn’t make this year’s Magic Weekend, otherwise I would be awaiting my train home at Newcastle station this morning. Like I also posted elsewhere, I could have predicted what was going to make up the fanzone and in stadium entertainment weeks in advance and from what I’ve seen on Sky this weekend, what I’ve seen on social media and what I’ve read from attendees, I was spot on. I’m not a psychic by any stretch but I’m a regular attendee (normally) of the event and I’ve seen it all before at St James’. Numerous times. If I can successfully predict the contents of the fanzone and the entertainment between games weeks in advance, it’s not really going to be that enticing to go to the fanzone or pay any attention to what is going on between games and that’s probably the case for the vast majority of attendees, no matter how regular they attend Magic Weekend. 

I don’t think Newcastle as a venue or as a city is stale. Newcastle is a great city and offers a lot for many different people, whether it’s beer, food, entertainment, shopping etc. I think Rugby League has got stale and that’s the actual problem. Moving the event to a different city won’t really change that, either. That’s not fixing the problem, it’s ignoring it and hoping it goes away, which sounds very much like something that would happen within Rugby League. 

Moving the event to Dublin in the future would I'm sure attract new fans to the game their and make people there more aware of our game

4 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Moving the event to Dublin in the future would I'm sure attract new fans to the game their and make people there more aware of our game

To what purpose though? Having a few thousand people in Dublin know what rugby league is would be netter than not of course, but unless they have a team in the English set up I don’t think it would be worthwhile. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

To go up against a Summer of GAA with no team of their own to support?  I doubt it. 

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

To what purpose though? Having a few thousand people in Dublin know what rugby league is would be netter than not of course, but unless they have a team in the English set up I don’t think it would be worthwhile. 

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

To go up against a Summer of GAA with no team of their own to support?  I doubt it. 

To attract new fans, but really it needs to be held where it attracts new fans, players and sponsors to the game. Newcastle for me ticks the boxes for now, or at least until Newcastle attain Super League status, or are attracting 4 figure + crowds on a regular basis, and for the future Sheffield could be interesting with having had a Super League team in the past, and a MW held in the West Midlands will certainly help the game there as well

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

To attract new fans, but really it needs to be held where it attracts new fans, players and sponsors to the game. Newcastle for me ticks the boxes for now, or at least until Newcastle attain Super League status, or are attracting 4 figure + crowds on a regular basis, and for the future Sheffield could be interesting with having had a Super League team in the past, and a MW held in the West Midlands will certainly help the game there as well

Just think it has to be targeted.  Newcastle playing at the stadium on Sunday is a no brainer,  give them a chance to put them on a bigger stage post world cup.  

Then Sheffield if Newcastle have grown suitably. 

• Like 1

There's a lot of outrage from fans about a couple of Wigan games being changed in the coming weeks for Sky at short notice. I know Sky pay the bills but surely this can't help attendances and makes comparisons to attendances before we had Thursday games invalid. The Hull KR game in particular being shifted will probably knock thousands off the gate and makes it practically impossible for away fans to attend. It would be great if we could at least have a bit of common sense around these moves.

Wigan Warriors’ Round 21 and 22 home games against Hull KR and Warrington Wolves have both been selected for broadcast by Sky Sports.
This means Wigan’s fixture against Hull KR has changed dates for a second time, now moving from Sunday 31st July to Thursday 28th (8pm K.O.). Please note that this is out of the Club’s control and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

The broadcasting rights allow Sky to select games for broadcast with a minimum notice period and much depends on how the Betfred Super League season unfolds. More date changes for games could potentially occur before the end of the season and if this happens the Club will communicate with fans as soon as possible.

On Friday 5th August (8pm K.O.), the Warriors welcome Warrington to the DW Stadium, which will also be broadcast live on Sky Sports.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/07/13/warriors-selected-for-broadcast/

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

There's a lot of outrage from fans about a couple of Wigan games being changed in the coming weeks for Sky at short notice. I know Sky pay the bills but surely this can't help attendances and makes comparisons to attendances before we had Thursday games invalid. The Hull KR game in particular being shifted will probably knock thousands off the gate and makes it practically impossible for away fans to attend. It would be great if we could at least have a bit of common sense around these moves.

Wigan Warriors’ Round 21 and 22 home games against Hull KR and Warrington Wolves have both been selected for broadcast by Sky Sports.
This means Wigan’s fixture against Hull KR has changed dates for a second time, now moving from Sunday 31st July to Thursday 28th (8pm K.O.). Please note that this is out of the Club’s control and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

The broadcasting rights allow Sky to select games for broadcast with a minimum notice period and much depends on how the Betfred Super League season unfolds. More date changes for games could potentially occur before the end of the season and if this happens the Club will communicate with fans as soon as possible.

On Friday 5th August (8pm K.O.), the Warriors welcome Warrington to the DW Stadium, which will also be broadcast live on Sky Sports.

Weren’t Wigan doing a promotion for the home games against both Hull teams in a bid to boost the attendance,can see why some fans might not be happy.

7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Weren’t Wigan doing a promotion for the home games against both Hull teams in a bid to boost the attendance,can see why some fans might not be happy.

Yes they were, I had seen this advertised several times in the last few days.

21 minutes ago, Damien said:

This looks to be one of those areas where we have just allowed things to slip. I recall a few years ago we had an agreement with Sky that Thursday games would generally be for more local games, we would kick off earlier and that Thursday games in particular were announced we'll in advance. 

It's little things like this that Elstone and team were changing, maybe they should have been more interested in bigger things, but I do think lack of attention here is a challenge for us. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Damien said:

Less than three weeks notice?

That's poor.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Yes it does Eddie. A couple of season ticket holders who stand were i stand couldn’t go because they had covid. 

Do you know if they were included in the attendance figure or not though? 

9 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Yes it does Eddie. A couple of season ticket holders who stand were i stand couldn’t go because they had covid. 

Genuine question. If they can’t go, for any reason, can they give their tickets to someone else? And if they can, but didn’t, why not?

37 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do you know if they were included in the attendance figure or not though? 

Id imagine they must do because they have bought a season ticket so it’d have to count on the official attendance. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Genuine question. If they can’t go, for any reason, can they give their tickets to someone else? And if they can, but didn’t, why not?

Yes john i know someone who can’t make the Cas (H) game in August so he has lent it to someone who is a pay on the day fan because they works shifts. I think if Saints find an adult trying to get into the ground with a junior season ticket, the person trying to get in on the cheap will be banned.