Disciplinary

JohnM

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone remind me what was Gill Dudson was cited for? It couldn't have been that first minute incident could it as I thought there was not much in that.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Can someone remind me what was Gill Dudson was cited for? It couldn't have been that first minute incident could it as I thought there was not much in that.

If you click on the link on the article on the RFL site it is the incident in the first minute. It will be punching/ striking to the head

6 hours ago, LeeF said:

If you click on the link on the article on the RFL site it is the incident in the first minute. It will be punching/ striking to the head

Didn’t think there was much in it,fair enough a sin bin but 3 matches is ridiculously harsh.

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

I think that's a nasty tackle that needs to be outlawed. 

An amateur player got a season ban for similar, could break legs and ankles of opponent, its not as if these players earn millions or are millionaires, not fair to loose a season or a career from a reckless challenge

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

An amateur player got a season ban for similar, could break legs and ankles of opponent, its not as if these players earn millions or are millionaires, not fair to loose a season or a career from a reckless challenge

There was nothing similar about that Thornhill players assault.

Just now, Davo5 said:

There was nothing similar about that Thornhill players assault.

Really? Tackler leaves the ground with both feet and lunges them into the attackers ankles. Different angle of course and the Thornhill player with more intent hence the longer ban but the tackle technique (or lack of it) was the same

6 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Really? Tackler leaves the ground with both feet and lunges them into the attackers ankles. Different angle of course and the Thornhill player with more intent hence the longer ban but the tackle technique (or lack of it) was the same

Yeah really Vete left the ground which is nasty but unlike the Thornhill player didn’t make a deliberate 2 footed attack on the ball carrier.

I’m not excusing Vete,he deserved a longer ban but it wasn’t an assault like the earlier Thornhill players.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah really Vete left the ground which is nasty but unlike the Thornhill player didn’t make a deliberate 2 footed attack on the ball carrier.

I’m not excusing Vete,he deserved a longer ban but it wasn’t an assault like the earlier Thornhill players.

Agreed and why one got a season and the other got a couple of games, same tackle style though, poor tackle technique needs to be penalised out of the game to protect the players, regardless of initial intent

10 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Didn’t think there was much in it,fair enough a sin bin but 3 matches is ridiculously harsh.

I have no sympathy because the players were instructed before the season started on what the punishment is for striking. 

I'm not sure handing out increased suspensions for frivolous appeals when sentencing guidelines have just changed is the right thing for the appeals panel to be doing. All precedent and prior judgement will point to players receiving reduced punishments so how can players and clubs know what is a harsh or lenient punishment? For example, if punishment for an offence jumps from 0 or 1 match to 3 or 4 there's a legitimate question as to why it's not 2 games, until a precedent has been set.

I know there was criticism from a few people within the game about the disciplinary process and particularly the appeals side of things. Some of it came across as complaining because they didn't like a decision but there did seem to be some valid points raised too. I wonder if anything has changed, otherwise I expect more slagging off in the media which doesn't do anyone any favours.

Archived