Kevin proctor-sacked for Vaping

2 hours ago, MidlandsJohn said:

Maybe the vape was Lime Milk flavoured so he's been sacked for promoting a rival club's sponsor?

I’m fortunate enough to live in Canberra and can enjoy the delights of Raiders lime milk whenever they decide to have a promotion and produce a run of it.

• Like 1

On 27/07/2022 at 13:57, DG70 said:

Telegraph names Hull, Salford, and Wakefield, as three clubs showing an interest.

Looking like Salford, yet another declining NRL player with a history of issues seemingly heading for SL:  

Kevin Proctor: NRL forward sacked for vaping in talks to join Super League club - BBC Sport

14 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Looking like Salford, yet another declining NRL player with a history of issues seemingly heading for SL:  

Kevin Proctor: NRL forward sacked for vaping in talks to join Super League club - BBC Sport

Did you expect anything else? That's just how it works in this game, SL is seen as some sort of community service programme for these players. As soon as this story broke a load of us on here were immediately suggesting which SL clubs would go in for him. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Salford have money to throw at another NRL player, but don't run an Academy

Hmmm...

Salford ran a full academy until around 2016. Niall Evalds, Stefan Ratchford, Theo Fages, Marc Sneyd and others all came through it. The club's then owner, Marwan Koukash, disbanded that academy following a dispute with the RFL, a decision he later said he regretted.

Earlier this year, the club, under new management, applied to rejoin the full academy set up, but we're denied. I'm sure they'll try again next year.

However, this means the club is denied the funding from the RFL that goes towards paying for academies, is denied the salary cap dispensations that academy players bring and is denied the opportunity to receive payments from other clubs when an academy player moves on. These are all advantages that other clubs currently enjoy, and Salford's exclusion from the full academy set up is a considerable disadvantage, particularly with regards the number of players they have available to them

Nevertheless, the club runs a development academy, and has strong links with an academy in Wales. I'm not sure if either of these attract central funding. They've recently brought a young player up to the area from that Welsh academy, while two members of the development academy have been named in the club's 21 man Super League squad so far this season.

In completely unrelated news, Salford have been linked with a player from the NRL. Not signed, just been linked with.

For background, clubs with a full academy also sign players. See Warrington's recent activity in the transfer market, for example.

Hmmm...

• Like 9

4 hours ago, DG70 said:

Salford are down to the bare bones, if they can bring him in now then the move probably makes sense.

Isn't it too late for this season? I thought the deadline for signing new players had passed.

Any club looking to sign Proctor would have to be for next year.

2 hours ago, Hammerless Nail said:

Salford ran a full academy until around 2016. Niall Evalds, Stefan Ratchford, Theo Fages, Marc Sneyd and others all came through it. The club's then owner, Marwan Koukash, disbanded that academy following a dispute with the RFL, a decision he later said he regretted.

Earlier this year, the club, under new management, applied to rejoin the full academy set up, but we're denied. I'm sure they'll try again next year.

However, this means the club is denied the funding from the RFL that goes towards paying for academies, is denied the salary cap dispensations that academy players bring and is denied the opportunity to receive payments from other clubs when an academy player moves on. These are all advantages that other clubs currently enjoy, and Salford's exclusion from the full academy set up is a considerable disadvantage, particularly with regards the number of players they have available to them

Nevertheless, the club runs a development academy, and has strong links with an academy in Wales. I'm not sure if either of these attract central funding. They've recently brought a young player up to the area from that Welsh academy, while two members of the development academy have been named in the club's 21 man Super League squad so far this season.

In completely unrelated news, Salford have been linked with a player from the NRL. Not signed, just been linked with.

For background, clubs with a full academy also sign players. See Warrington's recent activity in the transfer market, for example.

Hmmm...

Fair play, I didn't know the granular detail, and I stand corrected.

I'm sure we can agree that all SL clubs should be running an RFL sanctioned and funded Academy?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Salford have money for NRL rejects but no academy in Manchester . People already pointed out why sañford dont but academy needs to be a condition of SL membership going forward or that every club in the profesional structure is part paying towards an academy because its pretty unjustifiable to take that sky money and give nowt back professionally. 

Why would Salford have an academy in Manchester as it's a city in it's own right.🤔😉

And we give plenty back professionally, I'm pretty sure Wire signed half a dozen Salford lads last year because we had no academy so our loss has been someone else's gain.

Now if we were granted an academy license I'm sure we'd gladly accept it so we can keep the few local talents we produce along with giving second chances to the players often discarded by the "big boys" and giving further SL opportunities to up and coming talent from Championship/L1.👍

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Fair play, I didn't know the granular detail, and I stand corrected.

I'm sure we can agree that all SL clubs should be running an RFL sanctioned and funded Academy?

While I'm not wedded to the idea of clubs being forced to have an academy (isn't there a problem with players who leave an academy then being lost to the sport rather than returning to their previous amateur club?), I'm not entirely averse to the idea either.

However, that's not what's happening here. Salford have applied to be allowed to run a full academy, but have had their application rejected. It may be that there are valid reasons for that rejection - and, if there are, I hope the RFL are helping the club with them - and I certainly hope this isn't just down to the RFL's finances (i.e. we can only afford x academies, we already have x, so you can't have one).

What definitely isn't happening here is that Salford are deliberately, wilfully refusing to run a full academy, and using whatever funds that saves them (and remember all the disadvantages not having an academy brings) to sign players from the NRL. Not least because they haven't signed him. It's just speculation (so far).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hammerless Nail said:

While I'm not wedded to the idea of clubs being forced to have an academy (isn't there a problem with players who leave an academy then being lost to the sport rather than returning to their previous amateur club?), I'm not entirely averse to the idea either.

However, that's not what's happening here. Salford have applied to be allowed to run a full academy, but have had their application rejected. It may be that there are valid reasons for that rejection - and, if there are, I hope the RFL are helping the club with them - and I certainly hope this isn't just down to the RFL's finances (i.e. we can only afford x academies, we already have x, so you can't have one).

What definitely isn't happening here is that Salford are deliberately, wilfully refusing to run a full academy, and using whatever funds that saves them (and remember all the disadvantages not having an academy brings) to sign players from the NRL. Not least because they haven't signed him. It's just speculation (so far).

I'm more concerned that a professional SL club doesn't have the ability to write a meaningful Academy application.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Because you are a 10 minute train away and its a city of half a million people with the training infradtructure to boot.  Not sure a potential 33 year old australian developed player really is the chance that northern hemisphere clubs should be giving when it blocks someone elses. 

Like I said cant hold it against Salford but post 2024 if Salford or any other club in the restructure arent funding or part funding an academy they shouldnt be in. 

10 minute train from where to where exactly? You can walk over the Lowry bridge from Salford to Manchester in 30 seconds. There is no train station within about 2 miles of the AJ Bell either. Not sure what your point is.

What "training infrastructure" are you referring to? Genuinely have no idea what you're talking about there and any relevance.🤷‍♂️

Who is Proctor blocking if he moved to Salford? He's not blocking an academy player as we don't have one. Is Elijah Taylor (32yo) currently blocking anyone or providing experience and genuine quality? What about 35yo Matt Prior at Leeds? (who have an academy)

BTW, I think every Salford fan (and the CEO/coach) would love an academy. If the RFL refuses to let us have one then what exactly can we do? 

I'm non-plussed on the Proctor rumours btw. He's obviously a bit of a balloon based on past indiscretions but I'm not aware of anything most people would consider "serious" (cocaine use is just dumb and not big or clever as some seem to think). 

PS. I think you need to worry more about the rest of your club than the fact you have an academy if you think you deserve to be back in Super League on the back of that!😉😁👍

21 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Salford have money to throw at another NRL player, but don't run an Academy

Hmmm...

Google Salford Red Devils Academy, then give the Red Devils Foundation a ring and they will fill you in with what is being done now and what has gone on recently.