England Squad

Backs:

1. Tomkins 2. Welsby 3. Makinson 4. Young 5. Murphy (bolter - he’s quality) 6. Farnworth 7. Percival 8. Newman (if fit) 9. Wardle 10. Lomax 11. Williams 12. Smith (Harry)

Forwards:

13. Walmsley 14. Thompson 15. Burgess 16. Oledzki 17. Cooper 18. Clarke 19. Radley 20. Bateman 21. Whitehead 22. McMeeken 23. Watkins/Batchelor 24. Knowles

• Like 2

1. past it 

2. not ready

3. injured

4 will be injured 

5 not good enough

6 never been good enough 

7 way out of form

8 past it

9 past it and injured 

10 suspended 

11 covid

12 not from wigan 

13 unlucky for some 

• Thanks 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I would very much rather we go into the competition with a team of exciting backs who have the potential to win games - Murphy, Newman, Farnworth, Welsby, Young etc. - than a set of backs who just happen to have played a few more games.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I must be seeing something different to some here as i think these potential squads look quite strong and exciting , but theyre you go

We have some very good forwards, in particular in the middle, and some exciting young outside backs.

The key is in the spine.  If we can get that right I think we have a good team.

• Like 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

You Have no idea what you’re talking about, Im just going to ignore you.

I would have the wakefield winger lewis murphy in there before Dom Young

Johnny lomax at 6

Harry smith at 7

Brad oneil at 9

Victor radley at 12

Jack welsby at 1

Centres are a problem

Id go for jake wardle and herbie farnworth

Liak byrne  on the bench

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I must be seeing something different to some here as i think these potential squads look quite strong and exciting , but theyre you go

I think it does if Wane is brave and picks form players. Instead of sticking to the tried and tested. 

11 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

My England Squad-

Sam Tomkins

Jack Welsby

Tommy Makinson

Dominic Young

Liam Marshall

Herbie Farnworth

Mark Percival

Harry Newman

George Williams

Jonny Lomax

Jackson Hastings

Alex Walmsley

Luke Thompson

Tom Burgess

Mikolaj Oledzki

Matty Lees

Kruise Leeming

Daryl Clark

John Bateman

Liam Farrell

Elliot Whitehead

Joe Batchelor

Victor Radley

Morgan Knowles

My Lineup-

1-Sam Tomkins

2-Tommy Makinson

3-Herbie Farnworth

4-Harry Newman

5-Dominic Young

6-George Williams

7-Jackson Hastings

8-Alex Walmsley

9-Victor Radley

10-Luke Thompson

11-John Bateman

12-Elliot Whitehead

13-Morgan Knowles

14-Jack Welsby

15-Tom Burgess

16-Mikolaj Oledzki

17-Liam Farrell

What do you guys reckon

You can keep Hastings he may come in for the Green and Golds someday.  

Farnsworth might be back. Give him a few games in the pools and go from there.

Young has been getting better and better. Should be in the squad and have the opportunity to push into the top line up even if he doesn't start there. He has been the one good thing about Newcastle this year and although he is still developing he is a top tier athlete of the sport.

image.png.3d069e97393f12785a77efae4d5c5c14.png

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

He lost his halfback place and was moved to 13 at West's Tigers such was his contribution, started lijeca house on fire then after 3 or 4 games was found out by the opposing coaches.

That was because Doueihi came back, and they had to find a place for all three.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

So you want to pick a centre who's out for the season, a centre who hasn't played since May and may not play again this year, another centre who's out injured and may not play again this year, an Australian 13 at hooker who's barely played at 9, a badly under-performing hooker, a winger who still makes so many rookie mistakes at club level, a scrum half at 6 who's had a pretty ordinary season and an Aussie 7 who's been pretty poor all year.

Does that just about sum it up !!

He's still going to ignore you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

1. past it 

2. not ready

3. injured

4 will be injured 

5 not good enough

6 never been good enough 

7 way out of form

8 past it

9 past it and injured 

10 suspended 

11 covid

12 not from wigan 

13 unlucky for some 

Well done, get behind the lads - great support. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

That was because Doueihi came back, and they had to find a place for all three.

So of three Half's he was considered the least effective in one of the poorest performing teams in the NRL so it was he that was moved to LF, and if you have watched him don't tell me he was the best for that position, I would also say he performs that role poorer than any other 13 in the comp.

I know we are short of Half's but I feel it really is desperation measures to include him in the England squad.

14 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So of three Half's he was considered the least effective in one of the poorest performing teams in the NRL so it was he that was moved to LF, and if you have watched him don't tell me he was the best for that position, I would also say he performs that role poorer than any other 13 in the comp.

I know we are short of Half's but I feel it really is desperation measures to include him in the England squad.

Everybody has their take on players. I totally respect that you don't rate him. I do like him as a player and think he could add to the England team in terms of ability and the way he carries himself.

I feel that he probably won't make the 24 having been out for quite a while, but we'll wait and see. I wouldn't at all mind seeing one of young Mikey Lewis or young Harry Smith in the squad.

I'd be interested to see what sort of squad you (and others on this thread) would be leaning towards.

30 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I'd be interested to see what sort of squad you (and others on this thread) would be leaning towards.

Let's look at the big 3 nations in the WC, Aus, NZ and England, both the former of the 3 are somewhat depleted in their selection process of having "born nationals" from both of their countries electing to play for other nations under the 'heritage ruling' BUT even so they still have enough player's to select a very good squad from and I would not wager my money on other than these two contesting the final. On the other hand I can't think of any England born Nationals if selected who would chose to play for any other team than England, but it seems from some quarters that we are desperate to include other nationals in our squad and team selection - even including a crocked underperforming Hastings - which I am not a fan of, I don't care what other nations do we have enough in my opinion to choose from, so with due respect my selection process differs somewhat from the allowed criteria, so I will await to see what Mr Wane comes up with, who incidentally I am very disappointed with in how he spoke about his intentions for the England team - which is well documented on these pages - when he first took the job from Mr Bennett.

22 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

My England Squad-

Sam Tomkins

Jack Welsby

Tommy Makinson

Dominic Young

Liam Marshall

Herbie Farnworth

Mark Percival

Harry Newman

George Williams

Jonny Lomax

Jackson Hastings

Alex Walmsley

Luke Thompson

Tom Burgess

Mikolaj Oledzki

Matty Lees

Kruise Leeming

Daryl Clark

John Bateman

Liam Farrell

Elliot Whitehead

Joe Batchelor

Victor Radley

Morgan Knowles

My Lineup-

1-Sam Tomkins

2-Tommy Makinson

3-Herbie Farnworth

4-Harry Newman

5-Dominic Young

6-George Williams

7-Jackson Hastings

8-Alex Walmsley

9-Victor Radley

10-Luke Thompson

11-John Bateman

12-Elliot Whitehead

13-Morgan Knowles

14-Jack Welsby

15-Tom Burgess

16-Mikolaj Oledzki

17-Liam Farrell

What do you guys reckon

Hi Shaun 

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Let's look at the big 3 nations in the WC, Aus, NZ and England, both the former of the 3 are somewhat depleted in their selection process of having "born nationals" from both of their countries electing to play for other nations under the 'heritage ruling' BUT even so they still have enough player's to select a very good squad from and I would not wager my money on other than these two contesting the final. On the other hand I can't think of any England born Nationals if selected who would chose to play for any other team than England, but it seems from some quarters that we are desperate to include other nationals in our squad and team selection - even including a crocked underperforming Hastings - which I am not a fan of, I don't care what other nations do we have enough in my opinion to choose from, so with due respect my selection process differs somewhat from the allowed criteria, so I will await to see what Mr Wane comes up with, who incidentally I am very disappointed with in how he spoke about his intentions for the England team - which is well documented on these pages - when he first took the job from Mr Bennett.

Yeah, I get that you favour a fully English-born squad.

I'd just be interested to see who you'd pick.

Who would your halves be, for starters? I've gone with Williams, Lomax and Hastings, with Tomkins and Connor being able to cover the halves as well. Looking at that, I think one area where they as a group might be deficient is SPEED (Williams apart). If Hastings doesn't get in, I think I'd like very much to see Mikey Lewis in there as a running option. Would that be something that would sit well with you?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Yeah, I get that you favour a fully English-born squad.

I'd just be interested to see who you'd pick.

Who would your halves be, for starters? I've gone with Williams, Lomax and Hastings, with Tomkins and Connor being able to cover the halves as well. Looking at that, I think one area where they as a group might be deficient is SPEED (Williams apart). If Hastings doesn't get in, I think I'd like very much to see Mikey Lewis in there as a running option. Would that be something that would sit well with you?

I am all for selecting "Form" player's not sure with all his absences if Lewis has shown enough but I agree he is an option, does William's fall into that 'Form' catagorie? and Tomkins and O'Connor when did we last see them in the halves? Perhap's Mr Wane could throw someone in the halves as a limitation excersize as Bennett did with Bateman in the centre's, we have done it before with Sculthorpe and Farrell, and also Sinfield but I would say that selection was more desperation than limitation.

3 minutes ago, meast said:

I'd have Smith in anyway we he's deserved it through his performances on the field, not just on hype.

Yes, he wouldn't look out of place in that 24 at all.

Connor - who I would have as an unlocker of defences- is unlikely to be there because of Hull's horrible season. Mikey Lewis has been out with concussion and plays for a smaller team, meaning Wane is unlikely to go with him. Hastings has been out and is rushing back. I'd say it's 70/30 that he won't make the squad.

Looking around at players fit and bang in form, Smith is one that immediately jumps into view. At this stage, I think he's probably more likely to make the squad than those three I've mentioned above. The Wigan link can't harm his chances, but I agree that he would be there on merit. He's had a pretty great breakout year.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I am all for selecting "Form" player's not sure with all his absences if Lewis has shown enough but I agree he is an option, does William's fall into that 'Form' catagorie? and Tomkins and O'Connor when did we last see them in the halves? Perhap's Mr Wane could throw someone in the halves as a limitation excersize as Bennett did with Bateman in the centre's, we have done it before with Sculthorpe and Farrell, and also Sinfield but I would say that selection was more desperation than limitation.

Williams is a certainty for the squad, and actually showed up pretty well against the CNAS.

Connor's played quite a bit at 6, hasn't he? Tomkins could easily step into the halves, which would allow Welsby the #1 jumper.

If you want to equivocate, that's fine. Wane is the one whose selections really matter. I can't wait to see who gets in and who misses out, hehe!