IMG proposals to be presented to clubs next week?

2 hours ago, Forever Trinity said:

Ok just to put you right its a brand new all singing dancing stand, the North Stand will have the terracing upgraded where needed, the West terrace is not featured yet. the 400 temporary seats at the south end my become permanent, the Changing rooms as they are now will become more community based and the new stand will have conference facilities a fan zone etc etc along with 26000 spectator seats (not including media teams directors etc) AS new hybrid pitch going down anytime now as the turf has been removed, new floodlights that are already in place and a new permanent big screen total investment circa 12 million. Considering it cost 17.5 million for Leigh Sporting Village the current investment at BV with little help over the years from the LA is a big investment, accepting the LA has provided 2 million to each of the local clubs for investment.

I'll ignore your ' finger slip ' which has provided a bit of mirth , don't take my opinion as criticism , it isn't it's just my opinion , yes I'm fully aware how lucky we were with the LSV and if we ever get it near full I'll be really pleased but as I put on the original thread about the new stand at BV , I don't think it'll ever be more than half or even a third full except for maybe CAS and Leeds , your fans , like those at Leigh prefer to stand and watch , I will be an improvement , but ultimately still not ' SL' 

In fact you missed out THE most important part of Belle Vue with or without the stand , you own it and all the revenues it can/will bring in , unlike ourselves and several others , as I said it's just an opinion , all the best 

4 hours ago, RP London said:

While they could, I am sure, there has to be some remit for IMG to push it more than normal if the clubs have basically agreed their involvement surely... Otherwise what is the point, for both sides?

surely also if the sport grows its in the best interests of all. You could be in the Championship in a better run, more media friendly, vibrant sport and be better off than in the Super League in a sport that is struggling.. 

I agree, pushing on an open door here.

In terms of clubs, they could have made decisions on best interests of all before but haven't, I hope this is different 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I'll ignore your ' finger slip ' which has provided a bit of mirth , don't take my opinion as criticism , it isn't it's just my opinion , yes I'm fully aware how lucky we were with the LSV and if we ever get it near full I'll be really pleased but as I put on the original thread about the new stand at BV , I don't think it'll ever be more than half or even a third full except for maybe CAS and Leeds , your fans , like those at Leigh prefer to stand and watch , I will be an improvement , but ultimately still not ' SL' 

In fact you missed out THE most important part of Belle Vue with or without the stand , you own it and all the revenues it can/will bring in , unlike ourselves and several others , as I said it's just an opinion , all the best 

We'll have to wait and see how full the stand gets. It's true that most current fans (myself included) prefer to stand, but these facilities offer something that has never been available at BV in 150 years. It opens up the opportunity to attract a different type of supporter and, as you say, the club controls all income from the facility. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 07/09/2022 at 23:27, David Shepherd said:

Really? Not the way I remember it.  Seemed to me like it was a constant stream of nothing games that weren't worth watching, with a liberal sprinkling of financial failure at several clubs.

I remember it differently 

Stadium upgrades

Lots of youth development into first teams

Attendance boosts

New teams in new areas that still have a legacy today..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 08/09/2022 at 08:24, RP London said:

While they could, I am sure, there has to be some remit for IMG to push it more than normal if the clubs have basically agreed their involvement surely... Otherwise what is the point, for both sides?

surely also if the sport grows its in the best interests of all. You could be in the Championship in a better run, more media friendly, vibrant sport and be better off than in the Super League in a sport that is struggling.. 

If they reject the proposals outright then IMG will surely walk away, presumably with a penalty clause payment from the RFL.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Voting (IMHO) as follows

For 

Hull FC

Hull KR

Leeds Rhinos 

Warrington Wolves

St Helens 

Wigan Warriors

Catalans Dragons (Do they get a vote?)

Against

Huddersfield Giants

Wakefield Trinity 

Castleford Tigers 

No idea

Salford Red Devils 

Championship

Against 

Bradford Bulls (Leading the way on this)

Leigh 

Others no idea apart from London/Cornwall/Newcastle will be in the IMG camp

Paul

12 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Voting (IMHO) as follows

For 

Hull FC

Hull KR

Leeds Rhinos 

Warrington Wolves

St Helens 

Wigan Warriors

Against

Huddersfield Giants

Wakefield Trinity 

Castleford Tigers 

No idea

Salford Red Devils 

Championship

Against 

Leigh 

Paul

Bit optimistic. The three I've highlighted in bold were the ring-leaders of the disastrous split a few years ago and are responsible for appointing Elstone. Not exactly stellar credentials for having the interest of the sport at heart.

As for the championship, I think you'll find that Degsy and Campbell are broadly supportive of what IMG are trying to achieve. 

Edited by David Shepherd

On 06/09/2022 at 13:29, Toby Chopra said:

Hard to see what criteria they could fall short on once the stadium issue is resolved. No team outside SL could credibly say they'd get higher crowds, except maybe Leigh. And all the potential expansion challengers for a licenced place like London, Toulouse or Newcastle are going backwards at the moment. 

Cas better get a shift on though. 

It did for licensing being issued in 2009, Leigh's ground was 90% complete inspected by the RFL then rejected in favour of Wheldon Rd, Belle Vue and The Willows, just shows what a shambles it was back then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It did for licensing being issued in 2009, Leigh's ground was 90% complete inspected by the RFL then rejected in favour of Wheldon Rd, Belle Vue and The Willows, just shows what a shambles it was back then.

Not to mention Bradford, Wakefield and Crusaders being declared financially sound. Presumably by Bernie Madoff's auditor. 

• Like 1

On 06/09/2022 at 16:55, Damien said:

I dont think they have as there are no original ideas to come up with, unless they do something truly left field. I think they have brought in IMG as an impartial third party to ensure whatever is decided is implemented and stuck with.

But the implementation is as it says in the OP put to a vote of all 37 clubs, that was done in '18 when Mr Elstone was appointed to SL and the format was altered from the 8's to P&R, well that has lasted for the test of time, why should anything a 3rd party come up with be any different than if the RFL put a clause in any future vote that says it can not be altered for say 12 years?

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But the implementation is as it says in the OP put to a vote of all 37 clubs, that was done in '18 when Mr Elstone was appointed to SL and the format was altered from the 8's to P&R, well that has lasted for the test of time, why should anything a 3rd party come up with be any different than if the RFL put a clause in any future vote that says it can not be altered for say 12 years?

I'm struggling to see your point. Yes absolutely nothing a third party can do is anything different that the RFL can do themselves, that is obvious. However the RFL have failed time and again in governing the game and promoting and advancing RL and this is why we are now where we are and are now instead bringing in a third party. I don't think this process or IMG are just a lame duck otherwise the whole exercise is pretty pointless.

8 minutes ago, Griff said:

Do they get one vote each ?

Well we either have a democratic vote or a manipulated one if it is weighted by how big/rich a club is and would hope that they get extra votes, I should imagine quite a few fans of the clubs who wish for licencing to be implemented would scream and stamp their feet if in a General Election people got more votes depending on their wealth.

Edited by Harry Stottle

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well we either have a democratic vote or a manipulated one if it is weighted by how big/rich a club is and would hope that they get extra votes, I should imagine quite a few fans of the clubs who wish for licencing to be implemented would scream and stamp their feet if in a General Election people got more votes depending on their wealth.

I haven't time to look it up just now but my recollection is that clubs in the top division have more votes and have done for many years, maybe as many as thirty.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Voting (IMHO) as follows

For 

Hull FC

Hull KR

Leeds Rhinos 

Warrington Wolves

St Helens 

Wigan Warriors

Against

Huddersfield Giants

Wakefield Trinity 

Castleford Tigers 

No idea

Salford Red Devils 

Championship

Against 

Leigh 

Paul

What are you basing this on?

If IMG have done their job, they'll present the game with a blueprint that clubs' could not fail to be swayed/impressed by.

When you listed the categories as "For", "Against", "No idea", you should have just typed "No idea".

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dboy said:

What are you basing this on?

If IMG have done their job, they'll present the game with a blueprint that clubs' could not fail to be swayed/impressed by.

When you listed the categories as "For", "Against", "No idea", you should have just typed "No idea".

Without knowing what the proposals might be, it's a bit of a stretch to make any claim about how clubs will vote.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Griff said:

I haven't time to look it up just now but my recollection is that clubs in the top division have more votes and have done for many years, maybe as many as thirty.

Thats what i always thought, cannot gave the tail wagging the dog , Leeds average more than the league one clubs put together and about half the championship clubs and generate millions on their own. Why should say Dewsbury Hunslet dictate what happens at the top table. 

1 hour ago, Live after death said:

Thats what i always thought, cannot gave the tail wagging the dog , Leeds average more than the league one clubs put together and about half the championship clubs and generate millions on their own. Why should say Dewsbury Hunslet dictate what happens at the top table. 

"The Articles contain provisions such that, irrespective of the number of Clubs in the Super League, the Championship and League 1, the votes of the Super League Clubs (on the one hand) and the votes of the Championship and League 1 Clubs (on the other hand) carry equal weight. In addition, any resolution must be passed by at least 4 Super League Members and at least 4 Championship or League 1 Members."

https://www.rugby-league.com/governance/about-the-rfl/the-rfl-council

Edited by dboy
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Pay it, it may save money in the long run!

So you know what the proposals will be the Harry?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.