Jump to content

Derek Beaumont: Leigh will win SL or Challenge Cup in 3-5 years


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, HawkMan said:

I've genuinely enjoyed watching Leigh this year, and it'll be good for SL if they establish themselves as a SL regular, and it is possible that Leigh could win SL, just as it's possible Ireland can win RLWC,  Bournemouth can win the Premier League and Lewis Hamilton could win the F1 championship driving a Morris Minor.

It won't be next year though because that's.....😉

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


11 hours ago, Dave T said:

As an aside, why are there no restrictions on overseas players in the championship? 

I think it's because that's where the real RL clubs are, the beating hearts of the heartlands, where they develop their homegrown players and produce the talent and fans which justify shaping the entire sport around their chances of getting a year in the top division every few decades.

Or something like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whilst I'm in agreement that SL needs investment and it's good that clubs can afford to recruit decent talent I'll never be a Beaumont fan. Like Marwan he's an utter gobsheeite but I guess if he brings success (whatever form that takes) Leigh fans won't care one jot. Let's be honest most of the money men in SL are c*ckwombles and aren't the sort of guys most decent folk would want to sit down and have a pint with.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Roy Haggerty said:

I see we're in for another 12 months of daft statements from Mr Beaumont before the inevitable bottom finish.

Leigh are more prepared for a good go at staying up then the previous attempts. We won't be tanking teams every week like this season BUT I think we will pick up points around us !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Andrewj said:

Leigh are more prepared for a good go at staying up then the previous attempts. We won't be tanking teams every week like this season BUT I think we will pick up points around us !!

Whichever club finishes bottom will always get the free two points Saints donate to the bottom side every year. It's a tradition.

But I can't see any of the other 11 clubs being threatened by Leigh. The next weakest squad on paper is probably Wakefield, and they still look fairly comfortably better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Roy Haggerty said:

Whichever club finishes bottom will always get the free two points Saints donate to the bottom side every year. It's a tradition.

But I can't see any of the other 11 clubs being threatened by Leigh. The next weakest squad on paper is probably Wakefield, and they still look fairly comfortably better.

Wakefield have a new internally promoted coach who is so far unknown (as the main man). Can he motivate a team that Warrington and Toulouse kept up ??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I don't doubt that Leigh with Derek's backing has the resources to win silverware.

Here's where I have a problem though, RL in the UK already has several issues around geographical diversity and lack of clubs within large catchment areas. This leads to the major issue with perception the sport has with sponsors and the casual sports and entertainment customer. 

Leigh being in SL in itself compounds this image and makes the competition look even more small time than what it already is.

Gradually over time the world of UK RL is shrinking and is starting to become an echo chamber for supporters of small town clubs to assert their identity in allegiance with their club at the expense of the commercial growth and health of RL overall. To them, this is not just about sport it's about self identity, culture and ownership. To be honest I find many of these supporters and owners selfish, it's the attitude that they should be in SL regardless of the fact that there are 5 or 6 other clubs down the road all competing over what little  sponsors, youth players and supporters are left, this mindset is cannibalising the potential RL has. It's just nonsensical.

In my view IMG made some very good proposals but they didn't go far enough, which is understandable given that these same clubs get to vote on the proposals (turkeys aren't going to vote for Christmas).

In saying this I would have hoped in IMG's plans that clubs outside of SL that do not enhance the geographical diversity of the sport would have to demonstrate that they bring significant added commercial and more importantly strategic value to the competition in order to play in the league. This is taking into account that we now currently have 5 clubs in the North West alone in SL just a few miles apart and 4 in West Yorkshire this is just not sustainable and I wanted IMG to really tackle this imbalance head on. 

Derek Beaumont coming out and saying that Leigh can win silverware in 3-5 years tells me that despite IMG'S well thought through proposals the lunatics are still in charge of the asylum. 

Edited by The Daddy
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Roy Haggerty said:

Whichever club finishes bottom will always get the free two points Saints donate to the bottom side every year. It's a tradition.

But I can't see any of the other 11 clubs being threatened by Leigh. The next weakest squad on paper is probably Wakefield, and they still look fairly comfortably better.

You should add, ' The next weakest squad at this current time.'

I am fairly confident that it will not be the weakest squad on paper come the start of next season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Leigh-On-Kiwi said:

You should add, ' The next weakest squad at this current time.'

I am fairly confident that it will not be the weakest squad on paper come the start of next season. 

Once Leigh shed many of their imports it's not inconceivable that they will be weaker than this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Once Leigh shed many of their imports it's not inconceivable that they will be weaker than this season.

That is the general feeling among Rugby League fans and even some Leigh fans

Dexy gambled everything on getting promotion with all the imports without thinking how he can get Leigh to stay up without the imports

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, lucky 7 said:

That is the general feeling among Rugby League fans and even some Leigh fans

Dexy gambled everything on getting promotion with all the imports without thinking how he can get Leigh to stay up without the imports

I’m sure he has thought about that, but they needed to get promoted first and he’s done that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SalfordSlim said:

Let's be honest most of the money men in SL are c*ckwombles and aren't the sort of guys most decent folk would want to sit down and have a pint with.

This has not remotely been my experience but you do you.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I don't doubt that Leigh with Derek's backing has the resources to win silverware.

Here's where I have a problem though, RL in the UK already has several issues around geographical diversity and lack of clubs within large catchment areas. This leads to the major issue with perception the sport has with sponsors and the casual sports and entertainment customer. 

Leigh being in SL in itself compounds this image and makes the competition look even more small time than what it already is.

Gradually over time the world of UK RL is shrinking and is starting to become an echo chamber for supporters of small town clubs to assert their identity in allegiance with their club at the expense of the commercial growth and health of RL overall. To them, this is not just about sport it's about self identity, culture and ownership. To be honest I find many of these supporters and owners selfish, it's the attitude that they should be in SL regardless of the fact that there are 5 or 6 other clubs down the road all competing over what little  sponsors, youth players and supporters are left, this mindset is cannibalising the potential RL has. It's just nonsensical.

In my view IMG made some very good proposals but they didn't go far enough, which is understandable given that these same clubs get to vote on the proposals (turkeys aren't going to vote for Christmas).

In saying this I would have hoped in IMG's plans that clubs outside of SL that do not enhance the geographical diversity of the sport would have to demonstrate that they bring significant added commercial and more importantly strategic value to the competition in order to play in the league. This is taking into account that we now currently have 5 clubs in the North West alone in SL just a few miles apart and 4 in West Yorkshire this is just not sustainable and I wanted IMG to really tackle this imbalance head on. 

Derek Beaumont coming out and saying that Leigh can win silverware in 3-5 years tells me that despite IMG'S well thought through proposals the lunatics are still in charge of the asylum. 

Can't agree. His comments are just the sort of stuff that his fans associate with. Highly motivational for them. Far better than him being anonymous. 

Added bonus: lots of fun to be had by the rest of us.

  • Like 2

"Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution."

Albert Einstein   (Fat chance on THIS forum)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

That is the general feeling among Rugby League fans and even some Leigh fans

Dexy gambled everything on getting promotion with all the imports without thinking how he can get Leigh to stay up without the imports

Surely you’re not suggesting that a rugby league club has focused solely on the immediate short-term on-field success with no rational planning for building future long-term off-field sustainability?! 

 

I’m shocked! How dare you, sir!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lucky 7 said:

That is the general feeling among Rugby League fans and even some Leigh fans

Dexy gambled everything on getting promotion with all the imports without thinking how he can get Leigh to stay up without the imports

Who are these Dexy's Midnight Runners?

"Stay away from negative people. They have a problem for every solution."

Albert Einstein   (Fat chance on THIS forum)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Number 16 said:

If Beaumont does put his money where his mouth is then fair enough. If they do win either the CC or SL then well done. 

Will it happen?

The coffee's in the perculator... take a sniff.

IMO, if Leigh win a major, from a small town, then RL really is on the skids. 

 

The work you dont see is about not making it a small town - the players have done many coaching sessions outside the Town. Leyth, Bent, Bongs n Burn have well over 100k folk and there has been plenty work done in Bowton and Howton again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Roy Haggerty said:

Surely you’re not suggesting that a rugby league club has focused solely on the immediate short-term on-field success with no rational planning for building future long-term off-field sustainability?! 

 

I’m shocked! How dare you, sir!

That certainly wasn't Leigh this time - 5 year financed plan about to start Y2, should we be in SL for Y3 then the real fun begins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

That is the general feeling among Rugby League fans and even some Leigh fans

Dexy gambled everything on getting promotion with all the imports without thinking how he can get Leigh to stay up without the imports

He didn't as next years Champ squad would have been even stronger if not promoted

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Andrewj said:

Wakefield have a new internally promoted coach who is so far unknown (as the main man). Can he motivate a team that Warrington and Toulouse kept up ??

In fairness though they would have stayed up any year with that number of points. It wasn't because of other teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Derek Beaumont has come across as a complete berk plenty of times , particularly with his social media outbursts (sorry, his son's social media outbursts) and I can't say I look at him with admiration.  This kind of statement would go down a storm in the US, where confidence/arrogance is highly prized, but we prefer a bit of humility here.

But, the irony of all these fans of clubs based in other small Northern towns, or fans of large city clubs who can't get 500 fans through the gate whining about Leigh being small town, full of overseas players, oiks, upstarts and not worthy of joining their perfect clubs in SL is frankly making my teeth hurt.

Good luck to Leigh, but also good luck to all the other clubs around them, whosoever plays well next season compared to their peers will finish higher in the league and well done to them.  We're all supporters of the same sport, but you wouldn't think so sometimes.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

Tell that to London! They were relegated with 10 wins and refused entry to SL based on the fallacy of away fans =£vital cash.
Leigh will be in the mix next year to go down. The owner of a club saying they will win a trophy is hardly bloody news. Ask any of them and they'll all say they will win next year. It's because they are fans that they own the club.
He's more concerned that IMG will figure out that he owns "Wigan-Lite" & once relegated/demoted, they'll never get back up.
 

Good god would that mean we have to play "Landon" forever more?

6,500 Leythers there on Sunday in the Championship, about 10 times the amount of the average number of "Landon" fans when last in SL.👏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...