RLWC Positivity Thread

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Been a shocking year in many ways for so many.

With live coverage on BBC, got to really hope the whole of England latches onto a chance of national sporting success.

What a win!

We all know how the average English sports fan jumps on the bandwagon with success. A convincing win like this on BBC1 with some great tries and new young, vibrant players, that many will have never heard of, is huge for the game.

• Like 4

What a disaster that opening game of the tournament was for the sport...

haha, just kidding. Great win for England. It will be hard to keep a lid on it now with (another) three simple fixtures ahead before a semi final match up.

Feeling very good for the English fans. The excitement is only gonna get better. Looking forward to the Aussies putting down a similar marker shortly. I’ve been so excited all day and now I can’t wait til next weekend already.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Damien said:

We all know how the average English sports fan jumps on the bandwagon with success. A convincing win like this on BBC1 with some great tries and new young, vibrant players, that many will have never heard of, is huge for the game.

It really helps that to a casual sports fan in this country Samoa + rugby is a big deal.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Even the bad thing turned out positive for our group. We had terrible travel problems this morning coming up from Sussex, and only got to our seats just after 2.45 pm, so thank you whoever forgot to put the 50p's in the meter. 🙂

The rest of the day was just, well, you all saw it. Magnificent! 

And the row in front of us was full of southerner students from the University and they absolutely loved it, in fact the more England scored, the more excited they got.

This tournament''s gonna blow up big, I can feel it 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Lets hope those locals are hooked and travel down the road to Middlesborough an a couple of weeks 😜

Let's hope they turn up in Newcastle tomorrow for Scotland v Italy and Fiji Italy next weekend too 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Damien said:

Number 1 sports headline on BBC News, ITV news and Sky Sports News. I'm not sure if I've ever seen that before.

Dare I say it but both the English and Australian wins lead the ABC sports news all day here as well.

Extra glad now I stayed up and watched it, the two hours sleep I got before going to work was worth it because there was no way I wouldn`t have found out the results at work. Even had afl supporters asking me enviously about the tournament.

• Like 3

Two more positives (although one is a little annoying):

1. The England top appears to have sold out. I tried four official stands yesterday including in the Fan Zone and they had none and just gone on the website and there are none.

2. Walking back to the station surrounded by locals all talking about the tickets for other matches they were going to buy. We need to get Thunder into the SL!

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Damien said:

I love this tweet. It is why England playing internationals is so important, it reaches parts the club game just doesnt:

There was a queue of people buying merchandise when I was at the ground. Lots of people wearing the New England shirt too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

1. The England top appears to have sold out. I tried four official stands yesterday including in the Fan Zone and they had none and just gone on the website and there are none.

2. Walking back to the station surrounded by locals all talking about the tickets for other matches they were going to buy. We need to get Thunder into the SL!

On point 2 as a Thunder fan I'd love to be able to convert the locals who enjoyed it yesterday into Thunder fans it's about how we go about that. I'm hoping IMG see the potential and have some ideas.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

The first one is only a positive if they can quickly replenish!