RLWC Positivity Thread

6 hours ago, Jim from Oz said:

Fabulous.

Who is the guy at the left asking the questions?

I've heard his voice all tournament but I don't know who he is. Thanks all.

It's JJ Chalmers. He's been great throughout this World Cup.

He's a pretty well known, invictus medal winner and has done Strictly Come Dancing. He's an inspiring guy:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/strictly-star-jj-chalmers-horrifying-22957387

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Last three world cups.

Done on the last play twice and done with a ridiculous tap tackle.

Given the issues with NH Rugby League, I'd say that is not the worst.

Beats some of the hammerings in the late 90s and 00s. 

On 13/11/2022 at 00:16, Madrileño said:

A new world cup finalist.

In any definition of the modern era, we have seen Australia in every World Cup final. We have seen NZ in almost every final, and we have seen England in the odd final.

Rugby League gets laughed at as having only 2 competitive countries (or occasionally 3).  We all knew Tonga were a handful these last few years, but nobody outside RL did. Now.... we have Samoa 🇼🇸 as first time world cup finalists, with an outside chance of winning the thing. The sport  another ge uine 'contender' that it has been crying out for, for years. 

There is certainly the chance to ruin union in both Samoa and Tonga. Now, if they can work on Fiji too with the larger population and PNG continues to improve, we are going places.n

31 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

England have been involved in some right old classics in the last WCs. And against 3 different teams:

There is some fire in the belly of this sport internationally. Let’s hope this positivity continues…

A total points difference of 5 points over 3 games is quite remarkable. For all the doom and gloom it doesn't exactly say we are miles off these teams, like some like to portray.

• Like 4

Similar to a previous poster with regard to how Saturday's match drew in my whole family. My 9 year-old son couldn't handle it.

Started crying after the intercept, went away, came back after we levelled. Gutted at the end. 

But throughout the second half my whole family were leaping about, shouting and screaming. My 11 year old daughter who pays no attention to any sport was really getting into it. 

My kids now know what a wonderful sport RL is. 

• Like 6

Do not fear; only BELIEVE

4 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Similar to a previous poster with regard to how Saturday's match drew in my whole family. My 9 year-old son couldn't handle it.

Started crying after the intercept, went away, came back after we levelled. Gutted at the end. 

But throughout the second half my whole family were leaping about, shouting and screaming. My 11 year old daughter who pays no attention to any sport was really getting into it. 

My kids now know what a wonderful sport RL is. 

You weren't in the upper tier clock end were you?

There was a family near me and the kids were screaming, proper getting into it, the younger lad knew all the players names though and was shouting encouragement to them, he was in tears at the end too.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, meast said:

You weren't in the upper tier clock end were you?

There was a family near me and the kids were screaming, proper getting into it, the younger lad knew all the players names though and was shouting encouragement to them, he was in tears at the end too.

Nah, this was all in my living room!

We went to the opening match and my son said it was the best day of his life. 

7 hours ago, Leonard said:

Last three world cups.

Done on the last play twice and done with a ridiculous tap tackle.

Given the issues with NH Rugby League, I'd say that is not the worst.

Beats some of the hammerings in the late 90s and 00s. 

Which is why I always have to laugh at Wilkin and his insights, well I guess he certainly has experience of how not to do it, having being part of the 2008 debacle. 

It was great at the Emirates, despite the result, watching people being drawn into the drama as the game went on, and the atmosphere in last 15/20 minutes was fantastic. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, meast said:

Ahh, I thought you meant at the stadium 🙂 

Hopefully your kids will have plenty more to cheer in the coming years?

Well, I haven't for 40 years so it was a realistic introduction to rugby league. 

• Haha 1

As I just wrote on the match thread.  The Australia PNG Women's semi final was the lead story on the BBC sport website and now it is the England New Zealand game.

This is massive progress for the sport from just a few years ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 12/11/2022 at 23:04, GeordieSaint said:

I was sat in the lower tier - C block. The atmosphere in that second half was exceptional and very noisy. There were very few northerners sat anywhere near us.

I was sat near a bunch of toffs (aged 18-25), wearing jackets and ties. Felt very weird in a rugby league environment, but just shows that international footy transcends demographics and breaks down barriers........................which is also sadly why we as a sport have generally failed to do so (because we don't play enough international footy!)

Edited by DoubleD
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, meast said:

How brilliant is this picture?

And to think there's some dinosaurs out there and on here that still think women shouldn't be playing RL and the women's game shouldn't be supported, funded etc.

pCFYVmu.jpeg

Completely agree. Hopefully this has inspired girls to take up the game and become fans. I'm sure it will have. There's a lot of potential for growth in the women's game 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, meast said:

How brilliant is this picture?

And to think there's some dinosaurs out there and on here that still think women shouldn't be playing RL and the women's game shouldn't be supported, funded etc.

pCFYVmu.jpeg

For a bit more context, the fans are also her students at the school she works at. 

• Like 1