RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

3 hours ago, meast said:

I heard a few conversations at York on Monday regarding this, rugby lionesses was mentioned to differentiate between the soccer lionesses.

Also, princesses, in reference to knights etc was seemingly favoured, I do think having a tag name would expand the brand.

Please Nooooooo  - We could anglicise York Valkyrie's name, and become England Angels of Death

3 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Please.....no to the "princesses".  The name should reflect the nature of the team and the sport - it is not played by princesses. 

Nor by Knights, Warriors,  Wolves, Broncos,  Saints, Bulls, Hornets......

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Nor by Knights, Warriors,  Wolves, Broncos,  Saints, Bulls, Hornets......

I note that you exclude the leopard.

This is because the leopard is the true rugby league animal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Jacob565 said:

35000 went to the spurs stadium on Sunday to watch a b-list barbarians team play the NZ A team. Puts the semi-final crowd into a bit of context.

It doesn’t. We are not as popular as RU. We are a niche sport; and a small one at that. RU is a bigger niche sport, with a significantly bigger international interest market across the population. I really don’t like comparing ourselves against RU.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

It doesn’t. We are not as popular as RU. We are a niche sport; and a small one at that. RU is a bigger niche sport, 

Bigger or not, England are arranging matches for their top team at Rochdale, Warrington and Leigh, while overseas union countries are arranging fixtures for themselves at proper stadia in London. 

35k for NZ union's second team. Not the All Blacks, but their equivalent of England Knights. Yet for some reason we make the Kiwis play actual World Cup games at a completely deserted Hull!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Please.....no to the "princesses".  The name should reflect the nature of the team and the sport - it is not played by princesses. 

That was my thought on hearing two blokes discussing this, I get where they're coming from but I don't think princesses or "knighties" would really work.

I think "rugby lionesses" would work, the RU girls are known as "red roses" I believe? so RL could claim this one?

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

It doesn’t. We are not as popular as RU. We are a niche sport; and a small one at that. RU is a bigger niche sport, with a significantly bigger international interest market across the population. I really don’t like comparing ourselves against RU.

I got chatting to and drinking with a bunch of lovable Kiwi rogues on Saturday night in Highbury and they were saying they weren't even aware the all blacks were playing until someone mentioned it over the countless empty glasses they were stashing 🙂 

I think they said they would go along as their local's landlord was a big RU dude and he'd sort them tickets, hope they enjoyed themselves?

3 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Bigger or not, England are arranging matches for their top team at Rochdale, Warrington and Leigh, while overseas union countries are arranging fixtures for themselves at proper stadia in London. 

35k for NZ union's second team. Not the All Blacks, but their equivalent of England Knights. Yet for some reason we make the Kiwis play actual World Cup games at a completely deserted Hull!

Yes but they have to watch the world’s worst “sport”. I feel so very sad for them. 

3 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Hull wasn't completely deserted, there was 3 of us Giants in attendance.... even though we don't have fans and bring nothing..... .blah blah  😄 

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I note that you exclude the leopard.

This is because the leopard is the true rugby league animal.

Jaguar, surely?

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

"Rugby" anything, would be a disaster.

"Rugby" means rugby union to effectively the entire world nowadays. 

Considering the relative positions though, is piggybacking on that somewhat necessarily a bad thing?

1 minute ago, Chris22 said:

Jon Dutton has confirmed that between 63,000 and 64,000 tickets have been sold for Saturday. Will look great on TV, hopefully we'll get through the 65,000 mark.

Shame England couldn't make it. That's probably c. £500k in revenue left on the table - less VAT.