Train strike

1 hour ago, Anita Bath said:

On saturday 5 Nov….the day of the Wigan QF likely to be England v lebanon or Ireland.

Thats wonderful…..flying in from Australia on Thursday 3rd and will now be unable to get to the game.

Anybody looking to buy a single ticket for the game please pm me.

They’ll be playing PNG actually.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

On saturday 5 Nov….the day of the Wigan QF likely to be England v lebanon or Ireland.

Thats wonderful…..flying in from Australia on Thursday 3rd and will now be unable to get to the game.

Why unable? Have you explored the options? Anyone on here able to help?

• Like 2

Bit dramatic. Where are you staying?

Other transport options are available.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

4 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Plenty of Busses mate.

You spend about £1,000 to fly in but won't spend ( im assuming your coming from London) £50 on a bus ticket or even £150 to fly to Manchester.... maybe you like being the victim.

Have you any Leigh games planned??🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some train services will run (much reduced obviously) so it’s not great but there will be options.

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

5 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Its bonfire night so least you can get a Toffee Apple instead. 

6 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

How will you get there when there is a train strike on? 😱

You misread the post.

I won't be attending. Avanti are a holes too.

On 19/10/2022 at 16:25, Mr Frisky said:

Plenty of Busses mate.

You spend about £1,000 to fly in but won't spend ( im assuming your coming from London) £50 on a bus ticket or even £150 to fly to Manchester.... maybe you like being the victim.

Have you any Leigh games planned??🤔

Help from hertfordshire!

Do you realise there is no direct bus service from wigan to Manchester (according to Greater Manchester Transport website).

We are not as well endowed with bus routes  “up North’”. A legacy of dear Mrs T’s privatisation policies. Public transport  Escaped the levelling up policies it appears.

I didnt spend “about 1000” to go to this game. I spent it to go to three (now 2)  QFs, both SFs and the final. So spending plenty already. How about you.

I could spend umpteen hours across multiple bus transfers winding my way across the NW i suppose. But it would work out cheaper to cut my losses and go to a premier league game that I can walk to.  That way I can avoid disappointing the people who have arranged a family reunion for Saturday evening and are coming from all over the UK (except those planning to travel by train) …in case you missed it we havent been able to travel for three years.

So yes Maybe I like playing the victim. (Jeez….life is so simple in Hertfordshire).

But thanks for your help and advice.

• Haha 1

On 19/10/2022 at 02:47, Anita Bath said:

Try Stagecoach, one change Manchester to Wigan. A day ticket costs about £5.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Our correspondent used the word 'direct' on purpose.

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Help from hertfordshire!

Do you realise there is no direct bus service from wigan to Manchester (according to Greater Manchester Transport website).

We are not as well endowed with bus routes  “up North’”. A legacy of dear Mrs T’s privatisation policies. Public transport  Escaped the levelling up policies it appears.

I didnt spend “about 1000” to go to this game. I spent it to go to three (now 2)  QFs, both SFs and the final. So spending plenty already. How about you.

I could spend umpteen hours across multiple bus transfers winding my way across the NW i suppose. But it would work out cheaper to cut my losses and go to a premier league game that I can walk to.  That way I can avoid disappointing the people who have arranged a family reunion for Saturday evening and are coming from all over the UK (except those planning to travel by train) …in case you missed it we havent been able to travel for three years.

So yes Maybe I like playing the victim. (Jeez….life is so simple in Hertfordshire).

But thanks for your help and advice.

🤣🤣 its about 20 miles from Manchester to Wigan mate - jump in an Uber - say £30 ish? - still better than losing your flight money.

As I said - easy solution if you want to make it work.

Don't worry about me mate, this season alone I've been to 3 NRL games, SL games, the Challenge cup final, many Lg1 games, the Cumbria V Jamaica game and ill be attending 4 WC games - if a train isn't running I just use a bit of common sense and sort it out rather than complaining. 

5 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

According to stagecoah website 5.08am arrive wigan 7.15am but no return journey available!
National express only running from west yorkshire for that game.

So looks like its either 30 quid each way in an uber as per Friskys helpful suggestion or I go to City v Fulham for 30 quid and keep the other 30 quid in my pocket.

I dont think Ill need to toss a coin.

• Thanks 1

Travel Friday, stay at Swan and Railway (if it has availability) opposite station and close to ground. There are several other hotels within walking distance or short bus journey to the ground.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

When the rail strikes are on my Son lives in Hindley. 

He gets a bus to Leigh and the V1 to Manchester. 

So, If you get to John Dalton Street in Manchester, you can hop on the V1 bus to Leigh.

On arrival get the number 8 to Wigan. 

Also Andy Burnham says the maximum cost for a  destination  within Greater Manchester area is £2.

So Manchester to Wigan is £2 and the buses are very regular.

I only post as my son does it.

Hope this assists.

Metrolink to Trafford Centre, bus 132 from Trafford Centre to Wigan (https://assets.ctfassets.net/nv7y93idf4jq/67VnbuXhhljiVKTxks9Tq8/5a71b3e923f56d56c25ee68a7f4fcad9/126_132_22-SC-0134.pdf) is just one solution I found with about a minute's research.

I really don't think we are talking about the world's most challenging public transport journey here, trains or no trains.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

16 minutes ago, Thunder Road said:

On arrival get the number 8 to Wigan. 

Get the No.10 to Wigan, it goes straight past the ground, Get off at the Saddle at Newtown.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.