Leigh changing their name? Bored journo doing a rumour?

25 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I'm as quick as anyone at having a laugh at the expense of Beaumont, Leigh and its perspiring  representatives on here. Easy targets. They give it and they take it. 

However, it's undeniable that Leigh are shaking things up and setting an example in grabbing the headlines. 

Is ambition bad? What's wrong with Beaumont rebranding the club in the way he has? Come next season, they are going to ruffle some feathers on the field as well as off. 

The actual ambition (the signings, womens team, academy) has been lost amongst a vanity project that would have been done better by a teenager. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

No need to be racist, why isn't a snow leopard an actual leopard? 

Sorry, I'm 48, it's my upbringing. I try hard to be better every day, but sometimes my inner Alf Garnett comes out. 

These b**dy snow leopards, coming over here, stealing our rugby clubs. Send them back!

• Haha 9

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

39 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I'm as quick as anyone at having a laugh at the expense of Beaumont, Leigh and its perspiring  representatives on here. Easy targets. They give it and they take it. 

However, it's undeniable that Leigh are shaking things up and setting an example in grabbing the headlines. 

Is ambition bad? What's wrong with Beaumont rebranding the club in the way he has? Come next season, they are going to ruffle some feathers on the field as well as off. 

Nothing wrong with rebranding if its done well and for good reason 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

A marketing expert tweets.

sadler-leighleopards.jpg

Sorry Martin but I have never been one to be taken in by hype, I see things and make my own conclusions. So go on then explain to me what is the rationale about throwing away 100+ years of heritage, whenever you look at photographs of Leigh winning things (not to many of those) or team snaps from years gone by even if they are in monochrome your mind readily accepts that the hoops are Cherry and White synonymous with Leigh Rugby League Football Club.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

your mind readily accepts that the hoops are Cherry and White synonymous with Leigh Rugby League Football Club.

To be fair to the rebranders nobody thinks "Rugby League" and "cherry and white" and then thinks, "ah yes that's synonymous with Leigh".

If distinctive club colours is important to you then repositioning the Leigh brand should have happened a long time ago.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've been trying to think who that African dictator was that always wore leopard skin. I think it was an African dictator anyway, seem to remember seeing a picture in a book. I know there was Mabuto Sese-Seko (might be spelt wrong) from Congo who always wore a leopard skin hat but can't think of the other guy. 

Do we think Leigh are gonna do some sort of pre-match war dance or song or something like the leopard clad Zulus do in the film of the same name? 

You are getting mixed up again Goosey, you are thinking of James Earl Jones as Eddie Murphy's dad in Coming to America.

Edit. reading further into the thread I see I was beaten to this.

Edited by Harry Stottle

1 minute ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

To be fair to the rebranders nobody thinks "Rugby League" and "cherry and white" and then thinks, "ah yes that's synonymous with Leigh".

If distinctive club colours is important to you then repositioning the Leigh brand should have happened a long time ago.

You are right in that now, anywhere in the world, when people think of a photo of a leopard pooing out shirt numbers, they will think of Leigh RLFC.

• Haha 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 minutes ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

But the people who matter in this instance do, the fan's.

Just wait for Beaumont's next outrage when the expected number of season ticket sales are low.

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You are right in that now, anywhere in the world, when people think of a photo of a leopard pooing out shirt numbers, they will think of Leigh RLFC.

I thought about this Ginger, the popular side at Leigh is the North Stand behind the goals, what we will all see in the future when ever the opposition are kicking off or Leigh have conceded a try is the R'se end of a big feline, good stuff☹

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

I thought about this Ginger, the popular side at Leigh is the North Stand behind the goals, what we will all see in the future when ever the opposition are kicking off or Leigh have conceded a try is the R'se end of a big feline, good stuff☹

It is beyond parody.

And, as much as we often don't see eye to eye, I do feel for Leigh fans on this one. If there was even a semblance of it being done because it was about greater connection with the fans, or something like that, then I think it would be better. People would still be joking but more as a critical friend.

This really is just one man's ego explosion.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, binosh said:

The first man through the wall always gets the bloodiest.

Is that the design of the away shirt?

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sorry Martin but I have never been one to be taken in by hype, I see things and make my own conclusions. So go on then explain to me what is the rationale about throwing away 100+ years of heritage, whenever you look at photographs of Leigh winning things (not to many of those) or team snaps from years gone by even if they are in monochrome your mind readily accepts that the hoops are Cherry and White synonymous with Leigh Rugby League Football Club.

To be fair Harry any footage I've seen of Leigh winning anything is in Black and White so this new strip fits in quite well.

Its going to cost a fortune to change the seats though....

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've been trying to think who that African dictator was that always wore leopard skin. I think it was an African dictator anyway, seem to remember seeing a picture in a book. I know there was Mabuto Sese-Seko (might be spelt wrong) from Congo who always wore a leopard skin hat but can't think of the other guy. 

Do we think Leigh are gonna do some sort of pre-match war dance or song or something like the leopard clad Zulus do in the film of the same name? 

There's one now G Omar al-Bashir he' s a war criminal and dictator in Darfur who always wears real leopard skin shoes