Leigh changing their name? Bored journo doing a rumour?

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

To be fair Harry any footage I've seen of Leigh winning anything is in Black and White so this new strip fits in quite well.

Its going to cost a fortune to change the seats though....

That's unfair Frisky, I recall they utilised proper transport though in getting to venue unlike the Worky player's on a horse drawn carriage when they were last successful.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Degsy wanted the oxygen of publicity and he's certainly got that, and it's got people talking about him and the club and made more people aware of the club. Mission accomplished for him and the club, and it might even attract new sponsors to the club.

There’s also the sound of laughter and anger within that ‘talking about the club’ bit.

In fact there’s a lot of noise now that is overshadowing the good things he is doing for Leigh.

Think we all want them to be competitive and make the top flight interesting.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Degsy wanted the oxygen of publicity and he's certainly got that, and it's got people talking about him and the club and made more people aware of the club. Mission accomplished for him and the club, and it might even attract new sponsors to the club.

Who? Residents of "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

If his ego is that big that he thinks the entire RL community laughing at him is a ‘win’ he needs help

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

There’s also the sound of laughter and anger within that ‘talking about the club’ bit.

In fact there’s a lot of noise now that is overshadowing the good things he is doing for Leigh.

That's my issue with it. Even if the kit was red and black, like the summer bash kit last year, with a better badge (like the Juniors), then there might be more talk about the signings, women's team and u15s/16s teams next year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I've been trying to think who that African dictator was that always wore leopard skin. I think it was an African dictator anyway, seem to remember seeing a picture in a book. I know there was Mabuto Sese-Seko (might be spelt wrong) from Congo who always wore a leopard skin hat but can't think of the other guy. 

Do we think Leigh are gonna do some sort of pre-match war dance or song or something like the leopard clad Zulus do in the film of the same name? 

allow me to help you out - I think you're thinking of Jean-Bedel Bokassa, who declared himself emperor of the Central African Republic (which then became briefly the Central African Empire) and spent a third of the nation's annual income on his coronation in 1977. But Mobutu was more your leopard skin wearer.

Edited by iffleyox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Indeed. A few pages back someone listed about 8 positive things that were also announced. They are not being discussed at all, indeed I had never heard mention of them, and they have been completely overshadowed by this rebrand. Even 10 new signings haven't had a look in. Positives being overlooked is not good for the club and ridicule does not encourage sponsors to get on board either.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, phiggins said:

That's my issue with it. Even if the kit was red and black, like the summer bash kit last year, with a better badge (like the Juniors), then there might be more talk about the signings, women's team and u15s/16s teams next year.

You’re right, really those things you list could have been a bigger talking point.

Adding black to your colour scheme is a common enough thing by sports teams but dropping the cherry red and the hoops is a bit much.

Despite the ridicule the name is getting, I think had that been the only change then fans would have given it a go maybe as the old moniker was hardly loved.

But the redesign of the shirt and colour scheme just smacks of greed and thoughts of merchandise sales without any consideration for the fans.

They could have done it gradually ‘trad’ home, ‘mad’ away or an alternate jersey ‘colour rush’ NFL type jersey.

To add to the confusion I’ve read from Degsy that there has been careful research done yet the marketing rationale is this is the big boss’ personal favourite.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

You’re right, really those things you list could have been a bigger talking point.

Adding black to your colour scheme is a common enough thing by sports teams but dropping the red and the hoops is a bit much.

Despite the ridicule the name is getting, I think had that been the only change then fans would have given it a go maybe as the old moniker was hardly loved.

But the redesign of the shirt and colour scheme just smacks of greed and thoughts of merchandise sales without any consideration for the fans.

They could have done it gradually ‘trad’ home, ‘mad’ away or an alternate jersey ‘colour rush’ NFL type jersey.

To add to the confusion I’ve read from Degsy that there has been careful research done yet the marketing rationale is this is the big boss’ personal favourite.

If there had been any market research we’d surely have seen it in that GCSE level presentation they published, actually that’s unfair to GCSE students 

• Like 2

You’re all laughing but have you secured a contract to supply decking to all the lodges at Leopard Rock?

Maybe he has, maybe he hasn’t 

Maybe he’ll U turn, maybe he won’t 

Maybe he’s doing doughnuts in his Lambo frustrated that everyone isn’t impressed 

But we’re all talking….

granted it’s all about him, but he laps that up…. and probably milk from a bowl 

The Big I Am has spoken and as he puts all the money in, he is allowed to do whatever he wants.

I’m old and probably like things like tradition, club colours etc more than some people. But if they win games, that’s all most people will be bothered about.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

I hope as an aside that this doesn’t spoil Leigh fans enjoyment and anticipation of next year too much.

Its obvious how loyal most Leigh fans are to Degsy and will fight his corner, but I think this has the capacity to split the fanbase a bit at a time when they should be positive.

Hope I’m wrong and that some compromise can be reached especially over the colours.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, amm said:

You’re all laughing but have you secured a contract to supply decking to all the lodges at Leopard Rock?

Maybe he has, maybe he hasn’t 

Maybe he’ll U turn, maybe he won’t 

Maybe he’s doing doughnuts in his Lambo frustrated that everyone isn’t impressed 

But we’re all talking….

granted it’s all about him, but he laps that up…. and probably milk from a bowl 

The Big I Am has spoken and as he puts all the money in, he is allowed to do whatever he wants.

I’m old and probably like things like tradition, club colours etc more than some people. But if they win games, that’s all most people will be bothered about.

And if they lose games?

Personally I don’t like the attitude of well he’s got loads of money so he can do what he wants. RL clubs are steeped in history and tradition and are bigger than one mans ego.

• Like 2

You know there are often times that after the initial shock of a complete rebrand you look at it the next day and with a more rational head you appreciate the details and thought behind it. 

This is not one of those times. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, pahars said:

You know there are often times that after the initial shock of a complete rebrand you look at it the next day and with a more rational head you appreciate the details and thought behind it. 

This is not one of those times. 

I think it’s gotten worse if anything 

• Like 1